Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Suckers for muskies

Message Subject: Suckers for muskies
Fishin'Fanatic
Posted 3/28/2012 2:46 PM (#549127)
Subject: Suckers for muskies

I was thinking about maybe trying out fishing with suckers this year and was wondering how everyone setss their rigs up. My main question would be do u use weight in front of the sucker? Thank you
esox1980
Posted 3/28/2012 2:51 PM (#549129 - in reply to #549127)
Subject: Re: Suckers for muskies

Absolutely!!! I almost alway use rubber core lead weights to be specific and attach them on my line directly above the leader. Even with heavy weights suckers seem to find the energy to swim anywhere they want when a Muskie checks them out.

Edited by esox1980 3/28/2012 2:52 PM
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/29/2012 1:33 PM (#549334 - in reply to #549127)
Subject: RE: Suckers for muskies

Rubbercores are handy to weight them for sure. I've had suckers that go down by themselves and then I love to run them free of weights. But sometimes you may need lots of lead to get them down, some people use 1/2 pound or more. I usually go with about 1-3 oz. on average. The trick for fishing them effectively in the deeper wter is to use them like you are Lindy Rigging them, as vertical as possible keeps snags to a minimum.
musky chimes
Posted 3/29/2012 9:21 PM (#549444 - in reply to #549334)

I use a leader thats about 3 feet long and i put an oz weight in the center of that leader . This puts the lead ahead of the sucker far enough so it doesnt effect the harness when the fish moves around or you make a turn . Also try a bobber with a release clip on it so when you set the hook it detaches from your line. This gives you the best hooksets possible. WHat kinda harnesses are you using?
mtcook16
Posted 3/30/2012 9:07 AM (#549513 - in reply to #549127)

I have seen rigs that have stay-loc snaps run through the barrel swivel where you tie the line on. Then guys will clip on bell sinkers or pyramid style weights of about 1-3oz+ depending on sucker size and other conditions
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/30/2012 1:34 PM (#549584 - in reply to #549513)

i would never put rubber core sinkers on wire leaders or line it can cause week spots in line and kink leaders. Some of the rubber cores have sharp edges that can cut line-seen it done...
I teamed up with Stealth tackle last year to make a quick strike rig. The only rig on the market that comes with its own weight ( a 1oz bell sinker that is connected to the ball bearing swivel at top of rig with split ring so you can change it if needed or take off if running shallow.
It comes in Single and double treble models, I use the single for suckers 10"-13" and run the two hook model on anything bigger than that.
If you click on video link on this page you can watch video of me catching 3 fish on this rig in one day. You will have too scroll back 3-4 pages to find it
I would never buy anything that has barrel swivels on it either they will break,
Good Luck,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 3/30/2012 1:45 PM
lb test.
Posted 3/30/2012 4:02 PM (#549617 - in reply to #549127)

the weakest link is the weakest link.
If you use a 200 lb barrel swivel but Stealth uses 165lb bb swivels which one breaks first?
I know the answer!
esox1980
Posted 3/30/2012 6:29 PM (#549636 - in reply to #549127)

Do what suits you. Some guys love to get complex and superiority in complexity. I can only tell you my opinion which is rubber core are fine. I've caught to many muskies to count using them and have never experienced issues with them fraying line or kinking leaders. I've fished weeks throughout the fall with the same rig tied and have never lost a fish from using a rubber core. I'm sure stealth leader makes a fine product and I will probably try them this fall, thank you Jeff. But don't be afraid to use something that is effective, cheap, and most of all simple.
Juhas
Posted 3/31/2012 4:39 AM (#549670 - in reply to #549636)

I'm going to back Jeff on this one. His new rig is one of the easiest ones out there. It uses Stealth's simple nose hook which takes seconds to hook up andis almost invisable in the water. As far as terminal tackle Stealth is using the same rings and swivels as their leaders. Quality stuff made right here in the United States.
Chris
edalz
Posted 3/31/2012 10:48 AM (#549719 - in reply to #549127)

Jeff's rig looks great and you can't get better quality than Stealth.
Posted 3/31/2012 12:56 PM (#549734 - in reply to #549127)

"If you use a 200 lb barrel swivel but Stealth uses 165lb bb swivels which one breaks first?"
Neither should break on anything we fish for. Stealth doesnt make a 165# Swivel.
musky chimes
Posted 4/1/2012 2:38 AM (#549871 - in reply to #549584)

i mount the leader in two separate pieces top piece is 49 stand and the back piece is nickle titanium . about a foot and a half to each section of wire . then i get the guppy weights from the planner board / down rigger isle because it has a hole on its top and at its tail to which i mount my two ends of wire . The stiffer nickel titanium forces the weight to stay in front of the suckers head while the other wire goes straight up towards the bobber. this keeps the sucker from swimming through the line thats in front of him even when you make sharp turns with your boat or the boats stopped . I would never use a rubber core leader ever let alone mount it to stranded wire. You should check out the harness i make they come with this leader and a fast clip bobber . Plus it has the best ft off harness money can buy! pm me and i can show you what im takin about
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)