Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> cabelas boat cover sizing question...update

Reply New post
Message Subject: cabelas boat cover sizing question...update
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/4/2012 7:04 AM (#543416)
Subject: cabelas boat cover sizing question...update

anyone have any experience with the cabelas ratchet lok boat covers? their website shows them on sale for 50% off and i am considering it. even after reading the reviews on the cabelas site concerning what some have said about sizing i am confused about what size would be best since some have said yes they run big and some have said no.
my boat is a 2006 starcraft c-star dual consol fish n ski - 16' 6" / 89" beam / 89" transom.
the sizes that they list that are close to my boat size are..
- 16' length - max beam 85" - transom width 88"
- 17' length - max beam 85" - transom width 88"
- 18' length - max beam 92" - transom width 95"
what size would be best keeping in mind i do have a bow mount trolling motor on it and i will be trailering the boat with the cover on, if that makes any difference.
any other comments about the durability of these covers would also be greatly appreciated...thanks...

Edited by STUSHSKY 3/7/2012 1:43 PM
VMS
Posted 3/4/2012 7:35 AM (#543418 - in reply to #543416)
Subject: Re: cabelas boat cover sizing question...

Hiya,

Better to be big than small. And...seeing as though you have a beam and transom of 89", the last one is the only one that fits.

Also, with a bow mount motor, the extra amount should hopefully cover that as well without too much issue.

Steve

Edited by VMS 3/4/2012 7:36 AM
muskihntr
Posted 3/4/2012 4:23 PM (#543511 - in reply to #543416)

Bought one in December when they were on sale. The cover itself was great, however it just didnt fit my boat well. It really didnt seem to be designed to fit over a bow mount well (at least for my model). I wound up returning it. I was very disappointed it didnt fit well because it was a really nice cover for the money, I wish it would have fit better.
jadrian1951
Posted 3/4/2012 7:29 PM (#543543 - in reply to #543416)

Was at cabela's today to buy a discounted universal cover they had in the store and when I asked the salesman to confirm my choice for my boat he asked my exact boat model and looked it up in the catalogue and suggested the custom cover for the boat and it was actually a little cheaper but I came home empty handed as it will be shipped directly to the house. 1999 tracker tournament v18, $183.74 total delivered. Complete with attached rachet straps and storage bag.
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/5/2012 6:38 AM (#543598 - in reply to #543543)

thanks for the input. i went ahead and picked up the 18' - 92" max beam - 95" transom width size in hopes that the extra 1 1/2' in length might give me what i need at the bow to fit up over the trolling motor and back under. the material seems even more heavy duty than the custom cover that was made for the boat when i bought it new. i will let everyone know how it fits when the weather lets me try it on in a couple days...
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/7/2012 1:39 PM (#544320 - in reply to #543598)

the extra 1 1/2' on the 18'er had way too much extra to hide on the 16'6" boat. cabelas happily took it back and i went with the 17' size and it fits very nice. the dual ratchet system for tightening the straps that are in the side seams work very well for a really tight fit all the way around the hull. on my boat there is about 8" of cover left that goes down over both side rails onto the side of the hull. at the bow the cover does bunch up a little over top of the trolling motor since there is no built in boot like there is on a custom one but it fits snuggly underneath and up over the motor. i will need to put a piece of thick foam padding or something between the cover and the motor since it is really tight across it. the cover came with 3 tiedown straps for each side and it looks like that will be enough but it would be easy to add more if you wanted to. i was able to re-use the two vented support poles from my old cover which was nice. all in all for $175.00 (which is 50% off the regular price) it looks like a very good cover and i see no reason why it won't do well on the road too...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)