Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It doesn't matter how good you think you are, or even how good your friends tell you you are, if the Muskies aren't moving, your ####ed. ----Experienced Muskie Angler

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Topwater Prop Baits

Message Subject: Topwater Prop Baits
mroyten
Posted 2/19/2012 10:27 PM (#539830)
Subject: Topwater Prop Baits

In process of making some of my first hard baits ever, and getting pumped! This might turn into an obsession! Couple questions though....

1. For rear prop baits, how do would I keep the front part of the body stationary so it doesn't slide back into the rear prop? I plan on having one wire through the entire bait and didn't plan on having two pieces of wire (one for the front and one for the rear prop).

2. I'm using poplar wood for this round @ 1.5" diameter, any suggestions for the amount to weight it and where? Making 4 baits from 6-8" long.

Any other tips would be appreciated as well.
wavridr
Posted 2/22/2012 7:36 AM (#540422 - in reply to #539830)
Subject: RE: Topwater Prop Baits

To keep the body from sliding back and pinching the rear prop, solder a small piece of brass tubing onto the shaft.
knooter
Posted 2/23/2012 10:50 AM (#540829 - in reply to #539830)
Subject: Re: Topwater Prop Baits

When you tie the front loop in the wire, make a good dozen or so wraps before cutting off the tag end. These extra wraps will give a good surface to hold once epoxied in place. When you slide the wire in, make sure you fill the hole liberally with epoxy. Try to get epoxy all the way into the hole so you have a bond the length of the body. It won't go anywhere if you do that.
MartinTD
Posted 2/23/2012 11:00 AM (#540833 - in reply to #539830)

Is it even necessary to make the body stationary? I made a few topwaters for the first time this year myself and I only epoxied the wire in the body (as knooter describes) on the last one. Looking at some of the prop baits I have, topraiders and pacemakers have a stationary body. But the suick nitewalker's body slides back on the wire along with the tail section. I think as long as you put a bead or a small washer in between the body and tail section you should be fine. When the body slides back against the bead it will not be enough pressure to keep the tail from turning or anything like that. At least I hope... the first 3 I made this year, both parts slide on the shaft but I haven't had a chance to test.
kodiak
Posted 2/23/2012 11:05 AM (#540834 - in reply to #539830)

you dont want a prop bait that rolls, your hook will be out of the water half the time
mroyten
Posted 2/26/2012 12:12 PM (#541709 - in reply to #540834)

Thanks for the info, I have a grasp on what I plan to do!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)