Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> TI rod ??

Message Subject: TI rod ??
Muskie4Life
Posted 12/30/2011 1:58 AM (#530612)
Subject: TI rod ??

Looking to get a Tackle Industry rod and wanted to see what strength to get. This will be to throw rubber and dbl 10's. Was thinking the XXH was what I wanted, any thoughts. This would be the 9' telescoping rods.

Thanks
Guest II
Posted 12/30/2011 5:13 AM (#530615 - in reply to #530612)
Subject: RE: TI rod ??

I would second the TI rods great product and great price. BUT! I do not believe that any rod from any company is good for both plastic and big bucktails. I have the 9' xxh for plastic and the xh for dbl 10's. I truely believe it is only a marketing ploy to sell product rather than a true statement that one rod can be used most effeciently for large plastic and dbl 10's
Chubs
Posted 12/30/2011 6:28 AM (#530617 - in reply to #530612)

I agree. I have a different rod for each. I would get the XH (3-12) instead of the XXH (8-36). My buddy has one of the XXH and they are just too heavy for anything I want to throw. They're probably for pounders. I prefer something like a long 2-7 oz. for dbl 10's. You might like something heavier, so that 3-12 would fit the bill. It should be ideal for rubber to big rubber like Mag Dawgs etc. I have a 4-16 oz. Bulldawg series rod, and find it is too heavy for most of the things I want to do (it was listed as a 3-12 in the catalog). I doubt you'll like the XXH for double 10's.......at all.......or regular rubber.
Posted 12/30/2011 8:14 AM (#530622 - in reply to #530612)

I have both the XH and the XXH TI rods. The XXH is not ther right one if you want to throw double tens with it. You can do more with the XH. I like the XXH for big rubber. They have been a very good rod for me.

Jeff
muskyjim123
Posted 1/2/2012 4:27 AM (#530972 - in reply to #530622)

I have been using the 9ft xxh with trinidad 14 for double tens a lot and like it a lot. Looks like I may be missing out some by not using a xh for double tens. Thinking of using the xxh for rubber baits and buying xh for double tens. I use the xxh to throw 10's but also 13's and some 15's as well. Does anyone know how the xh rod is with double 13 and 15's?
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/2/2012 8:29 AM (#530986 - in reply to #530612)
Subject: Re: TI rod ??

The majority of my customers use the XH for double 10s and the XXH for big rubber. I personally use the XXH for almost everything BUT for the lighter baits I do have to watch my reel settings so I do not birds nest on every other throw. When using my XH for double 10s I hardly ever birds nest my reel. I know, I am lazy But I like my really nice reel on my XXH so that is why I tend to use my XXH rod more for everything. Just need to save up and buy another TE400 for my XH rod. AS for the double 13s, the XH is a very nice rod for that as well and loads up very nicely.

FYI-The below Retailers all have my rods for the $120 special right now too.
Big Wood Musky Lures
CAVE RUN MUSKY PRO SHOP
Flambeau River Outfitters
Franglais Fishing
Michigan Muskie Shop
Musky Tackle Online
Ross's Sports Shop
Visit www.tackleindustries.com for the full list of specifications for all of my rods. If any of the above retailers do not have the rod you are looking for we do drop ship for all of them directly to your door. Shipping cost may vary for some of the global retailers, otherwise in the USA its $120 total. You just pay them and let them know your address and rod model you need and I will ship ASAP.
Thanks
James
wkeegobbler
Posted 1/2/2012 11:31 AM (#531021 - in reply to #530612)

Would Bondy Baits be included in Big rubber???/
Posted 1/2/2012 12:28 PM (#531026 - in reply to #531021)

wkeegobbler - 1/2/2012 11:31 AM

Would Bondy Baits be included in Big rubber???/

I'm not much help on this one, but I've been told my XH will work for them. That's what I already have and plan to use next season, but a XXH might be better suited.
figureight
Posted 1/2/2012 12:47 PM (#531031 - in reply to #530612)

the XH TI chucks / jigs a full size bondy bait with ease.
Posted 1/3/2012 5:05 PM (#531271 - in reply to #530612)

personally i would go with another rod like a musky innovations or st croix. the musky innovations rod will run you about the same price with better components and materials.
sworrall
Posted 1/3/2012 5:41 PM (#531274 - in reply to #530612)

What's better about the components and materials?
Rattlin RB
Posted 1/3/2012 7:15 PM (#531284 - in reply to #530612)

I Have one of each TI rods. XH and XXH. I can tell you the XXH is a beast to fish. It mostly collects dust while the XH gets most of the use. I would get 2 XH rods if I could do it over. Good luck!!!!
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/3/2012 7:22 PM (#531286 - in reply to #531274)

Guest,

So Fuji is better than Fuji? Also I just looked on the R&H site and the Musky Innovations rods are priced at $225 right now. Currently mine are all on special for $120. Just an FYI not a slam on their rods. Both the MI and St Croix rods are an excellent choice and I don't think you will EVER go wrong with a St Croix rod for quality and service.

LOL Please take a look at my specifications on my website:
http://www.tackleindustries.com/muskypikerods.html

thrax_johnson
Posted 1/3/2012 7:50 PM (#531293 - in reply to #530612)

XXH for rubber, I also prefer it for really big blades or burning d10's as I don't like too much rod load. The XH is marvelous for all other applications. I have thrown up to Pounders on the XH though, it can handle them, but I prefer the stiffer pole to ease the fatigue. I also believe they rip nicer/with less effort with the stiffer pole. You simply can't go wrong with either, I've fished the crud out of these and they have been bulletproof.

"Hey Beavis, I said stiffer pole"
Posted 1/3/2012 11:11 PM (#531315 - in reply to #531293)

thrax_johnson - 1/3/2012 7:50 PM

XXH for rubber, I also prefer it for really big blades or burning d10's as I don't like too much rod load.

I agree. How well will the XXH cast 10s? I went with the XH because I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to throw them very far or very accurately. Unfortunately Double Cowgirls aren't heavy or aerodynamic, or I would have gone with the XXH.
thrax_johnson
Posted 1/4/2012 6:26 PM (#531405 - in reply to #530612)

There is a little more care needed casting d10's to not get a snarly with the XXH. Experienced anglers should have no issues. There are a ton of easy mods out there to add a little weight to d10's also which doesn't hurt.

Don't want anyone to get me wrong, the XH is fine, I use mine all the time for d10's, as long as I don't intend to really crank the crud out of them except for the occasional change of pace cast. But if you intend to really burn burn burn the XXH really does help the fatigue factor.
Posted 1/4/2012 7:55 PM (#531423 - in reply to #530612)

I currently have the XH 9' telescoping rod. I have a saltist 20 paired up with it. It is very good for double 10s. I also used it all fall for throwing pounders and monster medusas. It worked flawlessly for the big rubbers, but I will be ordering the XXH this year for that specific application. If you are looking for more of a multi-use, I would start with the XH for sure.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/10/2012 6:43 AM (#532170 - in reply to #530612)

Guest is correct. While the XH is not a 100% multipurpose rod it is the most versatile for the rods I make to throw most lures. It can throw pounders too but IMO just loads up a little too much for lures above 12oz. All of my rods can handle pounders. In fact the MH rods (1-6oz lure rated) are tested for 4-8 weeks with pounders. The lure will about touch your head on a cast though... Good way to make yourself one of those cool ear lobe holes though

What I really need now in my lineup is a short jerkbait rod. What is everyones preference for handle length and action? I was thinking a 7'6" rod with 16" full gripfat cork handle on an XXH blank but just slightly more play/flex in the tip. Something between my current 9' XH and XXH that I have right now. Message me if you have an opinion. Always happy to listen.
James
CU301DSV
Posted 1/10/2012 6:20 PM (#532254 - in reply to #532170)

7'6" split grip for jerk bait rod is my opinion. Love my 7'6" split grip LT but it costs a fortune compared to your rods, pretty sure I coulda bought three of yours for the price of this one. I could measure my handle for you, PM me for specific lengths. For this type of rod I really wouldn't want the handle much longer but the fat cork is nice and a longer fore grip would be nice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)