Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Deep in December, it's nice to remember: Odd catches.

Message Subject: Deep in December, it's nice to remember: Odd catches.
Brett Carroll
Posted 1/3/2013 11:00 PM (#607327 - in reply to #529492)
Subject: Re: Deep in December, it's nice to remember: Odd catches.

Numerous snapping turtles and also snagged a rod and reel. It wasn't in good condition at all.
Netman
Posted 1/4/2013 6:58 AM (#607351 - in reply to #529492)

For the 2nd straight year on opening day I caught a 20" muskie on a siuck. My partner caught a 10" bass on a 7" slamer. It's pretty humbling to talk to the bass guy's and hear them talk about all the muskies they catch flipping baits under piers.
FAT-SKI
Posted 1/4/2013 7:36 AM (#607354 - in reply to #607327)

Caught a soft shell turtle jigging for bass a few years back. Also hooked into a loon burning DBL 10s, And a buddy of mine hooked into a beaver, never landed it (thank god) but that was a hell of a fight to watch.
wicked
Posted 1/4/2013 12:31 PM (#607453 - in reply to #529492)
Subject: RE: Deep in December, it's nice to remember: Odd catches.

caught a 24" walleye on topwater last sept. Don't know if I'll ever get another that way. Caught quite a few cats on bull dawgs. A couple rod and reels that were junk. The walleye on top water was the most amazing though
ski glider
Posted 1/4/2013 4:00 PM (#607505 - in reply to #529492)

Caught a half pound smallie on a legend perchbait trolling at 5 miles an hour this summer.Seen both lure and fish clearing the water not what I was looking for
Posted 1/4/2013 4:37 PM (#607513 - in reply to #529492)

One of my most amazing non-fish catches occurred this fall.

I was fishing late in the season in far Northern MN. It was cold and breezy. We'd been casting big rubber all day with little to show. My buddy, who shall remain nameless, though is well known on this board, and I decided to return to a spot where we had seen a big fish earlier in the day. This was an island point breaking quickly into very deep water. It was dark, cold, and breezy when we arrived. Having the urge to change baits, I stepped to the back and spent time under my headlamp finding and changing lures. In the middle of all that, I became aware of a commotion up front. My buddy had just snapped off his prized Pounder on the cast, which sailed somewhere into the inky blackness of the night. I hadn't even heard it happen under all of my cold weather gear. Finishing my lure re-selection, I gave the back deck to my buddy, who needed to tie on a new bait. He was lamenting the loss of his Pounder - which was a discountinued color and very hard to find. Arriving at the front deck, I lobbed a cast w/ my bait, let it fall a bit and pumped it a few times. Then, I became aware of a strange sensation on my line and thought I had snagged a whitefish as we were seeing them on the graph. It wasn't a whitefish. I had impaled my buddy's lure with my lure, on my first cast, knowing nothing of where he had lost it. I simply reeled his prized possession to my rod tip and plopped it in his lap in the back of the boat. Not sure, but thought I saw tears of joy in the his eyes through the light of his headlamp.

There's more... I said to my buddy, "That lure is obviously intended for you. Something magical will happen on that bait this trip." It did. On our last night, in our last hour, my buddy caught the largest musky of his life on that bait...55X24.

It was meant to be.

Brian
horsehunter
Posted 1/4/2013 4:47 PM (#607514 - in reply to #529492)

Great story 123 but I hope you made him beg before you gave back the lure.
danmuskyman
Posted 1/4/2013 4:59 PM (#607518 - in reply to #529492)

Snagged a 50+ pd paddlefish on a baby depth raider. Thought it was gonna strip every gear out of my reel as it peeled drag and drug my 17ft boat up river. Also a 8" smallie on a DCG. Ungle got a seagull on a rapala and i had a duck grab a mister twister and then totally freak out! I think every boat on the lake thought we were murdering someone!
Weevil
Posted 1/4/2013 11:24 PM (#607638 - in reply to #529492)

I was casting towards a dock that had a bunch of ducks on it. As I casted, one of them took off and my line draped over its back. I saw my jig come out of the water as the duck tried to fly away. When it got up to him he dropped like a ton of bricks. I looked at my buddy and said "now what?" "Reel it in?" The duck ended up breaking my line and flying away with the jig on his back.
Clammer
Posted 1/5/2013 12:20 PM (#607701 - in reply to #529492)

Good stories, and helps pass the winter awaiting Spring!
My buddy and I were fishing in a bay, when he went to cast he looked back and noticed a Muskie cruising about 20 feet away with his back out of the water, heading right toward our boat. We both watched as he continued on, rammed into the boat with a thud, then turned and swam away into the depths of the lake.
Erieboy75
Posted 1/5/2013 12:21 PM (#607702 - in reply to #607453)

wicked - 1/4/2013 1:31 PM

caught a 24" walleye on topwater last sept. Don't know if I'll ever get another that way. Caught quite a few cats on bull dawgs. A couple rod and reels that were junk. The walleye on top water was the most amazing though

I used to target walleyes this way on Lake Erie. It was a few years ago and I'd crawl a Pirate Joe (similar to a floating Rapala) after dark. One hit was with only 2' of line out. Scared the poop out of me. Another took 4 casts until I hooked up with him. Hit it on top each time! I'd actually cast toward where I'd hear a fish break the surface. Only lasted a couple years and then it was back to normal, but geez was that strange!
Hunter4
Posted 1/5/2013 1:57 PM (#607717 - in reply to #529492)

I once caught a Weber grill trolling on Cave Run. We were fishing in the PMTT and thought we were into a monster. Still laugh about that one.
hoosierhunter
Posted 1/6/2013 9:53 AM (#607909 - in reply to #529492)

Last year while trolling we came across a hump and I was running a little deep. My thunderstick got hit bottom hard and snagged a rod with a left handed calcutta attached to it. Cleaned it up and it runs like new, to bad it was left handed.
greenstealth
Posted 1/6/2013 10:52 AM (#607922 - in reply to #529492)

Nothing to odd but I'll share a little
Photobucket perch on perch crime Photobucket lm on a 700 bucher
Photobucket i move more pickerel than anything (that makes me sad)
StormyK
Posted 1/6/2013 11:46 AM (#607941 - in reply to #529492)

100 lb paddlefish this summer. Like someone else said I thought the thing was going to spool me.

And of course the bald eagle that many of you know the story of.

John Stellflue
derekrusty
Posted 1/6/2013 5:51 PM (#608050 - in reply to #607941)

I had a crane fly off with a WTD style lure and also trolled up a drift sock. Fought me like a monster! Anyone lose a drift sock on Waconia?
Gasman
Posted 1/6/2013 6:24 PM (#608058 - in reply to #529492)

Throwing a top raider, I had a barred owl pitch from a tree nearby, square it up, and drop the talons... I cranked like a madman and luckily he missed it... narrowly! Also caught a 6" gizzard shad in the mouth on a 6" shallow raider...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)