Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Boulder Junction; Heaven on water!
- (Added by: Lolleitta)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Beginner Airbrush

Message Subject: Beginner Airbrush
Targa01
Posted 12/4/2011 4:01 PM (#527249)
Subject: Beginner Airbrush

I've searched through the previous posts but thought I would re-open a discussion on airbrushes and try to get more info. I'm looking to buy an airbrush so I can make some of my own baits this winter. I would love to get one that is user friendly (short learning curve) and easy to clean/maintain. Not to concerned about getting tremendous detail just really want to blend some colors or shading and add a few bars or dots.

Looking to keep it around $80 or less. I know that limits me some but would like to find the best-bang for my buck to make low numbers of lures.

Any info/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
newmuskyz
Posted 12/4/2011 6:24 PM (#527268 - in reply to #527249)
Subject: RE: Beginner Airbrush

Look on ebay, search master airbrush. There is a company that sells them called tcp global auto body. Get a small one, I think they are about 35$. Nothing fancy, but they will work, good to learn with. I started with one, after 2 years I upgraded to an iwata, but like you I wanted to get the hang of it before I spent 200$ on one. Hope that helps, I would also reccomend you start with a dual action.
Targa01
Posted 12/4/2011 7:46 PM (#527292 - in reply to #527268)
Subject: Re: Beginner Airbrush

No that helped as I was looking at the TCP website and the Master Precision brand. Would it be worth while to get the 3 tip kits or just go with the single .3 nozzle?

Thanks again for the help.
Targa01
Posted 12/4/2011 10:25 PM (#527321 - in reply to #527249)

Also how tough was it to get used to the paint flow with a dual action? I understand a single action would take longer to make adjustments but with the fine thread adjustments it just seems a person could really dial in the amount of paint needed. Or maybe one less thing for a newb to think about controlling while spraying!
newmuskyz
Posted 12/5/2011 1:38 AM (#527330 - in reply to #527321)

Well, me personally I didn't get the 3 tip kit, I guess it depends on what type of paint you spray, I use createx and didn't have any trouble spraying it with the supplied tip. If you are spraying smaller baits bigger tips will just tend to waste more paint in overspray. Some guys like the big tips for spraying clears or fine glitters, but most of us musky guys use epoxy clear so its not really usefull. As far as the dual action goes I got use to mine quick, I like having that extra flow control, its nice for small bars and dots like you mentioned in your top post. I always relate that to pump shotguns and semi autos, I shot competition skeet for years and saw a guy win money twice by shooting 3 shells thru a pump quicker than 2 different guys could send 3 shells thru 2 different semi autos, when I asked him how he did it he just replied "I ate a lot of squirrel gravy when I was a kid". Point is most people are fond of what they start with. I think the dual actions are nicer, but that's what I started with. Again hope that helps.
Targa01
Posted 12/5/2011 9:50 AM (#527363 - in reply to #527249)

Sounds like a good plan and starting point to me. Thanks again for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)