Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pewaukee Lake

Message Subject: Pewaukee Lake
Junior Musky
Posted 9/12/2011 8:58 AM (#516084)
Subject: Pewaukee Lake

Hi guys-

I am 15 years old and have just started musky fishing. We went up to Minocqua the past two summers and I really enjoyed it. My dad wanted to try fishing closer to home so we can take my disabled uncle along for a day or two this fall. We decided we want to try Pewaukee Lake. We are planning on going next weekend and one weekend in October. Is there anyone willing to give me a few tips on what areas usually hold fish this time of year. Should we just fish the weeds or are some of the areas that don't have weeds good too? We plan on casting and my dad wanted to try sucker fishing for the first time. Any baits we need to have?
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/12/2011 9:19 AM (#516086 - in reply to #516084)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Lake

Hire Mike Keopp for a day, he'll get you pointed in the right direction. Great guy to fish with, knows the water well.

http://www.mikekoepp.com/
Abe Lang
Posted 9/12/2011 9:19 AM (#516087 - in reply to #516084)
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Lake

It's gonna be hard to get any advice right now with the Ironman tournament the end of September as well as the Pro-Mac championship the first week in October....P.M me and I will help you out...
vegas492
Posted 9/12/2011 11:37 AM (#516116 - in reply to #516084)

Only talk to Abe if you want to catch a 50...

Koepp is excellent on the lake, as is Ben Kueng. www.mikekoepp.com www.benkueng.com

Both guys are really, really good and you would learn a lot from them.

We had a good day out there on Saturday and the best fishing for Pewee should be coming soon. Advice wise, I'd soak some suckers while casting right now. We had good action from 6:00 AM to about noon.
Abe Lang
Posted 9/12/2011 1:52 PM (#516156 - in reply to #516116)

LOL! That's funny Vegas Not a lot of numbers this year but it has been a great year for "BIG" fish... I have been VERY fortunate this year.....Like the old saying goes "I'd rather be lucky than good" Both Ben and Mike would be GREAT choices and know that water very, very well. If you do decide to hire a guide you will NOT be disappointed with either one.
2T Critter
Posted 9/12/2011 1:57 PM (#516158 - in reply to #516084)

Mike Koepp should be your number 1 choice if you plan to hire a guide. He is on the muskies right now.
vegas492
Posted 9/12/2011 3:19 PM (#516184 - in reply to #516084)

Abe man, I'd trade places with any time. You are on a roll this year. Keep it up! Just don't freak out when when my black Ranger is following you around.....
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/12/2011 3:37 PM (#516188 - in reply to #516084)

Junior Musky, there's no ONE way to go on any body of water. Fish are caught shallow on the same days that fish are caught deep, so it really comes down to the type of fishing your gear is appropriate for and what mood you're in when you get to the water; do you feel like fishing weeds or shallows, or do you feel like fishing deep? If you're new to the musky sport, maybe you don't have the gear to chase deep fish yet, so let me recommend that you give the weeds a fair shot. There's a cool down coming and that will have fish sliding up, so fish won't be far away from your boat if you slide up to 12 feet or shallower. Blades are always a safe bet on Pewaukee and best of all, you don't have to get fancy with your retrieve and it's a great search bait. This lake has fish just about anywhere so don't worry so much about keying in on key spots and focus more on the joy of the musky hunt. Good luck, buddy, I hope your dad, your uncle and you get onto some fish.
Abe Lang
Posted 9/12/2011 4:06 PM (#516194 - in reply to #516184)

Thanks Vegas! MUCH appreciated......Staying close might be a good idea, just in case the old Ranger decides to take on some more water LOL! I just hope the "JUJU" holds out for the rest of the season....or at least thru Oct 2nd! It's been a tough year out there, granted not much time spent out there with the warmer water temps and hot bites "elsewhere" (i think you what I'm talking about).

Hopefully this cool down will get those fish to respond positively. If you see me out there stop by. Sam and I will be out there OFTEN in the next several weeks prepairing for the PRO-MAC Championship.

Speaking of Sam...I know he has also spent ALOT of time on this body of water and has done very well in years past. He has some sound advice and knows the water pretty #*^@ good! Good thing he's MY partner!
Justin Blanchar
Posted 9/12/2011 4:23 PM (#516196 - in reply to #516084)

Junior Musky,
I most definitely agree with Vegas. Hire Ben Kueng (www.benkueng.com) or Mike Koepp (www.mikekoepp.com) and you will learn so much about fishing in general as well as a good understanding of Pewaukee Lake. These guys have fished South Eastern Wisconsin lakes for years and understand the seasonal patterns like no other. Good luck young man!

PS As for you Abe....Keep on rockn them monsters! You've had some impressive results this year! Good luck in your tourney's
Jeff Hanson
Posted 9/13/2011 10:14 AM (#516304 - in reply to #516196)

Stop by Smokey's and pick up a MuskieTrain Diesel. They have been smoking the fish on them casting and trolling.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Justin Blanchar
Posted 9/14/2011 9:34 AM (#516498 - in reply to #516084)

Absolutely agree with Jeff Hanson (madisonmuskyguide.com) I have personally had tremendous success on MuskieTrains Diesel bait (http://www.muskietrain.com/) on Pewaukee both casting and trolling. Baits troll outstanding at both slow and fast speeds with great action without blowing out. Baits are extremely durable and can take some punishment. Definitely "Great bang for the buck" Also great for slow cranking after dark!

Edited by Justin Blanchar 9/14/2011 9:41 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Pewaukee 36 inches September 8 2010.jpg)

(Pewaukee 36 inches September 20 2010.jpg)

(Pewaukee 39.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pewaukee 36 inches September 8 2010.jpg (14KB - 283 downloads)
Attachments Pewaukee 36 inches September 20 2010.jpg (34KB - 319 downloads)
Attachments Pewaukee 39.jpg (43KB - 754 downloads)
vegas492
Posted 9/15/2011 9:33 AM (#516680 - in reply to #516084)

Funny thing Abe, you may see the black Ranger running around during the Pro-Mac as well. If I'm out there, you can bet a dime to a dollar that I'll spend the night prior to the tournament lurking around your residence looking for the Ju-Ju. Personally I think a little Pewee water was sealed up into the boat this spring. I'll take a little of that and put it in my livewell. That should guarantee a strong finish. And yah, I think I have heard about the "other" hot bite. I didn't get a chance to fish it, but I did hear about it. My wife had her gall bladder removed and that kept the Ranger in the garage for way too long.

And for our young muskie hunter, take Sam's advice if you choose to fish without a guide. With the cool down already here, the pattern will be different this weekend than it was last weekend.

And for my two cents worth...I don't know that I can drop the coin on the MuskieTrain crank bait. I think that there are other cranks out there that work just as well for a fraction of the price. I don't want to give away any trade secrets here, but I know that some of the more productive trolling lures are in the "sale" bins at local tackle shops.

Edited by vegas492 9/15/2011 9:37 AM
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/15/2011 12:44 PM (#516716 - in reply to #516084)

Kid asks for advise and get's lure mfg pumping, lol... If it's small crankbaits that are "smoking" fish lately on Pewaukee, than why not say, "small crankbaits" like Rapala DT16's, Bagley DB3's and 4's or Musky Train Deisels? Where's the difference, a slight degree of a tighter or wider wobble??

I won't say that small cranks on Pewee don't have their moments casting, but as far as "smoking" them?? No one is smoking the fish on Pewaukee right now. A few here and there. Some days you'll see a half-dozen and other days you'll see one or none at all, but over the course of the last few weeks, I don't know a single caster who's smoking the fish on Pewaukee.
Jason Bomber
Posted 9/15/2011 12:49 PM (#516718 - in reply to #516716)

I've had good luck (if you can call it that) on smaller fish on perch phantoms here.. If you just want a bite, thats what I'd throw..

Edited by Jason Bomber 9/15/2011 1:22 PM
pokerchip
Posted 9/15/2011 10:47 PM (#516788 - in reply to #516084)

Sam maybe everyone doesn't call u when they're on fish....Some of us didn't realize we had to report our numbers to you.
vegas492
Posted 9/16/2011 9:24 AM (#516813 - in reply to #516084)

Yah Sam, those lures mentioned are not the ones I was talking about. I would say what they are, but I was told about them by someone else who fishes the lake regularly and I won't give away his information...just as I wouldn't repeat any tips that you send my way.
My opinion...all cranks ARE NOT created equally. And personally, it has been quite a while since I've had a Bagley hit out there. I'm inclined to think that fish have become conditioned to that bait.
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/16/2011 9:26 AM (#516814 - in reply to #516084)

"Pokerchip", that's cute.. I've put more time than the average weekender on this water and adjusted to the changes Pewaukee has seen over the years and I can back it up. I've learned the baitfish migration patterns relative to the weather/seasonal changes and how the muskies respond and don't need the aid of someone elses reports to know how the CASTING bite has been - I find out for myself. I do, however, stay in touch with enough consistent sticks who fish Pewaukee regularly and to say anyones "smoking" them would be misleading, especially on a specific lure.. The next time you want to take a jab at someone over the internet, at least use your real name.

Goeff, you da man, I hear you I'd say it's better to leave it up to the individual angler to learn for themself what to throw, when, where and ultimately why. I've written enough small articles to back up my point - anyone can give away their secret, but that doesn't mean what's been working for him/her is going to work for the next guy/gal..

Edited by Sam Ubl 9/16/2011 9:41 AM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 9/16/2011 9:37 AM (#516816 - in reply to #516813)

Sam, I pimped the lures because thats what is working. I doubt you know half of what is going on or who is catching what. I talk to the owner of Muskie Train every other day. Do you think he is selling 20 Diesels a week to that area for a reason?????? I have talked to guys getting them casting on them and trolling. and get pms and emails thanking me for recomending them to people for pewaukee. I helped the kid out by telling him exactly what bait is working. Not some general bs answer (crankbaits) I was in Dorn's in Madison last Sat. a guy was buying 4 hot perch diesels I asked where he was fishing you will never guess he said pewaukee? I also worked in the Muskie Train booth at the Milwaukee show and watched the Pewaukee guys buy every one he had sold out all of them by Friday night. There was guys showing pics of 45"-49" fish they had caught on them on Pewaukee. One guy brought one that he had 25 fish on and wanted it repainted for him to keep using
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 9/16/2011 10:29 AM
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/16/2011 9:57 AM (#516824 - in reply to #516084)

Edited by Sam Ubl 9/16/2011 10:02 AM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 9/16/2011 10:12 AM (#516839 - in reply to #516824)

The kid asked " any baits I need to have" I told him exactly what he needs to have and you bash me for pimping baits?? I never fish pewaukee I am too busy here in Madison. That has nothing to do with this post. I know lots of guys fishing pewaukee and know what they are getting fish on and gave the guy good usefull information not some BS answer (crankbaits- blades-topwater) I come on here to help guys out catch more fish. Thats what its all about.....
Good luck,
Jeff
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/16/2011 10:17 AM (#516841 - in reply to #516084)

Fair enough, Jeff.
Musky Junior
Posted 9/16/2011 10:31 AM (#516847 - in reply to #516084)

Funny stuff guys! Thanks for the info! We'll see ya out there for the Pro MAC...hope your tournament fishing is as good as your creative writing Sam!
Abe Lang
Posted 9/16/2011 10:31 AM (#516848 - in reply to #516084)

The "Go Deeper" by Juan Sanchez aka Dan Busch has always been productive out there....LOL!
Justin Blanchar
Posted 9/16/2011 11:43 AM (#516865 - in reply to #516084)

Lol! Good luck to everyone this weekend.
71mercman
Posted 9/16/2011 11:43 AM (#516866 - in reply to #516847)

Musky Junior - 9/16/2011 10:31 AM

Funny stuff guys! Thanks for the info! We'll see ya out there for the Pro MAC...hope your tournament fishing is as good as your creative writing Sam!

Funnier is that I can't believe some of you guys didn't see that coming.

Edited by 71mercman 9/16/2011 11:53 AM
its getting deep
Posted 9/18/2011 10:08 AM (#517024 - in reply to #516866)

Is it just me or do Abe and Sam make the perfect team?
lambeau
Posted 9/18/2011 1:07 PM (#517040 - in reply to #516084)

if it's a writing contest, i'll go with Dr Suess...
in a fishing contest, i'll take the multi-year Muskies Inc International champion...

http://youtu.be/l3w2MTXBebg

Edited by lambeau 9/18/2011 1:08 PM
Kevin Mahlberg
Posted 9/19/2011 11:33 AM (#517141 - in reply to #517040)

This thread is classic.
vegas492
Posted 9/19/2011 11:43 AM (#517144 - in reply to #516084)

Sam and Abe have thick skins...and plenty of muskie slime in their boats. I think they can take a little teasing...

It is Justin that I'm worried about! LOL!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)