Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies and moon phase

Message Subject: Muskies and moon phase
Stine Ball
Posted 9/9/2011 1:09 PM (#515812)
Subject: Muskies and moon phase

So, after seeing all the hype about muskies and how they react to moon phases I came to a conclusion....

Muskies are actually werewolfs!

THINK ABOUT IT!

FACT: Muskies commonly react to the movements of the moon, ESPECIALLY the full moon.

FACT: Another member of the Esox genus, Esox lucius, is also known as the Water Wolf.

FACT: Werewolf lore tells us that upon the full moon waning, the werewolf becomes sluggish. - Could this be the cause of lazy follows?

FACT: Werewolves are killed through the use of a silver bullet. - Could this explain the Muskellunge's uncanny desire to attack silver lures?

Does this sound crazy? Sure, I suppose if you think that Roswell is crazy, or that Harry Potter is just a child's tale. But look at the facts and make up your own mind.

Edited by Stine Ball 9/9/2011 1:10 PM
Herb_b
Posted 9/9/2011 2:18 PM (#515815 - in reply to #515812)
Subject: Re: Muskies and moon phase

I don't know if Muskies are always most active in full or new moon phases. The best fishing I've seen all year has been in the middle of the day in a quarter moon phase, post-frontal and high skies, no moon rise/set, and hours away from any minor or major solunar activity cycle. In short, the most active times I've seen this year have been when the fish aren't supposed to be active at all. Not only that, but the least active times have been during full/new moon periods, around moon rise/sets and/or major solunar activity periods and its even worse when a front approaches. And those minor solunar activity periods have been really, really minor - as in completely dead.

I am starting to think that this is opposite year.
Savoir Faire
Posted 9/9/2011 2:32 PM (#515816 - in reply to #515815)

Herb, it might seem there isn't anything going on with the moon when you've had your fishing luck, but I can assure you that there is.

The four days before and after the first quarter of the moon and the last quarter of the moon are key times. (It's not just the 4 days before and after the full and new moon phases that are ideal).

Also, muskies don't just feed during the hour before/after moonrises and moonsets. You might not be aware, but it has been well documented that fish will also feed heavily during the hour before and after the mid-point between moonrise and moon overhead, and then again for the hour before/after the mid-point between moon overhead and moonset. Likewise for the mid-points between moonset and moon underfoot, and again for the mid-point between moon underfoot and moonrise.

If you examine your catch records carefully, you will notice that nearly every fish you catch is related to something going on with the moon! This is basically indisputable. People who don't believe in the moon either don't fish enough, or aren't paying attention!

Herb_b
Posted 9/9/2011 5:32 PM (#515830 - in reply to #515812)

I understand what you mean. I believe that is the basis for the solunar tables. The strange thing this year has been the fish consistently being active when I least expect them and not active when I expect them. I used to be able to predict fish activity much better, but now am pretty much clueless. I check all the solunar tables and moon rise/set times. I look at Joe Buchers moon secrets and the activity tables in Outdoor News and still no consistency. Even sunrise/sunset has not always been good. We have actually caught many of our fish in mid-day when one would not expect much.

I am thinking that maybe Muskies eat when they want and don't much care what we think?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)