Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: What the **** kinda bait is that. Dude it's a wabull. You used to own the company.
- (Added by: MuskieMike)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Through-wire construction question ?

Message Subject: Through-wire construction question ?
FUBAR
Posted 9/8/2011 9:40 AM (#515607)
Subject: Through-wire construction question ?

Hey guys,
Up to this point I've been making lures with stainless screw eyes or those weighted hook hangers you just epoxy in the bait and now I'm wanting to try to make some lures with the through wire construction. My question is, for you guys who have done this, what do you use to fill the slot back up with after you install the lip and wire ? I've used Aves Epoxy-Sculpt for filler before, but was just wandering if anyone has used this, or what other products do you use ? Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks,
Mark
Landonfish
Posted 9/8/2011 11:13 AM (#515619 - in reply to #515607)
Subject: Re: Through-wire construction question ?

I drill my hole with a 1/4 bit. 1/8 was just a pain with the bit walking. This would also allow me to put all my bends in the wire before sliding it through the bait. I would use 2 part epoxy for the land that end then when it would dry I take the expanding gorilla glue and put in from the tail. I put the amount I think it will take to fill bait up so that there is roughly 3/4 of an inch left at the tail. If u get too much you can cut out extra with razor knife. Then I use 2 part again to fill in remaining space. This saves on the upper body weight of the lure.
Xtreme Muskie Lures
Posted 9/8/2011 5:08 PM (#515684 - in reply to #515619)
Subject: Re: Through-wire construction question ?

Hi,
I bore a hole through the bait with a steel 3/32" rod. I then drill a hole that bisects the hole that I bored through the bait. Basically the hook hanger is pushed up through the hole, past the wire going through the bait and the wire through the bait goes through the hole on the hook hanger. I also epoxy the hook hanger in. The bait is a solid piece of wood.

Here's a video link to how I do it.

Boring the hole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJSdUvPqeTA

Final assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRDGgXnWbU

Hope this helps.

Edited by Xtreme Muskie Lures 9/8/2011 5:09 PM
ghost1066
Posted 9/9/2011 6:57 PM (#515834 - in reply to #515607)
Subject: RE: Through-wire construction question ?

Sounds like they have it covered but same for me. I drill a hole the length of the bait then holes from the bottom up to intersect the thru hole. I shape my hook hangers like a paper clip then put them in and the thru wire goes thru them and the bait locking them in place. I use CA to hold things in place and fill with 2 part epoxy. I would use Gorilla glue but I'm not that good with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)