Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Drive it like you own it. Even if you don't have the rod holders paid for yet.
- (Added by: bridgeman)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> newbie

Message Subject: newbie
jjmuskie
Posted 8/31/2011 6:49 PM (#514564)
Subject: newbie

Been toying with the idea of getting a small lathe and making some lures. What other equipmet would one need to get started? What types of wood do you usually use? I would mostly like to make top waters to start and have a good supply of hard woods (oak, maple, ash...) Where do people get the components to make creepers, and prop baits like the chopper and top raider style baits? Any help and tips you may have would be great. Thanks John
wolftackle84
Posted 8/31/2011 6:58 PM (#514565 - in reply to #514564)
Subject: Re: newbie

lurepartsonline is one i use alot

tyler

www.tylersbasementcreations.com
muskyslayer96
Posted 9/1/2011 6:22 AM (#514605 - in reply to #514564)

JJ,

Welcome to the madness
Rollie and Helens is also a good sources for the accessories you are looking for. The woods you listed are good, I tend to use them more for WTD baits and gliders. For the prop baits, creepers etc I like to use cedar (great water resistant wood and very light), so for surface baits with all the hardware on them still perform well. I have also used a lot of poplar, tight grain, turns and sands well, you just need to seal it very very well. A lot of people will disagree, but for me it has performed well.A small lahte is great, a belt sander with a disc attachment, bandsaw, drill press, router table and dremel tool with sanding/shaping attachments will all be extremely helpful (but expensive as well). I started with all cheap equipment from craigslist and garage sales and I have been slowly upgrading. A dust collection system is a luxury, but a necessity if you will be building a lot. A couple of large fans wit furnace filters in front of them did the job for me at first.
A airbrush, and drying wheel will also be essential down the road for making the baits pretty :). rattle cans will be fine at first, but a drying wheel for epoxy is essential. They are easy to make.

JJ Again, welcome to the madness, I live in your area, feel free to contact me if I can help get you started in any way.

MS

Edited by muskyslayer96 9/1/2011 6:24 AM
bowhunter29
Posted 9/1/2011 7:31 AM (#514609 - in reply to #514564)

John,

Welcome to the addiction! I use a band saw, disc sander, and a router table along with some good old-fashioned elbow grease to shape my lures. I also use a PS900 airbrush and a drying wheel to hand my lures on while the epoxy cures. I use red and white cedar. For components, I get 90% of my stuff from Lure Parts Online and the rest I get from Rollie and Helens.

jeremy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)