Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sealing Rivets

Message Subject: Sealing Rivets
Dirt1123
Posted 8/15/2011 1:34 PM (#511878)
Subject: Sealing Rivets

Not sure where to post this question, but what is an easy way to seal up some leaky rivets? It will just need to hold up for while im fishing, it will not be stored on the water. thanks
RyanJoz
Posted 8/15/2011 1:39 PM (#511880 - in reply to #511878)
Subject: Re: Sealing Rivets

Look up Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch. I use it and it holds up for a couple of years. Some people use 30 minute epoxy if you can flip the boat over without damage.
anzomcik
Posted 8/15/2011 2:44 PM (#511894 - in reply to #511878)
Subject: Re: Sealing Rivets

If It was my boat i would get some sealed blind rivits, drill out the bad rivits in your boat. Clean the area well, place a dab of Life Caulk on the new rivit and pop the new rivit in.

If dont correct, should be good as new for a very long time.
Consigliere
Posted 8/15/2011 3:11 PM (#511898 - in reply to #511878)
Subject: RE: Sealing Rivets

Did a lot of research on this recently since I had a very leaky boat to repair. The aluminum patch products are basically 1 season or so of protection, maybe less. The longer term solutions, athough they won't be permanent, are slow cure epoxies. The best epoxy is called Gluv-It. This is what I used for my boat (tons of leaky rivets and a leaky seam to seal up). It has worked very well so far but you do need to paint over the Gluv-It since it is not UV resistant.

The permanent solutions are rivet replacement as mentioned and welding. Although the longevity of welding is questionable.
Zib
Posted 8/16/2011 8:38 AM (#512020 - in reply to #511878)

A couple months ago I used clear silicone as a temporary fix for a few leaky rivets on my boat. So far they have not leaked. I plan on having the rivets replaced during the winter.
Double D
Posted 8/16/2011 9:50 AM (#512046 - in reply to #511878)

I used JB Weld on my last boat's leaky rivets and it held up for several years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)