Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Any tips for musky hunting alone?

Message Subject: Any tips for musky hunting alone?
Flambeauski
Posted 4/17/2012 8:50 AM (#553738 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: Re: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

I have a specially made Life Alert For Solo Anglers: "I've fallen in and I can't get out!"
"Don't worry Sir, help is on the way"
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:17 AM (#553756 - in reply to #553726)

jackson - 4/17/2012 7:51 AM wow, lots of people on here are treating this like you are crab fishing in Alaska all by yourself. Fishing for muskie alone is really no big deal. i do it all the time at my cabin. Quite simple actually, just keep your net close by as well as your hook removing tools. Once the fish is in the net, you take the hooks out. Take a pic, put the fish back in the water. I am certainly not going to tell you to send up warning flares and beacons and have a life boat near by.

Agree, keep it fun... and safe. My only intention was to promote a little safety and move on like I said. I don't think that recommending a life vest constitutes notifying the Coast Guard before fishing, but do agree it's gotten out of hand, and it's partially my fault. 

Steve, I believe we have both attempted to roll down the avenue of intelligent conversation with him, and it normally ends up being a one-way street with lots of pot holes.  Seriously, the only wit I see him cutting here is a fart, and that pretty much sums up what he has added to this thread. 

I'm sitting here this morning wondering how I got tangled up in this over just a couple of his moronic comments... I'm a better person than that, and will not respond to any of his shenanigans again.

horsehunter
Posted 4/17/2012 11:26 AM (#553766 - in reply to #511068)

Every summer in Ontario they air a TV comercial showing 2 small kids bobing around in life jackets shouting daddy daddy.Obviously the father wasn't wearing a PFD. Where will your kids be if your not there for them.

I fished for over 30 years without a PFD except in late season when I wore a float coat thinking I have always been a strong swimmer. That changed 2 years ago when I found myself wondering why I was laying on the basement floor. I had hit my head on the laundry tubs during the fall and have no idea how long I was out.Doctors were never able to figure out why. I wonder what the outcome would have been if it had happened when I was alone on the bow of my boat.I now wear a PFD.
Rumor has it that the law in Ontario is being changed to require PFD's to be worn when in a boat. This came from a member of the OPP marine unit.
dtaijo174
Posted 4/17/2012 2:32 PM (#553815 - in reply to #553766)

horsehunter - 4/17/2012 11:26 AM

Rumor has it that the law in Ontario is being changed to require PFD's to be worn when in a boat. This came from a member of the OPP marine unit.

Do gooders destroy everything in life that's fun.
horsehunter
Posted 4/17/2012 2:56 PM (#553825 - in reply to #511068)

Why don't we take the safety labels off everything and let the problem of stupid people solve itself.
Schuler
Posted 4/17/2012 3:34 PM (#553829 - in reply to #511068)

If you fall in, use the trim on your motor to elevate yourself into the boat. Its easier than climbing over the side. Don't rush fish into the net. Its not as easy by yourself. It probably takes me a minute or 2 to land a fish when fishing by myself. Wear a lifejacket under power. You never know when something new could be under the water to hit. (especially if you fish rivers)
TEX
Posted 4/17/2012 7:53 PM (#553868 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: RE: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

I talked to the local butcher todat to see what kind of butcher gloves he uses he uses A steel mesh which isnt going to stop A hook but he suggested A welders glove anyone ever used one
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:06 PM (#553902 - in reply to #553868)

double post...

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/17/2012 10:11 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:10 PM (#553904 - in reply to #553868)

I've been using a welders gloves for about 20 years, it protects your wrist and hand awesome while unhooking fish, if you glue truck inner tube to the thumb you can use it to open the mouth or lip them like bass.  
Top H2O
Posted 4/17/2012 10:19 PM (#553905 - in reply to #553482)

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words)
=====================================================
Wow Newman,........I never came on here to undermine your belief that everyone in the world should stop listening to your TIP of wearing a pfd at ALL Times. (and I consider it a good Tip)
I was just stating that my choice is to not wear one. (This is still America, unless you live in Americas Hat.
I have 7 children and the youngest is 14 they ALL were taught to swim by age 5. and are real good swimmers,like their Dad.
With that said they also wore a PFD while in the boat untill they turned 13 (Mn. law) anyone under age 13 in my boat will wear a PFD , Always.
When did i ever say I was Cool ? , And stupid manliness,..come on,...... What is that?
You don't know me at all,..or, "my hero fsf" I just gave my opinion and you ASSume that I was going after you,.......... Well I wasn't ,....So chill out Newman.
I'll say it again,..your tip to wear a PFD is a good one,...... I just Chose not to wear one(unless it is really windy) That is my Right as a Taxpayer in the great state of Mn.
Oh, I hated wearing a bike helmet when I "used to ride" Helmet Laws Suck !...... Uhhh,Ohh,....maybe I shouldn't have said that,......200 people just threw their Bell Helmets in the trash. (Sarcasm,.. Hello?)
Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 4/17/2012 10:21 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/18/2012 9:08 AM (#553968 - in reply to #553905)

Top H2O - 4/17/2012 10:19 PM When did i ever say I was Cool ? , And stupid manliness,..come on,...... What is that? Jerome

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... Jerome

Honestly, I was just in one of those Monday morning moods and shouldn't have said all of that, but that being “manly” part you said is probably the part that struck a nerve. That's the general mentality that’s out there, only kids and light weights who can't swim wear life jackets. I don't know you, but it's still my opinion it's not the best of examples you're setting. I'm just curious, would your preference be your kids wear them as adults? I realize it's going to be their choice, and maybe you don't have an opinion, or might even take offense to this question. But, I'm sure you see where I'm going with that…

BTW, it was my father that I watched go under the water when I was 13...probably why it struck a raw nerve with me. I'm a pretty fun-loving regular guy but just can't find any "humor" in mocking (even sarcastically) PFDs for that reason. I still should have been a bigger person though and not jumped down your throat.

It's your right not to wear one, never said it wasn't… it was also a local paramedics right not to wear a helmet on his motorcycle this past weekend, he's dead. When I was a kid I can remember seatbelts never being worn, even though manufacturers were required to put them in every car (same as PDFs in boats now). It took big brother to step in and threaten people with fines before they started wearing them… perhaps that's what it's going to take before the majority wears PFDs?

Jerry Newman
Posted 4/18/2012 9:15 AM (#553971 - in reply to #553829)

Schuler - 4/17/2012 3:34 PM If you fall in, use the trim on your motor to elevate yourself into the boat. Its easier than climbing over the side. Don't rush fish into the net. Its not as easy by yourself. It probably takes me a minute or 2 to land a fish when fishing by myself. Wear a lifejacket under power. You never know when something new could be under the water to hit. (especially if you fish rivers)

Excellent tips...

I had a guy fall face first ( basically dive) into 12' of 42° water out of my boat back in the 80's, thought that was the end of him. It seemed like minutes... but was probably only 10 or 15 seconds before he came back up totally panicked. I used the Power trim to help get him back in the boat.

Posted 4/30/2012 8:11 PM (#556932 - in reply to #553971)

Bring hard liquor. It'll warm ya up if you fall in.

AngleFisherman
Posted 4/30/2012 9:38 PM (#556960 - in reply to #511068)

I wasn't going to respond but I think I will. As I do fish alone and alot with my young grandkids, which is just about alone in a emergency, I read all these posts. I do follow alot of the tips except for one. WEARING MY PFD. I do make them wear them and have tried to make it a habit to wear my inflatable with the lanyard hooked to it when we are under power. I suck at it and can't seem to get into the habit of wearing it. I have no problem being called stupid for not wearing it. CAUSE I AM. After reading about the fella watching his dad drown I thought about what it would do to my grandkids if they had to watch me drown because I was to stupid to wear my life jacket. SHAME ON ME. As the season is just starting up here I will make a better effort to try and get into the habit of putting on my life jacket. If I don't care about me then it will be for my grandkids. I and my Grandkids thank the fella who had the courage to share his story to open my eyes. I thank you for calling me what I am for not wearing my PFD, STUPID, you might have saved my life. Come up to the Angle and I will take you fishing on my dime.
Thanks
Gar
esoxlazer
Posted 4/30/2012 11:59 PM (#556990 - in reply to #511068)

Most of what I was going to say has been covered already, but I'll try to give a quick rundown of what I was planning on saying. A friend of mine was found dead on a remote lake about 9 years ago after succumbing to hypothermia when he went overboard. He wasn't wearing his kill switch so the boat got away from him and he couldn't swim so the best anyone can guess is that he panicked and ended up in a lot more trouble than he would have been had he kept his wits about him.

First and foremost, I'm always wearing a PFD while fishing alone or in adverse conditions. I haven't gone overboard, but I've thought time and time again about exactly what I would do if it should happen...I'd make my way to the back of the boat, hug the motor, and use the power tilt to get myself back in. If that wasn't an option, I always keep a loop of dock line off the front of the boat to give myself something to hold onto. I've driven this into my own head so if/when the worst happens, I don't panic. When stressful situations arise, most people panic and don't think clearly...having a well thought out plan ahead of time will help prevent panic. If you don't have power tilt/trim, what else can you do to give yourself an option to get back into the boat? Aside from coming up with a plan, always make sure that someone knows where you are and approximately what time you will be getting back. Although not as big of a deall on metro lakes, being stranded on big water or in a remote location could turn bad fast. If you should happen to be on a remote body of water and you run into trouble, someone will at least know where you are to send help if you should happen to need it. I'm sorry for being redundant in this thread, its just something that hits close to home and it kills me to hear of people dying or getting seriously hurt when it could very easily be avoided. Be safe out there and enjoy the solitude of fishing alone...nothing is more peaceful than being out solo, but it can also be very dangerous if something goes wrong.
misterperch
Posted 5/1/2012 9:04 PM (#557244 - in reply to #556990)

I am an old guy who grew up in the north, Cass Lake MN. I always wear my life jacket have a real comfy one i got back when i used to do a lot of whitewater canoeing. No I am not a wimp and not stupid and i have a responsibility to the family to come back alive.
I fish for muskies alone a lot. The big thing i do to deal with fish is i have this old floating cradle tied to the boat. Try to slow down when unhooking the fish. If you do get hooked up with the fish, treble in your hand and in the fish, ouch yes i am a klutz, i just pull the rope to the cleat a bit tighter to keep the fish from thrashing cut the hook and the net too if that's where my hand ends up. Try to cut the hook as close to the lure as you can then you have plenty of grip to push it through and out. $900 bucks ER out of my pocket not again, or if your not cheap like me or have better insurance it gives the ER doc a better handle to get it out.
A good first aid kit and some training is a must.
The hardwood handles on old cradle with the rope is strong enough to hold me and get me back in the boat. Did i mention i am a klutz. Practice self rescue in controlled conditions is something i learned whitewater canoeing. So practice falling out of the boat and getting back in. Start out calm water day and work your way up to whitecaps with help near by.
Gordy the game warden would say be safe. The old man would say he fought the Japanese so you have the freedom to be stupid and he has the freedom to deal with you if your stupid around him. I miss the old man and every year i get more like him. So if you want to be crazy and not wear the PFD and no kill lanyard and you fall out and your boat is racing on near me.... I miss Gordy too.
jonnysled
Posted 5/1/2012 9:19 PM (#557245 - in reply to #511068)

i'd missed this post and just panned through it, but as someone who fishes alone a lot ... i have a rope that i throw out and let drag behind the boat. if you do fall out of the boat you can increase the "size" of your boat to get back to it if you ever find yourself in the water. while fishing it's out of the way behind you but if you need to get to the boat you increase your odds ... then as mentioned previously, use the motor and trim switch to get you in if you are stressed.

practice it too ... so you know what to do and how to do it in-case you need to.
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/1/2012 9:36 PM (#557248 - in reply to #556932)

Guest - 4/30/2012 8:11 PM

Bring hard liquor. It'll warm ya up if you fall in.

Just had to get them started again, didncha?

Gimme a sip of that...
Posted 5/1/2012 10:59 PM (#557263 - in reply to #511068)

I've never looked at my motor for this before and its in storage. How do you activate the trim/tilt from in the water?

Thanks.
jonnysled
Posted 5/2/2012 6:43 AM (#557276 - in reply to #511068)

most larger outboards have a trim switch on the motor itself. it's usually located to the right (looking from the rear of the boat) and just at the level where the top cowl comes to meet it, but on the base part of the motor.
Jeremy
Posted 5/2/2012 7:52 AM (#557291 - in reply to #511068)

Great series of posts really! All valid points. I fish alone a lot and never wear a life vest unless it gets ugly out and have never used that kill switch connection.

Still thanks to all for raising the points given. It's going to make me a good bit more cautious.

Jeremy.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)