Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It is also much easier to figure eight a musky fisherman into striking than it is an actual musky." ToddM circa 3/04/2016
- (Added by: ESOX Maniac)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> recommend lathe?

Message Subject: recommend lathe?
rick_rudder
Posted 7/26/2011 4:22 PM (#509061)
Subject: recommend lathe?

can you guys recommend a good lathe for me, would like to start turning my own wood bodies, i guess i wouldn't need a big one, just want one that can turn anywhere from 6 to 12 inch pieces, thanks
J Nail
Posted 7/26/2011 5:33 PM (#509072 - in reply to #509061)
Subject: Re: recommend lathe?

I've got the pen state industries turncrafter pro lathe. I am pretty sure it will do a 12" piece without the extension bed, but will for sure do it with it. You do want to get a 3 or 4 jaw chuck and a jacobs chuck for it too though. These I do not have, but wish I did. I haven't had any problems with it yet after about 6 years.
castmaster
Posted 7/26/2011 6:01 PM (#509079 - in reply to #509061)

I have the Jet Mini Lathe. Worked well for me the past 6 years. It will do blanks 14" long center to center without an extension, and up to 24" or 36" with extension if I remember right. They also have a variable speed model, where you can adjust speed by turning a rheostat instead of having to stop and move the belt to the next pulley.

I have several Jet woodworking tools and have never had a problem with any of them. Seem to be very well built.
ghost1066
Posted 7/26/2011 6:44 PM (#509090 - in reply to #509061)
Subject: RE: recommend lathe?

I use one of Harbor Freights $200 mini lathes. Not the $99 one. It is by no means a Pen State or Jet but I turn on it almost daily without a problem. It will turn up to 12-14" I can't remember which. I caught it on sale for $199 then used a coupon to get it down to $156.

They do make Mini Jet that has speed adjustment, I turn on one at a neighbor's shop. It is sweet but I didn't have the $700+ for one so I got the one I have. If you can afford one of the others then that is what I would get, if no then the one I use works just fine.
Fiedler
Posted 7/26/2011 9:23 PM (#509129 - in reply to #509061)

grizzly makes a pretty nice one too
muskyspit
Posted 7/28/2011 7:24 AM (#509362 - in reply to #509061)

Hey I am new to the bait makeing, so you all will see guestions and further posts from me. but i can help you with the lathe. I have a jet 10/14 with the bed ex. on it and the are nice. If I were to buy a new one it would be the Delta 46-460 . It has a 1hp. motor with speed range of250-4000,variable speed and the best feature is the reverse on it. And yes you whant to have a reverible Nova chuck with it. I dont know what you whant to spend but the lathe is $650 and the chuck is 150. Hope this is helpfull to you. Great site you people. Thanks.
muskyhunter63
Posted 7/28/2011 12:05 PM (#509411 - in reply to #509362)

I have turned a few lures on a cheap lathe that I bought at Menards. Works fine for the number of lures I make. I also bought the lathe turning tools there. If I were to do it again, I would still buy the lathe I did but spend a little more on the cutting tools. The cheaper tools don't hold as good of an edge and dull sooner.
Ken
Lunge Master
Posted 7/28/2011 3:56 PM (#509442 - in reply to #509061)

Really it's not so important what brand of lathe you have, a lathe is a pretty simple tool. Mine is an older sears craftsman model, probably from the early 70's. It's nothing fancy. Originally it was a 48" lathe but I shortened it to take up less space and I never turn anything much bigger than 14" or so anyway.
A neighbor of mine is a master woodworker, really the guy is an absolute wizard, a true artist. He has no power tools in his shop, does everything with antique hand tools and a few turn of the century foot treadle powered pieces. His lathe is home made from scavenged oak salvaged from old shipping pallets. It is really nothing more than a 6 ft high "H" frame affair with a long strip of deer hide attached overhead to a spring pole (just a sapling cut from the woods out back) then wrapped around the work and then down to a board used as a foot treadle. I've tried using it but couldn't come close to the ease he demonstrates. It spins in two directions as you go, forward and then backward with each stroke on the treadle. If you saw the fine furniture he creates and then saw his shop you would not believe those creations came from such a crude and sparsely equipped shed, but it's true. The guy is a master craftsman.
Here's one on youtube that is similar to his~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkknoLxJzDk
castmaster
Posted 7/28/2011 4:49 PM (#509453 - in reply to #509061)

The Jet mini lathe with rheostat speed adjustment should be around $480, while the standard one is around $400. I only wish they had the one with dial adjustment back when I bought mine.

Jet also makes a midi lathe that will take stock up to 20" center to center with a 12" swing over bed. They run around $500.
Kenslures
Posted 7/28/2011 6:33 PM (#509464 - in reply to #509061)

I totally agree with Lunge Master. A lathe is a lathe if it can handle the length of wood you want to turn. I too have an old Craftsman 48" lathe. Really got lucky when I bought it. The guy only turned one baseball bat and never used it after that. I bought the lathe, 8 turning tools, 2 face plates and a copy crafter still in the unopened box for $75.00. It sat in my shop for years with very little use until I started making baits about 10 years ago. Now it gets used almost everyday. You don't have to buy a complete set of turning tools as you only use 2-3 of them. The copy crafter has its own turning tool. If you purchase any turning tools buy quality tools otherwise they won't hold an edge. I had a sharpening business for years so I can do my own. Now days they ever have carbide tipped or some have changeable inserts. Carbide should last almost forever. The craftsman tools I have work OK but they don't hold an edge. I sharpen my tools sometime a couple of times a week. Keep your tools sharp and always use proper caution with any and all tools. Ken
ghost1066
Posted 7/28/2011 8:20 PM (#509477 - in reply to #509464)

Tools make a world of difference. I got lucky when I got my lathe, a friend had a full set of Craftsman from the late 70s early 80s that had never been used. Put in the shop and forgotten about. He gave me the set and they are real metal not like some sets you get. Kept maintained they will last for years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)