Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Do you have any food along? - Greenduck after 15 minutes of fishing
- (Added by: H2O)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Line eye attachment

Message Subject: Line eye attachment
Jay
Posted 7/12/2011 12:18 PM (#506776)
Subject: Line eye attachment

I have noticed that on some of the baits that have the line attachment through the lip ( Bakers,Tuff Shads) the wire is perfectly formed with a tight bend so the wire can run straight under the lip in to the bait. Can someone please tell me how to get the wire formed perfectly in the lip every time? I know if you put the wire in the lip and try to bend it with your fingers it will not come out like this since that is what I am doing now.
Thanks
Jay
BruceKY
Posted 7/12/2011 8:39 PM (#506890 - in reply to #506776)
Subject: RE: Line eye attachment

Before anything is assembled, bend the wire into a U shape with the same spacing as the holes in the lip. The holes should be exactly the same size as the wire. Press the wire into the lip and mark it under the lip where you want it to be when you’re finished, then press it through until the wire bottoms out. The marks will be about 3/16 away from the lip now. Use round nose pliers to bend each wire on the mark towards the back of the lip. Pull the wire back out to the finished position and your done.
woodieb8
Posted 7/13/2011 5:14 AM (#506918 - in reply to #506776)
Subject: Re: Line eye attachment

use a wire bender if your making many. its very fast. wire formers we use will accept 0.62
zach2626
Posted 7/13/2011 2:40 PM (#507007 - in reply to #506918)

Practice makes perfect bud, do a few hundred and its second nature. It all starts with a bent over wire and some pliers. The less amount of straight wire under the lip the better. Even if you mess up a few times, cut the wire and start over- wire is cheap.
P.S. Watch out for that Baker guy! Ever meet him? What a character! lol.

Edited by zach2626 7/13/2011 3:10 PM
Jay
Posted 7/15/2011 10:38 AM (#507323 - in reply to #506776)

Thanks for the information; I now understand how to form the wire a little better after the wire is in the lip.
Woodie and Zach, are you forming the wire before you put it in the lip?

Zach I will be picking up a few of your baits to try once I can find someone that has them, everyone is out of stock.
Jay
zach2626
Posted 7/16/2011 10:49 AM (#507430 - in reply to #507323)

Jay- using the pliers is key. I just make a u-bend in the wire, put the u shaped wire through your holes in your lip and push the wire all the way in tight to the lip. Using needle nose pliers, now bend the 90 degree bend back towards the back of the lip on the bottom of the lip letting the tips of the pliers size the loop you bend. Do the same with the front wire but give yourself maybe 1/16" extra room so the wire has room on top of the bottom one. After you do this, push the bent wire up through the lip to make your line tie and adjust your wire that goes into the body to make it straight. I am not the best at describing stuff- maybe this helps???? As far as picking up a bait, thanks! I make them everyday and can't seem to get ahead. Did you call the Happy Hooker (716) 763-5815 in Ashville, NY? I just sent them more the other day and they have some Butt- Shakers (the rubber tailed ones) also. Other than them try the Michigan Muskie Shop- they only have a few left but am making more for them now and they should have them in a week. Best luck buddy! Just remember- too big (tall) of a loop for your line tie causes issues.

Edited by zach2626 7/16/2011 10:54 AM
woodieb8
Posted 7/17/2011 4:55 AM (#507493 - in reply to #506776)

jay ..we bend the wire to form and legnth before. the lip is pre-drilled. insert wire pull thru. then insert threw the body. all of our minne -mee baits are wired thru from lip to tail.. using 0.62 stainless is a bear but they will hold up for multiple fish. we have some baits with 30-50 fish on them. paints eaten but the lures are running excellent. st clair has lots of carnivores lol.

Edited by woodieb8 7/17/2011 4:57 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)