Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Easiest Fluoro to Tie Knots With?

Message Subject: Easiest Fluoro to Tie Knots With?
Zib
Posted 6/11/2011 8:42 PM (#502374)
Subject: Easiest Fluoro to Tie Knots With?

I bought some 100 Lb Hi Seas Fluoro to make leaders but I'm having a hard time tying knots with it. I was trying to tie Lee Tauchen's leader knot but I'm having a hard time with it because of the arthritis in my hands. Is there another brand of fluorocarbon that's easier to tie knots with?

Thanks
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/11/2011 9:24 PM (#502382 - in reply to #502374)
Subject: RE: Easiest Fluoro to Tie Knots With?

Zib, Don't give up on the Hi-Sea's its one of hardest fluoro's out there, and consequently one of the best for tooth resistant leaders, I've tried all of them. Seagar & others are softer and easier to tie. Tying Hi-Sea's is easy if you have the right tool's. Believe it or "knot" you can make your own tools and become a whiz at tying fluoro leader's w/Hi-Sea's.

I like the 80lb, but can easily tie 200lb fluoro with my tying tools. Send me a PM w/ your Email address & I'll send you a photo w/ instructions. I'm no spring chicken either (64)- I feel ache's & pain's every time I get up in the morning. However, like SVL & a couple of other's say, "It's a great day to be alive!"

Have fun!
Al
Jason Bomber
Posted 6/12/2011 12:54 PM (#502435 - in reply to #502374)
Subject: Re: Easiest Fluoro to Tie Knots With?

I have a 80% full roll of 130lb hi-seas thats a pain to tie... Bought it because I thought Stealth was using some of this stuff, and heard nothing but good things quality wise abouth their leaders..

I bought some Seaguar in the same test, and it is FAR easier to tie... Never had a issue with either brand, but Seaguar seems a little more pricey, but much more tieable..
Zib
Posted 6/12/2011 1:57 PM (#502439 - in reply to #502382)

ESOX Maniac - 6/11/2011 10:24 PM

Zib, Don't give up on the Hi-Sea's its one of hardest fluoro's out there, and consequently one of the best for tooth resistant leaders, I've tried all of them. Seagar & others are softer and easier to tie. Tying Hi-Sea's is easy if you have the right tool's. Believe it or "knot" you can make your own tools and become a whiz at tying fluoro leader's w/Hi-Sea's.

I like the 80lb, but can easily tie 200lb fluoro with my tying tools. Send me a PM w/ your Email address & I'll send you a photo w/ instructions. I'm no spring chicken either (64)- I feel ache's & pain's every time I get up in the morning. However, like SVL & a couple of other's say, "It's a great day to be alive!"

Have fun!
Al

PM sent. Thank you
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/14/2011 12:19 AM (#502697 - in reply to #502439)

Zib & others who requested help via PM - Lee Tauchen's knot is a three wrap "gryp knot" - a very hard knot for a lot of us older folks to tie freehand, mainly because its hard to keep the loops in order as you make the knot and tighten it. The right tools are a BIG help. I need to take some photo's to go with the description of my homemade knot tool.

Crimps for fluorocarbon leaders- I don't need no stinkin' crimps! Besides they add weight to the leader. Have you ever tried tying 0.095" weed trimmer line? Here's a six (6) wrap gryp knot.

Have fun!
Al

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Weed Trimmer line knot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Weed Trimmer line knot.jpg (77KB - 177 downloads)
Zib
Posted 6/14/2011 11:29 AM (#502747 - in reply to #502697)

Thanks Al,

Looking forward to the pics.
muskie-addict
Posted 6/14/2011 12:39 PM (#502765 - in reply to #502747)

Lee's knot is also hard for some of us young whippersnappers who don't have arthritis. I was using 130 seaguar and I think I got it to stick twice with no tools and look right. Otherwise its a big jumbled up mess every time. I like how the knot looks though when its done correctly.

Bought some 300lb Berkley Big game. Been having fun experiments tying knots with that......

That's the line that that youtube vid that was on here with the British feller with the feminine-looking hands was using when he tied essentially what is Lee's knot. I haven't the foggiest idea how those hands, or any other hands, can keep those loops mashed down and in the right order. Must not be Big Game. Gotta be something more supple.

-Eric
Mackerel
Posted 6/14/2011 8:55 PM (#502846 - in reply to #502374)

I use 150# Seaguar Premier and I tie perfection loop knots....they lay straight, are pretty easy to tie and they're plenty strong. The keys are lubricating the fluoro to be knotted and to draw the knot tight slowly and very tight. My buddies and I have never had one fail and we're still using some from 5 or 6 years ago.
Pikopath
Posted 6/15/2011 1:44 AM (#502887 - in reply to #502374)

Heres how I do it: http://yankeedoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-tie-nail-knot.html
When Im tightening the knot, I use either white vaseline or luke warm water with some detergent in it.

Michael
muskie-addict
Posted 6/15/2011 10:49 AM (#502921 - in reply to #502887)

Thanks!!! I think I'm going to like that method. Looks like my night just got booked solid.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)