Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> difference between sling blade and big nasty??

Message Subject: difference between sling blade and big nasty??
bchrtchr
Posted 6/5/2011 10:20 AM (#501369)
Subject: difference between sling blade and big nasty??

I am buying a legend for double 10's, what is everyone using? I threw a big nasty yesterday and I thought it loaded up a bit on the figure 8, am I crazy? How is the big dawg rod for the throwing the 10's? Is it to stiff to cast the baits? I only can afford on of these right now and I want the perfect rod for 10's and it has to be a St. Croix.

Thanks
MuskyLureFreak
Posted 6/5/2011 11:29 AM (#501373 - in reply to #501369)
Subject: Re: Rod for double 10

I don't have one but the Sling Blade is made just for #10 so if you have to have a St. Croix the Sling Blade is what you would want.
esoxfly
Posted 6/5/2011 11:56 AM (#501377 - in reply to #501369)

This has been a thousand times on here, so try a search and you'll get some reading.

But only because you asked a specific question about the Big Dawg and the blades, yes, it works great for 10's.

But still, try a search. The "which rod/reel for 10's/DCG" is probably the most often asked question on here.
bchrtchr
Posted 6/5/2011 12:08 PM (#501378 - in reply to #501377)

esoxfly - 6/5/2011 11:56 AM

This has been a thousand times on here, so try a search and you'll get some reading.

But only because you asked a specific question about the Big Dawg and the blades, yes, it works great for 10's.

But still, try a search. The "which rod/reel for 10's/DCG" is probably the most often asked question on here.

I hear ya, I did go through and read everything I could. Perhaps I should re title my thread.

I am looking for the difference between the 8'6" sling blade and the 9' big nasty? They both are rated the same for lure weight but I am assuming that the sling blade is stiffer cause it is shorter, is that correct? I thought the big nasty flexed quite a bit going into the 8.
muskyhunter34
Posted 6/5/2011 12:30 PM (#501382 - in reply to #501378)

Its a matter of preference. I had the sling blade and i personally thought it was too stiff in the tip for 10"s. I thought it was a better crankbait rod than for blades.

However, i did have Lonnie at thornes make me a Croix predator rod (which is a bit softer in the tip) and i love it for blades, including the 10's.

As far as i know about how they make rods, if the slingblade and big dawg are the same blank, i beieve the blanks come in 9', so it would be the same exact rod except the back of the rod was cut to 8'6". From tip to butt they would be just about exact with a minor flair on the longer rod. In my opinion, should feel pretty similiar in action, except for the length adjustment. But, the length can be a huge difference.

Best to try the rod out if you can before you buy anything unless u know exactly what you want.

thats my opinion anyway. Rob
KSauers
Posted 6/5/2011 2:20 PM (#501385 - in reply to #501369)
Subject: Re: difference between sling blade and big nasty??

I would call Lonnie at Thorne Bros. and tell him exactly what you want and he will set you up with a Predator and they are made by St. Croix.
BNelson
Posted 6/5/2011 2:25 PM (#501386 - in reply to #501385)

imo the new 9' big nasty is 1 of the best all around rods made...It throws double tens nicely and big plastics but you can still throw a mepps marabou with it or smaller bucktail as well....I'm not a big advocate of 1 rod for all baits as imo having the rod and reel tailored to each presentation is better but I am thoroughly impressed w the Big Nasty I have...I put a revo 60 6.4 on it and have used it mainly for smaller bucktails and inline topwaters...and dawgs
Flambeauski
Posted 6/6/2011 4:11 PM (#501559 - in reply to #501369)

There is a trade off, if you want a rod that doesn't load up too much on 8's then the Big Dawg is what you want but it doesn't like to cast 10's into the wind, and smaller bucktails it doesn't like to cast either. I'm surprised the Nasty loaded up too much in the 8... the sling blade and big nasty are rated the same, but the nasty is actually stiffer than the sling blade, so if the Nasty it too light the sling blade will definitely be too light for you.
Mojo1269
Posted 6/7/2011 8:38 AM (#501619 - in reply to #501385)

KSauers - 6/5/2011 2:20 PM

I would call Lonnie at Thorne Bros. and tell him exactly what you want and he will set you up with a Predator and they are made by St. Croix.

What he said...
musky chimes
Posted 6/7/2011 3:39 PM (#501699 - in reply to #501369)
Subject: RE: difference between sling blade and big nasty??

the big nasty has been in the works since the sling blade came out they took their time and tried several different variations before they started selling them. This is supposed to be the 9 foot sling blade so as far as dbl 10 rods go its all personal preference on the length you prefer. I own two sling blades now and wouldn't trade them for anything in the wide world of sports. They fish the hell out of any bait you can throw at it up to and almost pounders. The sling blade is a wonderful rod and their is no other rod ive fished like it that wasn't custom made. Some of my pals have switched to the nasty and they say its a nice stick. I know i wont be switching anytime soon.
musky chimes
Posted 6/7/2011 3:49 PM (#501705 - in reply to #501619)

But the predator rods in which they speak of is the same blank with anything you want it to be , better tips, better paint, better service pretty tuff to beat custom rods from throne brothers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)