Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lowrance HDS7 or Humminbird 858C ???

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lowrance HDS7 or Humminbird 858C ???
Ball Cap
Posted 5/10/2011 1:41 PM (#497720)
Subject: Lowrance HDS7 or Humminbird 858C ???

Hi Guys:

I had a buddy that had to send 2 HDS7's back last year because of water leaking in and frying the unit.

I am thinking of trying a Humminbird 858C myself this year. Although, I don't like having to have an external antenna.

Any thoughts or comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Midge
ttrap
Posted 5/10/2011 1:58 PM (#497726 - in reply to #497720)
Subject: Re: Lowrance HDS7 or Humminbird 858C ???

The leaking issue should be over with, even if its not I wouldn't worry about it thats what warranty is for. I have always thought that lowrance has better 2d sonar could just be me. Humminbirds are more user friendly with the menu's and settings, but if you are good with electronics and are willing to read a manual I'm sure you would have no problem with the lowrance. If you are going to add structure scan later that is extra money and for that amount you could get a 998si. But again I think you need to check the features of both and look at them for yourself because there is people that love both.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 5/10/2011 2:25 PM (#497734 - in reply to #497726)

I'd second ttrap. Look at both units, play with both units and choose the one you prefer. However, if you ever have aspirations to add one of the many add-ons the Lowrance has to offer, the HDS is the way to go.

I personally haven't heard of a unit that's not one of the first generation HDS units have a problem with leaking, wouldn't scare me one bit to buy one now.

Good luck with your choice, either way you go I think you'll be satisfied, but the HDS has more advantages.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/10/2011 3:18 PM (#497744 - in reply to #497720)
Subject: RE: Lowrance HDS7 or Humminbird 858C ???

I run the HDS 7, along with a couple LCX units. The HDS took a big leap forward in many regards. It now has so many more capabilities with the lss add ons, better ethernet links, great new triple screen split feature, and a neat radio add on feature for folks.

As someone only looking for a great 2D sonar with quick gps refresh speed, I feel Lowrance took a step backwards here. The unit takes alot longer to power up and switch between screen and menus. I've gotten over this as I've been told there is so much more that these new units compute, taking more time. Next, I still don't like that the icon feature was done away with. Call me old fashioned, but that is one of the reasons I went with my first Lowrance hand held 13 years ago. Since its a computer, why not allow for/offer it? Last, the refresh rate on the maps of my new HDS unit is pitiful. If you like to troll slowly or work your trolling motor towards waypoints and pinpoint areas and are used to the quick response of the lcx units, good luck with the HDS 7. Also, it is not the antenna speed and will not be improved with the 4000 puck as proven in many instances. The screen itself is not updating at the claimed once per second that the antenna affords. Still working on this issue, but from what I read/have been told, it is something Lowrance is aware of and is trying to remedy which is good.

I plan to try the new 4.0 update in my unit, but unless that completely cures the refresh rate, I'd suggest checking into the bird.

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/10/2011 5:21 PM
muskymandan
Posted 5/10/2011 3:21 PM (#497745 - in reply to #497720)

Tell you buddy to just save a couple more bucks and get the 898c si. Awesome unit here is humminbird for you though. The unit has a one year factory warranty well since humminbird is the best!! They sent me a letter in the mail that added another year to my warranty for a total of 2 years for free. Lowrance had their time and place but I know a ton of guys switching to humminbird units.

Edited by muskymandan 5/10/2011 3:22 PM
Hammskie
Posted 5/10/2011 3:28 PM (#497747 - in reply to #497720)

TJ DeVoe - 5/10/2011 3:04 PM

Hammskie - 5/10/2011 2:44 PM
Has Lowrance fixed the issue with their internal antenna?

What issue? I've heard or seen of one person on these boards having an issue with an internal antenna.

Sounds like that is what Reef Hawg is talking about in his last issue. Are we sure it's not just a simple antenna speed thing? I'm not trying to rip down the HDS units, I'm trying to justify upgrading. The internal antenna is a selling point for me, but if it has a slow response time unless you mount a GPS puck, then it sorta squashes that feature. The units I have seen tracked perfectly smooth as long as the 4000 puck was mounted, as recommended by the retailer.

Edited by Hammskie 5/10/2011 3:32 PM
Captain
Posted 5/10/2011 3:37 PM (#497749 - in reply to #497747)

Hammskie - 5/10/2011 3:28 PM

TJ DeVoe - 5/10/2011 3:04 PM

Hammskie - 5/10/2011 2:44 PM
Has Lowrance fixed the issue with their internal antenna?

What issue? I've heard or seen of one person on these boards having an issue with an internal antenna.

Sounds like that is what Reef Hawg is talking about in his last issue. Are we sure it's not just a simple antenna speed thing? I'm not trying to rip down the HDS units, I'm trying to justify upgrading. The internal antenna is a selling point for me, but if it has a slow response time unless you mount a GPS puck, then it sorta squashes that feature. The units I have seen tracked perfectly smooth as long as the 4000 puck was mounted, as recommended by the retailer.

I dont think the issues that are explained in RH's post are Internal Antenna issues. The ONLY internal antenna issues I have heard of and experienced first hand were the older models like the 334, 522, etc.
Hammskie
Posted 5/10/2011 3:53 PM (#497751 - in reply to #497720)

Okay... It did sound a little ridiculous that you would have to spend another $400 after your unit just cost you $2300. Thanks for the clarification on this. I will let the retailer know this as well.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/10/2011 5:16 PM (#497762 - in reply to #497720)

The speed of the screen update is only as fast as the processor in the unit. It's said to be an issue with overloading the unit with info as it crops up more with a map chip installed or using the Insight maps which is all the time for most(the insight maps aren't of much use to me so I always use the Lakemaster chip). The antennae is said to refresh at a rate of once per second which is the same rate of speed as the old lcx units with the standard 2000 puck, which was plenty fast for me. I beleive the antennae is probably doing its job, but the unit itself is not keeping up.

Again, I have heard this is being worked on. I was told that the new platinum Navionics chips are extremely slow, and corrections are being made for it as well. Personally I'll wait before purchasing another HDS. My hunch is that if you can wait for a couple more years, there will be a whole new platform which will be faster and better and hopefully linkable to our trolling motors...

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/10/2011 5:20 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 5/10/2011 5:25 PM (#497765 - in reply to #497745)

The operating system in the HDS is much different than the LCX, of course it's going to be different. The HDS has capabilities that the LCX could never do, it's as simple as that.

The icon feature did not pass as a USCG certifiable icon, which is why Lowrance got rid of it. They decided to remove the icon feature because it did not offer the identifiable information that a gps waypoint did, hence why the Coast Guard did not recognize this as a formidable icon.

However, the good news is, you can set your HDS unit up to use the waypoint as an icon instead. With the new 4.0, you are able to make the waypoint act as your icon now. I'm waiting to find out how you go in and change the waypoint so it's like an icon without the information being displayed.

As Captain mentioned, there has been no issues with any of the internal antenneas. You are mistaking that for the old units, the 334 and 522 to be specific.

The new 4.0 update is suppose to help with updating the unit so it's faster. However, Lowrance sent a representative to Italy to work out all the bugs in processing their chips, hence why they are faster on a HDS unit than a Lakemaster is. I'm not sure where you heard that the Platinum chips are slower, but that's untrue for sure. I ran a Platinum all last year and it was amazing, never saw any issues, along with the LGC-4000.

The major thing is, you cannot compare a HDS unit and the LCX unit. The HDS unit is slower, but it's got capabilities that the LCX unit can't do. A lot of the Bassmaster Elite guys run a LCX unit right next to their HDS unit because of the speed. Think of a computer and how it starts up, I bet your HDS start up is quite similar. When you start up a HDS, your starting up a computer that has functions a LCX unit could and will never have. The 4.0 as I was just told by two different Lowrance technicians that when using a Navionics chip, it's extremely fast.

muskymandan, Lowrance has always come with a 2 year warranty from the day the HDS units were released.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 5/10/2011 6:56 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/10/2011 11:17 PM (#497809 - in reply to #497720)

If the unit is already perfect, is Lowrance then wrong for making some of these consumer requested improvements/updates if the unit is already perfect? Ball cap is looking for comparisons, and if he runs gps, should know that the hd is still working on the speed issue. Kudos to LEI for the continued updates however. There are a number of things that pros have directly asked for, that they made happen with the 4.0. It won't be the last update, as more improvements will be made with time as consumers relay their experiences to the good folks that listen.

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/11/2011 7:41 AM
sworrall
Posted 5/10/2011 11:54 PM (#497812 - in reply to #497720)

Make a decision on which unit to buy based upon features and benefits, and personal choice.

Get your updates no matter the builder, use the system as it's intended, and most importantly, learn what it can do and use it to it's maximum potential.

Arguing about what is necessary to get the unit to maximum potential is ridiculous. I get at least 5 updates a week for my Dell. Enough already.
lambeau
Posted 5/11/2011 6:01 AM (#497818 - in reply to #497720)

I am thinking of trying a Humminbird 858C myself this year. Although, I don't like having to have an external antenna.

buy the Humminbird. great performance plus you'll be trouble-free and happy.
lots of arguing online about Lowrance, and almost universal praise for the 'Birds.

Edited by lambeau 5/11/2011 6:02 AM
sworrall
Posted 5/11/2011 1:06 PM (#497869 - in reply to #497720)

gents,
No matter which company you worship, DO NOT bash the other. If you do, your post will be removed and if you persist, your permissions will be removed. Sell/promote what you believe is the right unit by features and benefits without bashing the other company.

Every dog has their day in the sun. The only constant out there is that too will change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)