Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sling Blade vs Big Nasty

Message Subject: Sling Blade vs Big Nasty
msky3
Posted 5/7/2011 9:15 AM (#497219)
Subject: Sling Blade vs Big Nasty

Sling Blade vs Big Nasty
I have used the Sling Blade the last couple of years and really like it for throwing Cowgirls.I bought a Big Nasty over the winter thinking this would be the bomb for throwing Cowgirls.My first impression was it didn't load up on the cast like the slingblade and did not cast Cowgirls that well. It did figure 8 better with less flex with the rod in the water. So now I have a 350.00 rod to throw rubber. The latest and greatest is not always better...for casting Cowgirls.
Storm Strike
Posted 5/7/2011 1:37 PM (#497240 - in reply to #497219)
Subject: RE: Sling Blade vs Big Nasty

msky3---interesting post...

I was just about ready to order a Big Nasty for the coming season.

Last year my number one rod for Cowgirls was a ST Croix Premier (2-6) ounce in the 8' foot model. Absolutely loved the rod---except a little short on the figure 8 off the elevated casting deck. The guys at the shop said it has a very similar action to the Sling Blade---only a shorter version.

Hence my desire for a 9 foot rod---

My question----When you say "loading up" are you referring to the flex in the tip on the cast---people can define this in different ways?

And does that mean in your opinion the Big Nasty is too stiff for Cowgirls? I would love for you and others to chime in on this.

I would hate to drop 350$ on a rod that is not as good as advertised.

My sources tell me they love the Big Nasty for Cowgirls and Mag-Dawgs----the two baits I throw most in the summer. The length making it ideal for figure 8s and the added stiffness great for soft plastics.

The Big Nasty has been described to me as a cross between the Sling Blade and Big Dawg---I have not tried either but would love to hear what others who own both rods say.
msky3
Posted 5/7/2011 3:39 PM (#497252 - in reply to #497219)
Subject: Re: Sling Blade vs Big Nasty

Yes I am referring to the flex in the tip on the cast---not sure I would say its to stiff for COWGIRLS
but I will say Both rods side by side same reel the slingblade launches the cowgirls farther with less effort.
knooter
Posted 5/7/2011 5:33 PM (#497265 - in reply to #497219)

The Slingblade loads further down and is a hair softer, thus it will feel softer on the cast and will throw baits like the DCG's further. The Big Nasty has an extra fast tip, so it loads up really quick and is going to throw baits like dawgs and pounders better. Not everyone has the same idea of how a rod should load up, so for some the Big Nasty will be an ideal Pounder rod, while others will find it too soft. I happen to like it a lot, and will be picking one up or building one before July.
muskiewhored
Posted 5/7/2011 10:39 PM (#497305 - in reply to #497219)

I use the big dawg, all is personal pref. I assume everone may cast slightly different. I for one thought the tip was to soft when going in to the 8 with my slingblade. So the stiffer tip for me on the big dawg works better in the 8 -in my opinion
pommes
Posted 12/30/2012 10:03 AM (#606118 - in reply to #497219)

Any new experiences, in the comparison of both rods?

Is there really a difference, when casting double 10s?
Ronix
Posted 12/30/2012 10:57 AM (#606123 - in reply to #497219)

pommes it depends on preferance as was stated above. I don't use blades a majority of the time like some guys do so my ideal rod will be different than those who do. I can say though that I have a migizi 9'3xh which is my blade rod, that thing is excellent for blades but it has slightly more load to it than my nasties do so i can see why they cast further and why some guys prefer that. However I can also say that my nasties cast blades like champs too and I wouldn't hesitate at all using one for bucktails.
Musky Brian
Posted 12/30/2012 12:23 PM (#606140 - in reply to #606123)

I got a Big Nasty last year and used the hell out of it casting 10's with a Tranx...I thought it casts great and absolutely love the rod. Wouldn't hesitate on picking up another one
wicked
Posted 12/30/2012 12:44 PM (#606141 - in reply to #497219)

I dont have the slon blade but have been using the big nasty for two full seasons for dbl10s mag dawgs and double dawgs this past season and love it. I can see getting a little more distance from the softer slin blade but would prefer the stiffer tip of the nasty in the 8 wich will help you sppeed up and make bigger turns while executong the 8. Personally I love the nasty and it casts the 10s more than far enough for me and you will notice the extra 6 inches in the 8 dont have to bend to get the depth.
Average Joe
Posted 12/30/2012 12:47 PM (#606143 - in reply to #606141)

BOTH!!

I have both and love them!!
BNelson
Posted 12/31/2012 8:23 AM (#606296 - in reply to #497219)

they are both great rods for double 10s just different applications/reels on them to use them to their fullest...imo.
The Big Nasty paired with a speed reel like a Tranx is sweet, it has a stiffer tip that is better for burning (so you aren't fighting the tip)
The sling blade is awesome for slow rolling/night fishing w a reel like a Revo Winch (w TE Power handle)
Big Nasty is a great all around rod that can throw just about anything w ease....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)