Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Kinkaid Trip

Message Subject: Kinkaid Trip
CantCatch'em
Posted 3/26/2011 2:30 PM (#489074)
Subject: Kinkaid Trip

Well, it's time for my third annual spring trip to Kinkaid. I will be there next weekend and I was wondering if things have started to heat up. I know the IMTT didn't produce great numbers a few weeks back, has anybody been down that way? If so, what are the water temps looking like? Any good reports are appreciated.
V18
Posted 3/26/2011 5:00 PM (#489097 - in reply to #489074)
Subject: Re: Kinkaid Trip

I was down there last Sunday thru Tuesday. Weather was 75-80 and windy. Only moved one fish. Swing and missed at the boat. Decent fish though, 42-44" and fat. It was the first time I've been on the lake. Fished just about everywhere except the main lake, too windy (20 - 30 mph), and up towards the dam. Water temps were anywhere from 52 degrees to 60 degrees, which was up by Johnson Creek area and back in some of the more protected coves. The water clarity was pretty dirty by the Johnson Creek area, which I understand is somewhat normal, and was clearer the further you got away from there and towards the leg that goes towards the dam. Have a feeling, I should of ventured up towards the dam but I ran out of time being I was really only there 2 days and had never been there before. Not a good report but it was nice to get out on the water since I've never been musky fishing in March before. Good luck to you.
Hoffy
Posted 3/28/2011 7:09 AM (#489392 - in reply to #489074)

Fished the lake over the weekend with no results. Spoke to other fisherman and they had similar results. Not sure what the water temperature was but the air temperature sure was cold. Best of luck to you,
Slobasaurus
Posted 3/28/2011 9:11 AM (#489404 - in reply to #489392)

Fished this past weekend. Friday, Saturday and half day yesterday. My brother and I raised a 40" class fish Friday on a glide bait, but that was it. It wasn't very "hot". After throwing glide baits and twitch baits all day Friday with not much to show for it we decided to cover water the next day. Saturday morning I caught a 31.5" muskie on a firetiger buchertail in a main lake cove. Moments later my brother raised a mid forties fish on a similar spring-sized bucktail. That small window would prove to be the highlight of the trip (unfortunately). About an hour later the rain/sleet/hail/snow combo came and drove us off the water until 4pm or so. Sunday provided the best weather of the trip as the sun showed itself to the tune of 45 degrees. However, we didn't move or land any fish.

Water temps were 53.5 in the water treatment plant and 51.5 elsewhere on Friday. Temps fell throughout the weekend with 50.5 degrees being relatively warm. Actually found temps in the very backs of creek fed coves to be colder (47) than mid-cove and out towards the creek channel. Wish the cold snap didn't arrive at the same time we did- it really seemed to mess up the pre-spawn pattern. Many fished likely already spawned up north and in the treatment plant due to the warm spring (pre-coldsnap). So our gameplan was to target the fish that were still in pre-spawn mode (ie; those coming out of the main lake and moving into adjacent coves which are last to warm up). Hopefully some stable weather will improve fishing for anyone heading down this upcoming weekend.

Despite fishing being tough, it was great to chase muskies again in 2011 with my brother. Catching the shorty was a bonus. Great eats at 17th street.
V18
Posted 3/29/2011 5:44 AM (#489564 - in reply to #489074)

Oh, yes I'll agree, food at the 17th Street B&G was good. Bought some of the "magic dust" and a jar of the spicy sauce. Can't wait to try it on some venison.
MuskyFix
Posted 3/29/2011 8:39 AM (#489581 - in reply to #489564)

Kevin
It was good to meet you and your brother Mike down in Kinkaid.
It was a tuff bite down on kinkaid! We had taken cover at the Marina do to the lightning and thunder. We docked the boat and seen a few crappie's being caught at the docks. so my friends and I started casting around the docks, I had worked one particular dock off and on jigging some rattle baits and actually sitting there doing a figure with various lures on the docks with no success. I had gone to another dock and Paul had moved in on the same dock to show them a glider. I was next to him, as we were talking we both looked at his bait when out from the dock pulls out a huge musky and turned on his bait but never ate the lure, we were in awe. A small amount of time had passed and Paul had gotten a phone call and moved to the end of the docks to answer his call, so I decided to get my Glider called the Modivator in crappie color and decided to figure eight the bait. It wasn't long when the musky came out and bolted to the lure, she had come up to the tail and made contact with it, then she made a circle turn around the bait as I let the lure Glide on the 8 and fall, the Musky ate it! "All Hell broke loose" I quickly told my friends I had caught the fish so they rushed to the tuffy and grabbed the net and tools, a quick fight and the fish was netted. The Musky measured 44 inches.
Mike and Kevin thanks for your help. We fished the rest of the day and didn't see anything else. Sunday fished all day, a high pressure had moved in, we seen 3 fish at last light, a mid 40's on the same lure and the others were on phantoms. Monday we fished for 1/2 day and didn't see anything but had one hit on my glider, pretty slow after Saturday's low pressure passed.

Edited by MuskyFix 4/1/2011 7:10 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(kinkaid44.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid44.jpg (51KB - 163 downloads)
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/29/2011 12:01 PM (#489614 - in reply to #489074)

those Modivator glide baits look really good. I remember seeing some in basement baits....

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63...

nice action on utube.......

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuskyFix

Edited by Muskie Bob 3/29/2011 12:03 PM
magnum
Posted 3/29/2011 1:00 PM (#489625 - in reply to #489614)

Hope the fishing picks up this weekend as I a coming down and try some musky fishing. Will be there friday saturday and sunday, Will post when we get back .
Allen
Posted 3/29/2011 4:39 PM (#489657 - in reply to #489625)

Muskyfix, great story. Thanks for sharing. Helps to break my cabin fever. Here in Ontario it's still more or less hard water, and musky opener is a ways off yet. Al

Edited by Allen 3/29/2011 5:54 PM
MuskyMATT7
Posted 3/29/2011 6:03 PM (#489670 - in reply to #489657)

If you are thinking of coming down to Kinkaid I would hold off a week or two....most of the fish are spawning.
magnum
Posted 4/3/2011 7:57 PM (#490544 - in reply to #489074)

Was down there and we boat one @ 36.5. did see 5 more and one was upper 40 incher. water was cold 50 degrees.
immunddingcor
Posted 8/31/2012 4:48 PM (#581954 - in reply to #489614)
Subject: Video with member of this site..

Did you already know about it?!

Video with member of this site was uploaded on YouTube!
Its is so shoking...
You must know about it.
You must see it!
It is really she - just look it carefully.

---
Sorry, it was removed on YouTube!
Uploaded video here:
http://megasto.com.ua/

So, hero ...
What you will say to your parents after that?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)