Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> replacing rivets

Reply New post
Message Subject: replacing rivets
kevinj
Posted 3/26/2011 7:58 AM (#489014)
Subject: replacing rivets

Anyone ever go about replacing rivets below the waterline
I got a few that are leaking and was wondering how much involved to DIY vs take it to a shop
Thanks
tcbetka
Posted 3/27/2011 10:11 AM (#489220 - in reply to #489014)
Subject: RE: replacing rivets

It would depend upon whether or not you can get to the inside surface, to buck the new rivet. Also, it would be helpful to know why you need to replace the existing rivet(s)?

If you live by an airport, stop by and talk to one of the aircraft mechanics. They can help you out, I'll bet. I've driven literally thousands and thousands of rivets, and it's really no big deal. By far the easiest thing to do is to drill out the rivet (this does take a bit of skill), freshen the hole to clean out any burrs, and then insert and buck a new rivet. However if you've never done it before, you can easily screw it up...unfortunately. For instance, you can elongate the hole while trying to drill out the old rivet. Then you'll have an issue with it not being sealed correctly.

But if you can get to the inside of the hole, then find someone who has experience drilling and driving rivets. They will likely have the necessary equipment as well. If you cannot get to the inside surface of the hull, then you can still replace the rivet using a "blind rivet." This is similar to a pop rivet but much stronger, and more expensive unfortunately. With either type of rivets though, you must be careful to pick the proper length--thus it will be best to find someone who has done it before.

You can PM me a contact number, and we can talk more about it. Replacing a rivet is a very straightforward procedure, but (like anything) it's always easier if you have done it before.

TB
(licensed aircraft mechanic)
tcbetka
Posted 3/27/2011 10:21 AM (#489224 - in reply to #489220)
Subject: RE: replacing rivets

I forgot to suggest going on YouTube and viewing videos about driving rivets. For instance, here's a link to a video about replacing rivets in a boat hull:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPfPryTRcY4&feature=related

You can also just search for "driving aircraft rivets" in the YouTube search engine, and you'll find all kinds of information.

Edited by tcbetka 3/27/2011 10:24 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)