Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Leader to line tie or split ring?

Message Subject: Leader to line tie or split ring?
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/12/2011 9:41 PM (#486715)
Subject: Leader to line tie or split ring?

I add split rings to the line tie on my baits, am I killing the action of the bait or does this increase it? What do you guys do? Also, is it different from bait to bait, jerkbaits, topwaters, etc? Thanks for the help.
Will Schultz
Posted 3/12/2011 11:54 PM (#486724 - in reply to #486715)
Subject: Re: Leader to line tie or split ring?

Do you use snaps or split rings to connect your leaders?

Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/13/2011 7:15 AM (#486727 - in reply to #486724)

Right now I'm using snaps, but I have used split rings in the past. Part of me thinks that adding a ring will give the bait a little more action, but then I think would it kill the action instead?? Some baits have such a small eye, you have to use one to get the leader through. What about jerkbaits, do they help or should I tie directly to the eyelet? Thanks!
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/13/2011 10:20 AM (#486737 - in reply to #486727)

for me it's the norman lures speed clips in the musky size (cabelas website). been using them for everything for years now. like using a split ring on every bait but no pliers needed. simply squeeze with your fingers to put on / remove baits. the musky size is very heavy duty and they do not weaken like a standard split ring might after hundreds of openings / closings. used the same three on my three rods all of last year and they still show zero signs of weakening / spreading. the only time i use a standard snap-type is for some smaller baits where the nose ring is much smaller...
muskie! nut
Posted 3/13/2011 10:33 AM (#486741 - in reply to #486715)

I think using a split ring to a bait will increase its action. I may not be enough for you to see, but it just may be better. Using a snap was well is just another thing to possibly go wrong. You don't need a snap if you get leaders with a solid ring or make you own to attach your bait to.
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/13/2011 6:28 PM (#486848 - in reply to #486741)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

muskie! nut, I was thinking the same thing, I have ran bats with and without rings and couldn't tell a difference. But like you said, it may not be noticeble but still may have an advantage. thanks again!
CU301DSV
Posted 3/13/2011 6:57 PM (#486860 - in reply to #486715)

I started to add split rings to my baits last year when I was out trolling. I noticed in my opinion/perception the lure was pulling in towards the boat and tweaking the front eye saw little to no effect so I added a split ring. I make sure that I feed my snap in from the bottom as I believe this helps in the balance of the bait and it's action now that the snap is vertical. I also do the same with gliders with vertical front eye when I plan to use a snap, it makes them run better in my opinion.
nazercl
Posted 3/16/2011 9:44 PM (#487459 - in reply to #486860)

Be careful....split rings can wear on you leader.  I did the split rings for years--the "splits" nick your leader after a couple of years.  Then it's "bye-bye" $20 lure--or worse a big fish.  I lost two lures this way.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 3/16/2011 10:16 PM (#487461 - in reply to #487459)

nazercl - 3/16/2011 10:44 PM

Be careful....split rings can wear on you leader.  I did the split rings for years--the "splits" nick your leader after a couple of years.  Then it's "bye-bye" $20 lure--or worse a big fish.  I lost two lures this way.

Yes, you DEFINATELY have to have a solid ring on first. My flouro leaders have a swivel on one end, and a smooth solid ring on the other. Then the split ring attaches to the solid ring.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)