Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New PowerPro Depth-Hunter

Message Subject: New PowerPro Depth-Hunter
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/12/2011 7:59 AM (#474976)
Subject: New PowerPro Depth-Hunter

Saw this on the Saint John's Muskies Canada website-there's a link to a Youtube video. It's about time, I was just about ready to spring for some line counter reels for trolling, etc. But, this stuff looks great. Has anyone tried it? I'm checking out the LaCrosse Gander Mountain tomorrow.

Have fun!

Al

ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/12/2011 9:29 PM (#475129 - in reply to #474976)
Subject: RE: New PowerPro Depth-Hunter

I have spent many, many hours trolling with my good buddy "Capt. Troll" a.k.a. Mike Hoffmann (Zalt NAD) - Mike is almost what I would call anal retentive about depth control when trolling, but he produces fish! So I can appreciate how important depth control can be when coupled to a high resolution sonar.

Amazing 137 views & no comments. From my perspective using PowerPro Depth-Hunter would seem to be more accurate than any line counter reel, i.e., the typical line counter is dependent on the reel spool rotation where actual line distance per rotation of the spool varies with diameter of the spooled line- so which is better? Is the line counter accurate when at the end of the spool? Yeah, it might be a small variable or not. But if you mark a fish at 61 ft holding 1 ft off the bottom, it could make a difference. Using my Humminbird 997SI, I can sit on that fish. With accurate marks at 5' increments which is better? Did I ask for too much feedback? JLONG are you out there?

If you're after big fish, you need every advantage you can get! Just my opinion, but I think a valid one, and I'm just looking for a sanity check here. Check your leaders, check your line, sharpen your hooks, check your drag setting, have the net ready, figure 8 every cast (something I'm lax at- but working on) . Use every advantage you can get, because you may only get one chance! Actually, this sounds just like meeting a hot chick in a bar! But for muskie guys its a fat girl, and fat girls need love too!

Ohh! Did I say I have absolutely no affiliation with PowerPro, other than I like their products- I've previously used 65 lb PP green on all my big fish rods. So in reality this is or was just a heads up too all, with a tiny bit of hope for some feedback.

Have fun!
Al
MartinTD
Posted 1/14/2011 6:40 AM (#475341 - in reply to #474976)

My only question is: What do you do when all the dye bleeds out like other Power Pro has been known to do?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/14/2011 12:34 PM (#475407 - in reply to #475341)

Yeah, I know what you mean there. It never bothered me as I don't think muskies give crap about the line color, besides I use fluoro leaders just in case I run across one who is anal retentive about line color. Actually 80lb fluoro works pretty good for fooling big walleyes. But I would hope PowerPro have figured out the color retention thing if they are going to offer multi-color depth marking.

The Gander Mountain in LaCrosse said they probably won't have any until they open the new store in April - I expect some good sales going on there between now & then.

have fun!
Al
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)