Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "This is where evil lurks" - Dick Pearson
- (Added by: Manta18)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Message Subject: What are you you planning to fish in 2011?
Junkman
Posted 1/3/2011 12:46 PM (#473300)
Subject: What are you you planning to fish in 2011?

Hey, is anybody else around here going crazy waiting for the 2011 tournament season to start? Just curious what events (trails?) you other guys are hoping to fish this year. Marty Forman
momuskies
Posted 1/3/2011 3:09 PM (#473314 - in reply to #473300)
Subject: Re: What are you you planning to fish in 2011?

Looking at trying my first PMTT event at Cave Run. I've got a few day trip planned to Reelfoot the weekend before, then shooting over to the Cave which should make for a fun week. I plan on fishing a few of the Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail events again this year and a couple of club tourneys. Hopefully weddings don't get in the way of too many tourneys.
muskellunged
Posted 1/3/2011 3:32 PM (#473321 - in reply to #473300)

I'm going to fish less tourneys this year. Not really by choice, but by circumstance. I have to pick from some really great events on the 2011 I.M.T.T. schedule, but probably miss a few great ones.

If time, money, and conflicting dates were no object, I'd fish the IMTT, the WMT, and the PMTT. And then I'd start a trail for musky fisherman 5'6" and under and call it the Midget Musky Circuit!
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/3/2011 4:12 PM (#473331 - in reply to #473321)

Looks like I'll be doing the PMTT at Eagle River, possibly a WMT, and the NCMO of course. I'm pretty excited about fishing that PMTT. It will be fun to match wits with some of the best in the business. Since I have a cabin close by, I should be able to get a good amount of pre-fishing in.
Top H2O
Posted 1/6/2011 11:57 AM (#473755 - in reply to #473331)

It depends on if there is any money leftover after paying the bills, but I would like to fish a couple of the PMTT events and others closer to Mn.
I won't fish any "Transport" tourneys at all........There are better ways out there.

Jerome
Junkman
Posted 1/6/2011 1:28 PM (#473781 - in reply to #473755)

You hear a lot of trash talk about "transport" tournaments--some a fair critical comment and most not. It's clearly not my choice for the "best" of all possible formats, but no where near as terrible as it's made out. The main place you see it is the Wisconsin Musky Tour (WMT soon to be called Pro-MAC) where there has clearly been the most tournaments, with the the most teams, and the most prize money paid out of anywhere. The tournaments are also well run by nice people who claim a 99.9% healthy release history. I also fished a lot of these over the last four years and never saw or heard about a dead fish. Now, please don't get me wrong...I prefer a quicker release format for a lot of reasons, but it takes 8-10 judge boats to properly manage a big tournament water and that costs a lot of money....money that translates to much bigger entries or smaller pay-outs. As to the photo-realease methods, I think the jury is still out on that. I am pretty sure that my 19 year old could create a world record fish on any color bump-board you like with the photo-shop skills most of these kids have. Anyway, the world is not perfect, my first wife was far from perfect and transporting muskies is not perfect either. It's also not the worst thing in the world either if you have the right kind of live-well in your boat. Marty Forman
NateOz
Posted 1/6/2011 2:39 PM (#473795 - in reply to #473781)

Good post, Marty. I think it is important to point out that you don't HAVE to transport fish in a Pro-Mac (WMT). Tom carries his cell on him at all times and will drive his boat to you if you call in a fish.
sworrall
Posted 1/6/2011 9:41 PM (#473884 - in reply to #473300)

Have to comment, the CPR format has been proven to be bulletproof. No way someone gets away with photoshopping, the organizations who use the format have developed a ton of fail safes against that sort of thing. AIM is a clear example it works and works very well.

The transport issue will eventually be solved by regulation from the states.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/7/2011 6:31 AM (#473911 - in reply to #473884)

AIM works well within the Angler/Co-angler walleye 7 fish format. the co-angler doesn't have a "stake" in the outcome of the tournament and somewhat acts as a watchdog. In a musky team tournament event, where less fish are caught, a 1/2 inch here or there can make a difference in deciding the winner. No doubt CPR is ideal and even judge boats have their limitations, but in a musky tournament I think a creative points system, with a sliding scale and time caught, etc.(possibly revealed at the end of the tournament), rather than a straight measurement would be one way to level the field.

Edited by Wisconsin Wade 1/7/2011 6:39 AM
Junkman
Posted 1/7/2011 7:24 AM (#473917 - in reply to #473911)

I totally "get" the co-angler concept. I will be fishing the first two FLW Wal-mart Tour events in March with the bass crowd like I do pretty much every year before the musky season starts for me in April. The co-angler gets a terrific deal, fishing with a top pro for a couple of days and still able to compete for serious money against the other co-anglers. In the B.A.S.S. Elite Series, you can't fish anymore, but can still sign up to ride along as what they call a "Marshall." It's a simple idea, the bass guys compete alone for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the FLW Co-angler or B.A.S.S. Marshal is a newly met stranger who rides along all day in order to keep the guy honest. Musky events are team events. You fish and pre-fish time after time with a very close pal and there is a clear temptation for some to try to take advantage. Those who put these events on have a big job to do in creating a fair and level playing field for all to enjoy. I personally think 8-10 judge boats is a better way to prevent a problem than a digital photo.....but that's just me. Marty
thrax_johnson
Posted 1/8/2011 3:35 PM (#474195 - in reply to #473300)

The photo format works great. Has anyone posting on this thread with any negative impression of it ever tried it? When done properly with some simple safeguards I also agree its bullet proof and should be the future of all muskie tournaments.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/8/2011 5:02 PM (#474213 - in reply to #474195)

First I should probably answer the question in the post. I will fish a walleye tournament or 2 on Green Bay and probably the Titletown MI BOB tournament on Green Bay(which I heard was going to go to a digital format).
I don't have a negative impression of the CPR format, only of those that might abuse it. LOL!
I have never fished in a CPR tournament. CPR is certainly the best format for the fish. But, I am not anti-transport tourney either simply because I think it levels the playing field.
Question. What are some CPR musky tournaments with a fair amount of cash on the line?

Pedro
Posted 1/8/2011 6:52 PM (#474247 - in reply to #473300)

In a transport tournament how far are these fish getting transported?
I have only fished tournaments (the old Hartman tournaments) were digital photos were used and I loved that format. You could catch a fish, photo in seconds and get the line back in the water, which is ever so important in my opionion with the short feeding windows we usually experience in muskie fishing.
I was thinking are these muskies sitting in a live well for 5 hours then being transported? Or are they caught then the team must drive the fish to shore to be measured? That seems really rediculous if that were the case. What if you have to run 5 miles through 3 footers with a 50 inch fish in your livewell, that just doesn't seem right for the fish or the anglers who would have to waste all that fishing time to register a fish.

Not sure if I am correct in my assumptions of how transport tournaments are run, but it just seems rediculous to me why everyone does not go to the photo format, for the safety of the fish and ease for the anlgers to get back to fishing. No need for judge boats as well with the photo format. Just my opinion.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/9/2011 6:32 AM (#474319 - in reply to #474247)

Pedro, The WMT is a transport tournament series that I donated to a few times in the past. Once a fish is caught it is to be immediately put into a livewell and taken to a dock to be measured. These tournaments are held on Wisconsin lakes where wind and waves are not usually a factor. WMT tournaments also have a larger entry fee($320) and a fair amount of money on the line up to $10,000 for 1st place. Pulled the info off last years website.
Regarding the Hartman Series with the digital format, the only thing I could find online was a $35 entry fee and a trip for a grand prize. Those tournaments are a bunch of fun, I have also fished in the St. Germain GWMT which is similar in entry fee and the Grand Prize is a Lax Replica, really nice prize.
BUT, those tournaments are completely different than the WMT series which has way more $$ on the line for the anglers involved.
Were the MAC tournaments a straight measurement based tournament?
Maybe it has been done or suggested. But to move to a digital format for a big money tournament. I think the pt. system would have to be hidden until days end and measurements would need to be slotted. For instance at the end of the day, all fish 30 - 32.75 are worth 3 pts., 32.76 - 34.25 are 4 pts., etc. etc. tiebreakers are broken by time caught determined by time stamp on camera and confirmed by a call to the tournament director. If it is a 2 day tournament new hidden slot for day 2. If this has been done then I will edit my post and say, hey that series is/was on the right track.
Junkman
Posted 1/9/2011 11:23 AM (#474350 - in reply to #474319)

I was wrong in not including the comment that was correctly added in an above post. You do always have the option in a WMT event to call and ask that the judge boat come to you. Most guys don't because they know about narrow fishing windows likely to cause a delay waiting for that single boat. It's also true that we mostly fish in smaller ponds without much of a chop. Still, for a guy who has an inadequate live well or another valid reason, that option is always his. I also did not add the thing about the WMT rule that requires you and your partner to observe a mandatory rest period of 15 minutes (clocked by an official) after the successful release of your fish. This period (that often seems like FOREVER) is there so that no rush of a proper release is ever a temptation. Because of those feeding windows, you will often see quite a logjam of boats at a judging station, and I have often noticed that the guys perform their release routine sort of like a badge of accomplishment, so that all present can see that they did the thing right. Again, I have never seen a problem with this or a dead fish. Naturally, I still respect the choice to not treansport. Marty
Top H2O
Posted 1/9/2011 7:53 PM (#474491 - in reply to #474350)

Marty,
No disrespect, but you just explained why a transport tourney format is not the best way to conduct a tournament..... It's outdated, and NOT the best format out there... What if there was 2-3 footers and I had a 4-6 mile run to make,.....This can't be good for that fish,,,,and to wait in line and not be able to fish for a while during prime time, not to mention that you have to LEAVE your SPOT for someone else to take over......... Duhhhh,,, no thanks.

Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 1/9/2011 7:55 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/9/2011 9:46 PM (#474524 - in reply to #473300)

'AIM works well within the Angler/Co-angler walleye 7 fish format. The co-angler doesn't have a "stake" in the outcome of the tournament and somewhat acts as a watchdog.'

Actually, the Co assists in the process of CRR, but is not responsible nor is a 'watchdog' for the registration of the fish. The Pro is 100% responsible for the image to exactly match the length written on the form. We ( The AIM Crew and management personnel) check every image taken against the written record for accuracy, and a couple have been disqualified.

'Were the MAC tournaments a straight measurement based tournament? ' Was a point system used? Was digital time data and call to headquarters used for tie-breaking purposes and confirmation? Yes.

And it was so in the MMTT events...for years.

At the National Professional Anglers Conference today, Keynote Speaker Al Lindner commented on the AIM CRR format. I'd highly recommend ANY competitive angler watch that video once we get it posted for many reasons, that one included.

What would you say if a Tournament Organization was opposed to a proposed DNR requirement that all boats entering a transport event have a 45" minimum length livewell?
welldriller
Posted 1/9/2011 10:56 PM (#474530 - in reply to #473300)

I'll probably be only fishing a couple of local MI tournaments. I used to fish some WMT events but I just don't feel like I'm competitive enough anymore. I don't have enough time to really pre-fish (even though I live in eagle river) I don't have a consistent partner that can pre-fish and formulate a plan with me. I also have 2 young kids at home that require a very large amount of attention. Maybe when my son gets older (he's 4 months) I will get into fishing more events with him.

As far as the transport tournament format goes. I've seen the good and the bad. I've been up on Long in 3 lakes where we had to run fish all the way back to medicine at pine isle, or on cranberry in eagle river and you have to run fish back to the chanticleer. Both of those runs take all of 25 minutes to make. That sux. I am 100% in agreement that all livewells in transport tournaments be at least 45" and the pumps be fully functional. i.e, no more coolers.
We would always fill our livewell 1/2 full while we were waiting for ease-out and then I would drain and refill it once or twice a day. Just to make sure we had fresh water in it. I know I probably didn't have to re-fill it, but it was just something I always did. One of the main reasons I bought my Crestliner 1850 was for the 55" front livewell, because I knew I was going to be fishing transport tournaments.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/10/2011 6:28 AM (#474545 - in reply to #474524)

Actually, the Co assists in the process of CRR, but is not responsible nor is a 'watchdog' for the registration of the fish.

While that may not be the co.'s responsibility, if I were competing on that level I would like to know that someone else is in the other guy's boat. I will agree then that it is an un-intended consequence.

What would you say if a Tournament Organization was opposed to a proposed DNR requirement that all boats entering a transport event have a 45" minimum length livewell?

I would say leave that rule up to the Tournament organization. Not because I don't think it is a good rule, but it just seems that so many people clamor for less government EXCEPT when it is an issue that THEY feel strongly about.
You can harvest muskies under 45" on many waters in WI, but you must have a 45" livewell if you're in a transport tournament where you intend to release the fish. Huh, what uh OK, I guess...
Where does stuff like that end?
And yes, bag limits and slot limits and length limits are all good things...but I would look at 45" minimum livewell rule as a means to end transport tournaments, so why not just call it that or end transport tournaments. Heck, make it a rule that everyone who enters a transport tournament must have a new Tuffy 2100(provided that it comes with a 45" livewell) LOL!
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2011 9:05 AM (#474565 - in reply to #474545)

------------

I would say leave that rule up to the Tournament organization. Not because I don't think it is a good rule, but it just seems that so many people clamor for less government EXCEPT when it is an issue that THEY feel strongly about.

This is something I feel strongly about. If a muskie angler doesn't have a livewell large enough to transport a fish that is perfectly within expectations to catch, they should not be fishing a transport/release event. The rules already reduce the transported fish into possession, so why not do everything possible to ensure the process allows for the survival of the fish?

You can harvest muskies under 45" on many waters in WI, but you must have a 45" livewell if you're in a transport tournament where you intend to release the fish. Huh, what uh OK, I guess...

If harvest is the expected end result, then the event should be a kill tournament, as many walleye events are because of special regulations. I feel very strongly it's perfectly within reason to expect a muskie tournament angler competing in a release event should have the equipment to ensure the fish will survive.

Where does stuff like that end?

I'd expect this 'stuff' to end in better tournaments with fewer issues between tournament anglers and the general fishing public offering better conservation standards allowing the respective DNR to issue permits without many of the current major concerns for the population of targeted fish.

And yes, bag limits and slot limits and length limits are all good things...but I would look at 45" minimum livewell rule as a means to end transport tournaments, so why not just call it that or end transport tournaments. Heck, make it a rule that everyone who enters a transport tournament must have a new Tuffy 2100(provided that it comes with a 45" livewell) LOL!

I don't get this at all. The proposed rule is coming from the Department of Natural resources fisheries biologists, not a boat builder, and is intended to bring transport events into the 21st Century. Far from being the end, I see this as a rule that promises transport events a future.

Pedro
Posted 1/10/2011 9:53 AM (#474574 - in reply to #473300)

Wisconsin Wade,

The Hartman tournaments in previous years were larger entry fees. I believe that the last entry fee I paid was $500 per team and previous it was about $350. I think the prizes were around $10,000 or more I believe. The only one left is a day long metro tourney that is $35 and most goes to support stocking, the MN metro lakes.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/10/2011 10:40 AM (#474583 - in reply to #474565)

------------

This is something I feel strongly about. If a muskie angler doesn't have a livewell large enough to transport a fish that is perfectly within expectations to catch, they should not be fishing a transport/release event. The rules already reduce the transported fish into possession, so why not do everything possible to ensure the process allows for the survival of the fish?

-OK, but can't that be left up to the Tournament organization and the anglers that participate in the events? Otherwise, to me it looks like a government agency attempting to regulate a successful business model. Because if we are discussing muskie tournaments, after a quick search on the web, it looks like there are 2 viable options that seem to be fairing well, one a transport format and one a judge boat format-

I don't get this at all. The proposed rule is coming from the Department of Natural resources fisheries biologists, not a boat builder, and is intended to bring transport events into the 21st Century. Far from being the end, I see this as a rule that promises transport events a future.

-OK, make it a rule that everyone has to fish from a bathtub, and by saying that I am not inferring that it is being pushed by Kohler or American Standard. Point is that it is another regulation on the tournament anglers that can be enforced by those holding or promoting the tournaments. Now open it up to all tournaments, Walleye, bass, Musky because what a regulation like that does is squeeze out the guy with the small boat that doesn't have a large livewell or cannot accomodate one that big. Because I would assume the 45" livewell will be for all fishing tournaments? Because while I agree that a 45" livewell is necessary for musky tournaments..Does a Bass or Walleye angler need a 45" livewell? So you have a choice, upgrade your boat or livewell or don't participate. This will lead to reduced fields reduced payouts and an end to transport tournaments in my opinion. What you see as regulations to insure the future of fishing tournaments, I see as many small regulations to insure the end of them-

I am all for the protection of the resource in tournament fishing, but I think the organizations can get us there, not another DNR regulation.

Edited by Wisconsin Wade 1/10/2011 10:56 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2011 1:55 PM (#474630 - in reply to #474583)

'OK, but can't that be left up to the Tournament organization and the anglers that participate in the events?'

In the case of the Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce, appartently not.

Otherwise, to me it looks like a government agency attempting to regulate a successful business model.

We collectively want increased size limits and push for more muskie related conservation as Muskie anglers all the time. We can't have it both ways. The agency you refer to manages that resource and is not some legislator who knows zero about the sport or the fishery. The very problem at hand is that tournaments ARE a 'business', and encouraging and promoting them must be in step with the public's expectations for conservation efforts and in step with those we entrust to preserve the fishery.

Does a Bass or Walleye angler need a 45" livewell?

Not for a CRR event like AIM, no. And the subject at hand is transport release events for Muskies, not walleyes or bass; those events are now banned on many waters during the time of year even the finest livewell systems will not keep the fish alve, or required to be kill events to avoid blatant waste of the resource. If a walleye boat livewell is so small the fish will not fit in it, the fish will die during transport no matter. I've never seen one instance of that and have attended literally hundreds of Walleye Tournaments, yet I have seen boats using just plain obvious fish killers like plastic garbage bags in muskie transport events. I'll agree to strongly disagree on this one.

If no muskie sized livewell is required onboard during a transport event that is supposed to be release oriented, the event needs to go to judge boats or CPR. Or, it should be a kill event.

This is a good rule for the event in question to accept. And, it's opposed by the tournament organization. Some in that organization also opposed the 50" limit on Pelican resulting in them removing that lake from the venue because they cannot transport a fish that is allowed to be measured and counted, but not allowed to be taken into possession. That's backward thinking, and does the sport more harm than good.

momuskies
Posted 1/10/2011 2:25 PM (#474639 - in reply to #474630)

Having never fished a transport tourney, how exactly does one transport a 45" fish without a huge livewell? I've read references to plastic tubs and pastic bags. Do significant numbers of tournament participants really transport in that manner? I would never transport a fish in a plastic tub-though I don't know that is all that much different than a livewell-and my livewell probably wouldn't hold anything over 30", so that means I'm not fishing the tournament. I wonder if transport tournaments are losing entrants due to the transport nature???
twells
Posted 1/10/2011 4:57 PM (#474672 - in reply to #473300)
Subject: RE: What are you you planning to fish in 2011?

This year I plan on fishing two tourneys 1 on Pelican in September and 2nd in Hayward on October.
Now having fished transport, judge boat, and witness tourneys there is a plus and down side to each imo. For the fish the judge boat and witness tourney's have the nod. A digital I think would be best served but the costs can get to be quite high for tourney to start/switch over to.
Judge boat tourneys are nice and most are there quickly to measure your fish and get you back going. Down side is other anglers see the "judge boat" heading to a certain area and some boats follow. There is obviously something going on when 2 boats are together in a area and peple tend to start fishing those areas more and more.
Witness tourney's. I like it to some extent except for when you call another boat over to witness your fish and they mark a waypoint of where you caught a fish and see the bait you are using. ( We have actually seen this a couple of times). Next day you have another competitor on the same exact spot. Yes your presentaion or direction you were casting maybe different. But if a person takes a little time they see why you were running the line the way you were. One downside is once you do catch one and finding someone around you that will come over to witness it. Yes it is a two fold thing that I don't like. We have had where we sat for 20 minutes with the fish in the net before some actually noticed or came in the area to witness a fish. What happens if no one comes around, your fish does not get counted.
Transport tourneys, IMO need to have a minimum size with functioning controls for a Muskie tourney. My dislikes here is you leave your spot to register your fish. Some runs can be long. In the case of the Eagle River chain and 2 registration points some of which is NO WAKE. makes for a long time to be off the water fishing. Plus it cuts your day short with having to be able to have those fish back by end time.
To me I will fish a tourney that is well run, organized, and fun. We all have a chance to read the rules before we send in our money to any. If you don't like the format or the rules don't fish it. While there is a prize on the line (yes some good payout) it is still out to have fun and meet new people, learn new waters, test yourself against other anglers. Good luck this year.
thrax_johnson
Posted 1/10/2011 6:45 PM (#474704 - in reply to #474672)

Digitial photo format of the prior MMTT or MAC events had one real cost, those with more info can contradict but it is having a set of identical matching measuring boards. For cash prize/professional tournaments I can only guess that some sponsorship could be obtained, get boards at cost which is far less than retail. Both of the mentioned circuits had them and I'm sure they weren't free. At check-in/boat inspection each morning each boat was issued a "special" sticker to mark their board as approved for the day. Other than 1 or two tournament officials, no one else needs to know what that sticker is going to be, there are MILLIONS of possible stickers and impossible to take photo's of a fish beforehand on the designated tournament board and have the same sticker. These stickers are strategically placed, it would be nearly impossible to obstruct the sticker even with the fish on the board. Photo's were always taken with the left side of the fish shown, dupes were eliminated and very easy to determine with each fish's unique markings.

Yes, tournament anglers needed to have a functional digital camera, you either have one already or can borrow one from someone who does. Pictures are moved to a laptop PC at the end of the day, photo's can be zoomed very quickly and easily and determine the "actual" measurement of the fish, that its mouth is firmly up against the board and the final measurement is done. I know a few measurments were modified from what was "reported" by the anglers but not ever more than 1/2 inch. A simple call to confirm catch reserved time etc and you could be fishing again within a few minutes. I don't know everyone who's fished in this format but it is simply awesome and I never heard anyone say it was/could be broken. It should be the way any real competitive "series" should go, best possible option for the fish and contestants. Fish swims away almost immediately, contestants are fishing again almost immediately to catch more if in a window, no info has to be given up as with judge boat or witness format. Size of livewell or transport device needed - none. Contestants eliminated due to transport or regulations - none.
V18
Posted 1/11/2011 6:11 AM (#474776 - in reply to #473300)

Having fished only transport and judge tourneys, I prefer judge tourneys for a several reasons. Biggest reason, I don't have a large livewell and have to use a portable one. When a fish is caught, you have to leave that area to register fish. Guaranteed, if someone saw you catch that fish, there's a pretty good chance someone will be on it when you get back. Sure in judge boat events anyone in the area will see the judge boat, but you're still on the spot and rules usually govern angler intervals to some degree. Unfortunately, lately I've fished tournaments solo and events that require photos, pretty much exclude any solo (1 person teams). Think it would be pretty difficult to get the required photo(s) solo.

If all waters went to a large minimum length, say 50", then transport tourneys would have little choice but to change the way they register fish. Doubt there would be much interest in a 50" minimum transport tourney.

Junkman
Posted 1/11/2011 7:56 AM (#474789 - in reply to #474776)

Lots of stuff said in the couple of days since I checked, but I would like to say one thing about the minimum livewell thing. I have long been tempted to promote a certain kind of boat with a certain kind of livewell for tournament fishing. Then I look at my own personal situation as an older guy who is doing this with more a desire to spend money earned over a lifetime than to make it on tour. I have a really big, brand spanking new monster rig with all the bells and whistles that would clearly meet anybody's requirements, but I don't think that should give me the ability to railroad out of town some (probably better) young angler who doesn't have the bucks to buy one just yet. I do think it's fair to make someone wait for a judge boat in a situation where they have an inadequate or non-working livewell...but I really would not like to see them DQ'd from the entry. Marty
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2011 8:40 AM (#474796 - in reply to #473300)

Marty,
I believe the reg would allow for a 45" 'portable' livewell. Doesn't have to be built in as I understand it. And, someone who wants to fish Muskie tournaments with a boat with NO livewell certainly has multiple opportunities to do so with all the judge boat events out there.
lambeau
Posted 1/11/2011 3:58 PM (#474899 - in reply to #473300)

i'm leaning toward fishing some Ironman events this year. it's local to me, has good payouts for modest entry fees, and i like the guys running it. http://www.ironmanmusky.com/ i think they use judge boats.

i like tournaments, they're fun. i've fished WMT, MMTT, MAC and MI events and i've observed a couple PMTT events. i think it's OK for people to make money "off" the resource, whether that's by winning the event or more likely the organizers running the event.

that said, all of those things should occur with the good of the resource in mind. imho, it's the wrong question to ask whether or not a certain verification system hurts the fish; rather, tournament organizers should be asking: "what is the most fish-friendly possible way to confirm measurements?" and then use that one.

the PMTT (judge boat) and WMT (transport) are very successful and very well run. if they were both to switch to a digital photo format, they'd still be successful trails...

Edited by lambeau 1/11/2011 4:03 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)