Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've been trying to keep this catch on the down low" -guy at the bar in PI after passing around near poster size pictures of the fish we are keeping on the down low!
- (Added by: Pointerpride102)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Baker's Musky Lures

Message Subject: Baker's Musky Lures
Esox-Hunter
Posted 11/3/2010 8:55 PM (#465510)
Subject: Baker's Musky Lures

Anybody here of these, have contact information?
zach2626
Posted 11/4/2010 6:46 AM (#465528 - in reply to #465510)
Subject: RE: Baker's Musky Lures

I make these and my heart was broken when one of my favorite lures of all time (the Tuff Shad) went to plastic. I only find wood baits interesting, so i decided to give it a try. Well the first time out using them, I got fish and that was the start. There have been lots of trials and tribulations of bait making that I have found out but I have found 2 baits styles that rock! All lures are cedar blanks that are sealed, then 2 coats of epoxy are added before I even paint. I paint them, add a glitter clear coat and then another clear coat for a total of 4 protective layers over the wood. I use all stainless hardware and vmc conecut trebles with wolverine split rings. I did my largest fish this summer ever on a foiled black perch and in the last tournament on Chautauqua my old lady and I registered more fish than anyone else all on my baits. Up here in the NE we have lots of good bait makers making wood plugs (Wiley's, Leo's, Newman's) and I learned bait-making from these guys and also on my own. These lures are sold at the Happy Hooker bait shop on Chautauqua Lake, and the last order they got from me sold out in 2 weeks, and i just sent them more yesterday. I do lots of foil work and if you want look at the "walleye color for this weekend" in the basement baits section you can see some finished lures. I use .062 wire and this is as heavy of wire as big baits like the huge plow use. I make them as strong as I can and with all the clear coats, I have yet to have one musky tooth break through to the wood. So a Baker's Musky Lure is a handmade cedar bait that handles speeds very, very well and is honestly my most consistent bait I run. i also make a deep diver that i have been using that is the deepest diver i have used. I can crunch bottom w/ them in 30 feet of water at a slow 2.5mph with only 110' of line out. This lets you stay on the structure better than having to break out that lead core and run your bait 200' back. I will post more pictures when I can, but every time I think I have some for back-stock, I turn around and they're sold. I make these to make money for my family. I'm not a huge corporation, and every lure bought helps us out. I stand by each and every lure, now or down the road, and I'll do what needs to be done to fix them for you. Also, if any one has any cracked Tuff Shads, I also refinish them since that is how i stared this whole thing that has snowballed into what is is becoming. Baker's- Bringing back that wood"!
zach2626
Posted 11/4/2010 6:55 AM (#465529 - in reply to #465510)

here are a few colors i did but i hate resizing and haven't figured it 100% out yet so the pic is too small but anyways- contact info- zach baker 24 post hill dr rochester, ny 14623. ph # 585-414-0138 and email @ [email protected]. these were for the bait shop so no foils or anything crazy but will do them. i have a cool foiled black perch that i am finishing up a few of that i will post if anyone is interested. i was planning on putting some up on here but as soon as i make them they are sold so i have been working to just catch up w/ all the orders locally. i made 47 in my last batch last week and all are gone in less than a week so its time to get back to work! to anyone that orders one, thanks very much it helps out the family as i am not a big rich company that will forget about you as soon as i get your cash! i stand behind my stuff 100%!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cropped baits.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cropped baits.jpg (34KB - 602 downloads)
zach2626
Posted 11/5/2010 7:04 AM (#465662 - in reply to #465529)

i just want to give a big thank you to those who have contacted me about lures! i am really excited about anyone interested in them and find it really neat that my name is even known by people outside of NY where i do most of my business! i was going to wait until i was caught up on my local orders before i ever posted anything but i guess it was time since i was shocked to see my name up on here when i pulled up the page. everyone around me knows how excited i was yesterday morning to pull up muskiefirst like i do every morning and see my name on a post and someone looking for me and my baits. my jaw dropped and i am so thankful to all those who have helped me out along the way! i am one thankful paint squirter! if anyone has a free second go to youtube and i have 2 short, crappy videos up i did this summer. just go to youtube and look for Baker Musky Lures. there is one of a fish i got and one of the plug just running on a rough windy day fishing chautauqua. if you can tell by the video at certain speeds my cranks walk or wonder for cool action just like wiley's do.
NitroMusky
Posted 11/8/2010 7:25 AM (#465902 - in reply to #465510)

Yes, these are some nice lures indeed. I was lucky enough to get few when they first came out and they are among the best, if not THE best built bait I've seen. With the amount and quality of the clear, hook rash is a non event. And with the tuning he gave each one, they have a great action. Highly recommended, if you can get your hands on one! Oh, and his foil jobs are incredible, definitely worth the extra coin.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 11/8/2010 8:16 AM (#465907 - in reply to #465902)

And he is also working on one for me , which will get introduced into Lake Melton down here where we have a 50 inch limit. I am expecting to get my new personal best on this Baker Lure for sure.
They look fantastic Zach,
Anxious to get mine.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 11/8/2010 8:19 AM
Larry Jones
Posted 11/26/2010 5:03 PM (#468178 - in reply to #465510)

The Baker Baits are of the highest quality with some of the best painting around and yes they catch lots of Muskies! They will run deeper then most crankbaits with less line out.They will get up to trolling speeds in excess of 7.0 mph and stay running true.Zach also can refurbish your used hook rashed,teeth ripped crankbaits with quality upgrades on screw eyes and the best looking /lasting painting you can find anywhere. I have so much confidence in Zach's work that I sent him all my Hi-Fin Trophy Divers to repair & repaint.

Capt. Larry D. Jones
Mostly Muskies Charters
zach2626
Posted 11/28/2010 5:34 AM (#468329 - in reply to #468178)

Well thank you very much Cpt Larry! I got started in this whole bait thing by refurbishing older cracked Tuff Shads and ended up finding out I could make a bait stronger and last longer than most of whats out there imo. I looked to see how well made baits like the musky rockets (Mr. Jones thanks) were made and attempted to build baits as good as his. I still learn new things all the time and by no means do I think I know it all. I personally would like to thank the many people that have helped me along this journey and those that have got plugs off me. I am the new guy on the block, trying my best to make a decent plug and things are really taking off for me lately. Without a group of amazing people around me none of this would be possible! I can only hope that I am still doing this for years to come. I know I will never get rich squirting paint but as long as I can make enough $ to go hunting and fishing I would be more than happy! Thanks for the publicity as everything helps when you are just starting out and trying to get your name out there! Zach Baker
kodiak
Posted 11/29/2010 9:59 AM (#468501 - in reply to #465510)
Subject: Re: Baker's Musky Lures

looking good!

Edited by kodiak 11/29/2010 10:00 AM
nalod
Posted 11/30/2010 9:05 AM (#468616 - in reply to #465510)

I have had the chance to fish these lures and am overly impressed. The quality of each lure is out of this world! I also have never seen such amazing paint jobs that hold up really well from teeth marks and hook scuffs. Keep up the great work!

--Joe
paguy)
Posted 2/12/2011 6:27 PM (#481352 - in reply to #465510)

bought one today at the butler musky show was a nice guy and hey i had to buy one haha keep up the good work now its up to me to catchem
Boomman
Posted 2/13/2011 3:16 PM (#481475 - in reply to #481352)

Well, lets just say, I bought one out of curiosity and was so extremely impressed with the quality of Zach's baits that i now own six of them.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/14/2011 7:57 AM (#481560 - in reply to #481475)

I have one that Zach made especially for me and it is awesome. I didn't want to fish it but hang it with my collection of custom stuff on the wall. Zach told me he intended me to fish with it and if I don't to send it back. " NO WAY ZACH" I will be introducing it to Melton Hill on Thursday when firstsixfeet and I meet up to spend the day on the lake. I still want one for my collection Zach.
Will let you know how it does for sure.
g1pper23
Posted 2/14/2011 8:52 AM (#481565 - in reply to #465510)

i just picked up one of his baits at the butler show. paint jobs are top notch along with the finish. there are alot of buzz surrounding these baits. everyone i talked to who has one says the same thing "they catch fish". he does put alot of time into them. you will find that out when you see one up close. keep doing what your doing man.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/15/2011 12:01 PM (#481832 - in reply to #481565)

I just got a box today from my man Zach. He wanted me to get them in time to use them on my outing Thursday, ( first one since early last Summer).
Zach, these lures are absolutely awesome to say the very least. They will all see water, but one of them will end up on my collection wall for sure. The rest will get a lot more use as the year goes on. I AM going to do more fishing this year.
I will send you pictures of everything I catch on them. I should be able to break my personal best by a long ways.
The gills and fins are great, you have that special touch, don't change it.
You are on your way my friend, you are on your way.
I can't say "thank you enough"

PS. I Will get even with you soon, you will have a box coming next month so pay attention to what is inside. ( Time to advance the learning curve a hair more)
zach2626
Posted 2/16/2011 8:54 AM (#482013 - in reply to #481832)

I don't know about a PB but they do get the rod bent. I know you don't get out fishin' much Stan, so that is why I sent you some. What an amazing time I had meeting all the faces behind the names at the Pittsburgh Show . I was the biggest fan there. So much, so fast- it's like I am going to wake up tomorrow and its all been a dream. I am so excited for this next year it isn't even funny. What was cool for me was to meet people that did very well fishing them and hearing the stories about them. I was just as happy for them as they were for catching the fish. What a fun, strange trip it's been so far!
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/16/2011 11:05 AM (#482033 - in reply to #482013)

Zach, I really hate to admit to this and I won't again. My PB is only a fat 39 incher. that is the one in the picture. I have this very bad problem of, when I do get to go fishing, that I always have several new patterns I am trying out to make sure the "blends" are where they should be and it looks and does what it was intended to do in the water. My good friend, Jim Bortz, has very kindly chewed me out a few times saying that I will never beat the 39'r if I don't pay attention to what is going on behind the lure and doing the 8's at the boat. He is very correct as I have missed many opportunities to nail some real pigs well into the 40's coming in with the bait.
One real pig tried to slam the lure as I was bringing it out of the water at boat side that she slammed into the boat real hard. I got drowned in that one. Man was she huge. I just laughed and said to Jim " I bet she won't be eating anything for a while with those puckered lips. I was happy as could be that she came after the lure that hard. I believe it was my Golden Firetiger I was testing at the time.
Even though I have a small PB, I always enjoyed the day out even with the misses. I don't test patterns in the tub, clear water isn't the same as stained water.
I finally have learned my lesson a little as I do pay some attention the behind the lure now even if not a lot. New patterns always have my eye.
Tomorrow is the day and if they are going to hit, I will get a new PB on a Baker lure, and Zach will get a picture of a very happy face whith a quick pose of it.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 2/16/2011 11:07 AM
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/16/2011 11:14 AM (#482034 - in reply to #482013)

Forgot, The Three Rivers group that has the show are a great bunch of guys. They invited me down with my customs many times and I always enjoyed it. Maybe next year I can take some time and get with you and we can share a booth up there. With us both bringing lures we could call our booth area ' Zach's and Stan's custom corner". It would be nice to do that show again. Heck, maybe we could get Capt. Larry to join us.
pepsiboy
Posted 2/16/2011 3:45 PM (#482080 - in reply to #465510)

zach2626
what size are you able to build?
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/18/2011 9:50 AM (#482430 - in reply to #482080)

Well, Firstsixfeet and I made good our fishing adventure yesterday. Water was between 44 and 48.5 FSF raised a small one but no hook up. We didn't even have follows. Otherwise we got skunked but still, just getting out was great for me, I enjoyed the time on the water.
FSF was teaching me how to "bounce" lures off the water to get them under low tree branches.
I in turn was teaching him how to Snag branches and limbs on underwater tree structures. He is a fast learner to say the least.
Guess I am pretty rusty from not getting out much.
All in all, had a great time and that is the important part.
Thanks much Jay, really appreciated it for sure.
zach2626
Posted 2/20/2011 5:41 AM (#482658 - in reply to #482430)

Come on Stan- I was hoping for the new state record, lol. At least you got out! One of the coolest things for me is meeting and dealing with people who have the same interests. Who would have ever thought I would befriend someone over 2x my age, 600 miles away? Not me, only in musky fishin' and playin' cards. One of the other cool things I have enjoyed this winter is trading other people who make baits. I have some stuff for this coming year that I have promised to not talk about or show anyone. I have some jerkbaits that people would totally flip over and some topwaters that I know will get eaten. I think trading people has been the most fun part of this winter! If anyone on here ever wants to trade a basement bait, just message me and I will be more than happy to work out a trade. Like I said earlier, I have got some baits that I have traded for that blow production lures away and will promise keep my mouth shut if we do trade and not show others your baits, just for my own use. I am a bait junkie and I am going to have to do more casting this year w/ some of these super baits I have been lucky enough to get. Thanks for helping me have a great winter guys! Now let's just get these lakes to thaw.
LarryJones
Posted 2/20/2011 12:05 PM (#482713 - in reply to #465510)

Stan,I still want to bring the boat down there in April! Zach wait till you see the action on the MDR Chopper Jerkbait.Don't get caught building lures only and not getting on the water at the start of the season.But then again don't stop building lures until I get a tackle box full of yours.
muskie54956
Posted 2/20/2011 3:39 PM (#482748 - in reply to #465510)

today i received my bakers baits i ordered and like everyone said these paint jobs are off the hook and the baits look incredible i cant wait to run them.....thanks again zach
Trolling Thunder
Posted 2/20/2011 3:56 PM (#482751 - in reply to #482748)

I got a couple at the Butler show and like everyone says they are nice. Built like tanks, great hardware, cool paint jobs, etc and a great guy to deal with. I can't wait to get them wet and chewed on!
sker_fishr
Posted 2/20/2011 9:02 PM (#482819 - in reply to #465510)

You make a good looking baits sir. I have a question for anyone to answer. How do you post pics on this site? I have a few baits that I have hand carved and would like to show everyone my first whack at this addicting hobby.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 2/20/2011 9:09 PM (#482820 - in reply to #482751)

Capt. Larry, I will look forward to April. Just let me know a little ahead and I will take the time off work to go with you. getting to #*^@ old to work anyway, but it keeps me busy and perky. Let me know how you do on those MDR Choppers and Mike too. If there are certain colors you want let Mike know and I will do them for you. ( I do know two colors already though don't I?) And who thought I would befriend a young man that is more than twice as young as I just because he can push a button on an airbrush?

Edited by Stan Durst 1 2/20/2011 9:15 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)