Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Quick Strike

Message Subject: Quick Strike
muskyjim
Posted 9/29/2010 7:56 PM (#461464)
Subject: Quick Strike

Any new quick strike rigs on the market that people really like? Or what is your standard one you use? Looking to buy them, not build them.

Thanks.
MuskyMATT7
Posted 9/29/2010 8:13 PM (#461470 - in reply to #461464)
Subject: Re: Quick Strike

Hulbert's Hulcano rig worked very well on the smaller suckers I used last fall(I could ONLY buy small suckers). Also, the drifter lift-off rig seemed to work well for me in the past. I am sure other guys have more experience than me, and have other recommendations.
muskellunged
Posted 9/29/2010 8:31 PM (#461476 - in reply to #461470)

He's my good friend, but I truly believe his rigs are the best made.  Musky Psycho:
http://muskylink.ning.com/profile/muskypsycho

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(psychorig.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments psychorig.JPG (41KB - 186 downloads)
Esox-Hunter
Posted 9/29/2010 8:39 PM (#461477 - in reply to #461470)

Fuzzy's E-Z Duzzit Clip N Go sucker harness. I heard nothing but good things about these. Going to pick up two soon. I also like the Hulbert's Hulcano rig.
Jim Stroede
Posted 9/29/2010 9:46 PM (#461484 - in reply to #461464)
Subject: RE: Quick Strike

Fuzzy's rigs are nice, easy to use, and they work.
MuskieMike
Posted 9/29/2010 10:37 PM (#461489 - in reply to #461464)

Dude, make your own. Way too easy, and way too cheap. Not to mention effective.

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=790
Kevin Cochran
Posted 9/29/2010 11:01 PM (#461491 - in reply to #461464)

I have had great success using Brad Nelson's rigs. Just put them to the test again today. They are simple to use and built to handle big fish. He now makes them with a replaceable bottom wire/hooks so you dont have to throw the entire rig away when it is time to replace the wire.
I have used many different rigs and I really like the ones that Brad makes.
Baby Mallard
Posted 9/29/2010 11:26 PM (#461495 - in reply to #461491)

I also like Mr. Nelson's rigs.  Best rigs I have found so far.
FYGR8
Posted 9/30/2010 5:22 AM (#461498 - in reply to #461484)

Jim Stroede - 9/29/2010 9:46 PM

Fuzzy's rigs are nice, easy to use, and they work.

I too am very impressed with these rigs. Ease and effectiveness make these my go to rigs.
stinger
Posted 9/30/2010 6:54 AM (#461503 - in reply to #461498)

Can someone explain how the clip on the Fuzzy rig works? There's a picture on his website, but you can't really tell how the clip holds onto the sucker. Thanks!
agrimm
Posted 9/30/2010 7:41 AM (#461504 - in reply to #461484)

I started using Brad Nelson's rigs last year and my hook up ratio pretty much doubled. I tried almost every other name brand and a few other homemade versions. The rigs are easy to set up, use and store. I have also used them with ciscos and the light weight really helps mobility and longevity. I've gone three for three so far this year and expect many more. Thanks Brad!
FYGR8
Posted 9/30/2010 7:44 AM (#461506 - in reply to #461503)

There is a triangular spring steel clip that the leader and hooks are attached to. You spread the clip and insert a prong into each nostril. The pressure holds the sucker in place and upon hookset they pull free.

It can be seen here: http://www.shumwaysmusky.com/pages/new-products.php
BNelson
Posted 9/30/2010 10:02 AM (#461517 - in reply to #461506)

thanks for the kudos guys. first I don't make them to make money, they are more time and a pain to make than the couple bucks I make on each one ...trust me....I simply enjoy tinkering and putting good rigs in the hands of musky guys. and get a kick out of the pics and emails I get with the fish stories guys have for me that use them.... in the last couple weeks a 47 and 48 were caught by guys in WI using them..I know Kevin has been cracking em every weekend draggin meat...and we put a couple 50+ in the boat in MN recently on them....are they perfect..nothing is perfect, but they do work.
There are many good rigs on the market from Stealths to Herbies etc that are a lot easier to get your hands on in the stores etc..John makes a good rig and puts the quality and consistency in his rigs that I do as well..He's easy to get a hold of....but if you are interested in some just pm me...I might be making a few more in the next week if I can get some time ..no guarantee on turnaround
agrimm
Posted 9/30/2010 11:43 AM (#461529 - in reply to #461517)

Nicely stated Brad and agree that Stealth makes another great option. Also considered the following; size of the sucker, longevity needed - do you toss the sucker out after a follow or leave it swimming all day), targeted musky size, structure (weeds/wood or rock/gravel), and for me - how many rigged suckers I'm placing in the live-well between spots. This may help you choose the one hook rig or multi. Best of luck and fish smart.
Mr Musky
Posted 9/30/2010 2:44 PM (#461548 - in reply to #461484)

I also use Brad Nelson's sucker rigs, they are flat out awesome and very easy to rig up when the temps are frigid and your hands are numb! Cant wait to pound some more fish on them this weekend!

Mr Musky
Fiedler
Posted 9/30/2010 3:35 PM (#461553 - in reply to #461464)

another vote for the shumway clip n go rig, was just up with Ty Sennett and we went 3 for 4 on them and if the 4th fish wouldn't have started to swallow the sucker right away we probably would have got that one too.
WI Skis
Posted 10/3/2010 3:54 PM (#461910 - in reply to #461464)

I also recently started using Brads rigs and like them a lot. Very easy to rig up the suckers, very well constructed, and great hooking percentage. Received my rigs very soon after ordering them also, nothing like great service.

Peter
jerken jimi
Posted 10/12/2010 7:37 PM (#463092 - in reply to #461489)

MuskieMike - 9/29/2010 10:37 PM

Dude, make your own. Way too easy, and way too cheap. Not to mention effective.

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=790
lambeau
Posted 10/26/2010 4:01 PM (#464624 - in reply to #461464)

using Brad's rigs i'm shooting 19 for 22 so far on hookups in my boat the past 2 years, including a 46"er last year and a nice fish just over 48" this past weekend. we're hoping to beat those next week in Minnesota too.

i used to be satisfied with the 50% hookup rate i got from off-the-shelf or home-made rigs. it was always a "set and hope" kind of a deal, and you can start to get gun shy about hitting them hard when you're scared you're going to whiff. now i'm confident every time i set the hooks that it's going to be solid. i'm convinced that having the small nose hook and two treble hooks on a single piece of wire is the key for clean break-aways from the sucker.

Brad also upgraded to 149-strand wire this year, and it makes a big difference for durability of the rigs. i'm now getting multiple fish on every rig before they're too badly bent up to keep using. when i'm investing $7 in a single sucker, i want to make sure i'm putting it on a rig that'll catch the fish when a muskie finally eats it!

Mr Musky
Posted 10/26/2010 8:41 PM (#464665 - in reply to #461464)

Brad Nelson's rigs came thru for us again this past trip up northern, we pounded 6 fish on them and 5 were over 45 inches. These rigs pop off clean and pin the big fatties tight! You guys who are questioning what rig you should be using shoot Brad a PM and he'll take care of you. These are one of a kind rigs on the market and you cannot get them from anyone but Brad. Give them a try, you wont be dissapointed!!
FishOfAThousandCasts
Posted 10/27/2010 11:06 AM (#464721 - in reply to #461464)

Here's a few pics that were caught on Brad's rigs.
Mr Musky
Posted 10/27/2010 11:07 AM (#464722 - in reply to #464721)

Here they are

(Sam_0039-crop.jpg)

(Sonnet1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sam_0039-crop.jpg (65KB - 189 downloads)
Attachments Sonnet1.JPG (58KB - 166 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 10/29/2010 7:31 AM (#464972 - in reply to #461464)

nice fish guys...and thanks for the compliments on the rigs....I think they are fine tuned even further now w/ that 149 strand and split ringed the hook section (thanks to Mr Musky) so when one gets beat up simply put on a new hook section and not have to replace the full rig...the number of big fish that have been stuck on the rigs this fall is actually quite shocking...I can think of 12 in WI over 45 inches up to 49.75" in the last 2 weeks and another 8 over 50" in MN up to giant size in that same time frame...
when guys rig up suckers right the hooks are finding the right spots!
hittin it this weekend to sting some more!
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/30/2010 3:35 PM (#465087 - in reply to #461464)

Been very happy with Stealth rigs. Solid made rigs IMO and well worth the money. John makes each one by hand and ensures quality. Good guy to deal with too.
http://www.stealthtackle.net/fishing_products.shtml
James
mseybert
Posted 10/31/2010 7:20 AM (#465128 - in reply to #461464)

I understand if Brad doesn't want it up here, but how about a picture of his rig?
krezyk
Posted 10/31/2010 12:22 PM (#465159 - in reply to #461464)

I like the hulcano rig as it utilizes fluorocarbon instead of wire. I was flattered to see that Mike took my basic rig that I showed him years ago while we fished on Webster and took it to the next level. After all, it's not rocket science and we all seem to take basic concepts and improve on them. With a little ingenuity I've taken the hulcano rig and swapped out the "fluoro" hook harness with wire......just for my peace of mind.
edalz
Posted 10/31/2010 12:33 PM (#465160 - in reply to #465087)

Tackle Industries - 10/30/2010 3:35 PM

Been very happy with Stealth rigs. Solid made rigs IMO and well worth the money. John makes each one by hand and ensures quality. Good guy to deal with too.
http://www.stealthtackle.net/fishing_products.shtml
James

Great product and John is a real good guy and provides fantastic service.
muskihntr
Posted 10/31/2010 1:40 PM (#465163 - in reply to #461464)

If had a dime for everytime..........aw nevermind.

Anyway, just a little history....The Hulcano Harnesses originated from a all fluoro sucker rig that we had been using for a while with great success. Mike wasnt comfortable with the idea of using all fluoro at the time, so in developing the rig that he wanted to put his name on we added the wire section to the rig according to the specs he wanted as far as hook placement, hook size etc. Pretty simple. After 5 years of use and a ton of fish I have decided to release my all fluoro Stealth Rigs for sale which we started selling last year. I can honestly tell you we have had great success along with ZERO failures on this rig, and you may have also seen it featured a few times on Musky Hunter TV.

I also believe all of our rigs are the simplest rigs to use from a rigging standpoint, based on the fact that all you have to do is put in your lip hook, treble hook, set it in the water and your ready to go. No tools, No rubberbands, no clips no wires and nothing to thread. you can literally rig your sucker with your gloves on! There are alot of nice rigs out there to choose from and as Ive always said, if sucker fishing is something you are going to take seriously and do often, take the time to do some experimenting with different rigs and use the one/brand/type you are most comfortable with that works good for you.

I would like to say that the new Shumway rig looks really nice and I think they hit a home run with that one! The Maina and Herbie rigs also work well, the psycho rigs are built solid etc etc. Lots of nice homemade rigs out there too. Whatever rig you decide to use I hope you consider supporting the legit tackle companies and dealers out there, who help support our industry.

Thanks to all of you who use our rigs and products, and say such good things about them on the various message boards. I really appreciate the continued support, and consider my customer base the most important asset of my company.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)