Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Perry's Guideline's for Fishing Success

Message Subject: Perry's Guideline's for Fishing Success
hawkeye9
Posted 9/28/2010 10:09 AM (#461135)
Subject: Perry's Guideline's for Fishing Success

Just wondering how many guys have read Perry's anthology and for those who have, whether they would recommend it. Each time people list books that should be read it never gets mentioned. I'm wondering if the price tag is why or if the information is just better attained through reading Spoonplugging (I haven't yet read Spoonplugging either). I'm sure Perry disciples will say it's a must read, right? What about guys that are just soaking up as much knowledge as possible. Worth passing up a couple of new lures and making the investment?
GMan
Posted 9/28/2010 11:10 AM (#461148 - in reply to #461135)
Subject: RE: Perry's Guideline's for Fishing Success

I've read Buck Perry's Spoonplugging book...lots of good info, but not always "spot on" for muskies. Its widely available and inexpensive. Why not start with it and then decide if you want to be a Perry Disciple?
tuffy1
Posted 9/28/2010 11:17 AM (#461149 - in reply to #461148)

I've read it, and there is lots of good stuff in there. Makes you think more about fish movements and how you view the bottom of the lake. You can easilly learn to read a lake for fishing structure and it will help you become a better fisherman. I'm not a student of his, but it did make me think different about what is down there.
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/28/2010 12:37 PM (#461165 - in reply to #461135)
Subject: Re: Perry's Guideline's for Fishing Success

Read it.

I doubt this will stop Borst from coming on here and having an emission, but the book is good for pegging fish movement, develops a way of thinking about activity periods and migrations for school fish, and helps your understanding of structural elements that need your recognition and attention. Not a theory that covers everything musky, or even everything walleye and bass, but a good frame of reference.

There is a lot of stuff that contradicts Bucks theories, but most of us will be improved as fisherman by reading his books.
hawkeye9
Posted 9/28/2010 1:17 PM (#461177 - in reply to #461135)

Thanks for the responses thus far. I should have noted that I'm aware of the Perry knowlege base being either praised or contested. Hopefully this thread doesn't go that way. Generally I was wondering whether there are compelling reasons to read the anthology over simply reading spoonplugging. I've come to the "dark side" and love fishing for muskies above anything else anymore, but being down South (with warm water) muskie only comprise a part of my fishing (bluegill and bass still make-up a fair portion of my time on the water). I'm gonna order a copy of spoonplugging, just wondering about the other for a potential Christmas present.
Mike
Posted 9/28/2010 3:55 PM (#461223 - in reply to #461135)

I would like to buy these books. I'm not sure which ones or if it's a series? If someone could take the time to put a link up here so I can find it easier I would appreciate it.
Simple fisherman
Posted 9/28/2010 4:17 PM (#461230 - in reply to #461135)

Hawkeye I think you will enjoy the guidelines if this is what u mean by the anthology.I have heard many comments on this web site saying they are good but not always corrrect. I personally believe them to be correct but sometimes I am not able to correlate this to what I am experiencing at the time. I would welcome those opposing camps to debate why from there experience the guidelines are correct or not. We could all learn something from that debate.If youll allow me to start I personally believe it is more productive to use my electronics to map a reservoir rather than troll snaggy water to learn structure. But once learned to fish as I see fit.
jerryb
Posted 9/28/2010 10:39 PM (#461314 - in reply to #461230)

Before I wet myself too much,,, let me 1st say that the few who purchase Mr. Perry's 9 volume study course and even fewer who understand most of what he teaches only do so after they complete his book, "Spoonplugging Your guide To Lunker Catches". They have also gone out and done what Mr. Perry has suggested. This course is a more detailed in depth look and reinforces more of the same, and yes I highly recommend reading them, studying them, investing the time it takes till you understand what he is teaching, in that order.

What about guys that are just soaking up as much knowledge as possible. Worth passing up a couple of new lures and making the investment?

A shinny new lure will never teach you a thing, unless you know what answers you are looking for.

2nd,, "Take it or leave it"! Makes no difference...

3rd, The way I see it is, if you want to get really good at catching fish "all fish" fresh or salt water,, and do so quickly, relatively speaking, It's going to take you a lot of work, time and money and to be honest most fail who attempt it. However, am I implying only through the teachings of Mr. Buck Perry can this be done,,, I am! I'm a sell out, ha ha.. I think I just wet a bit...

Ask yourself even if you hate to troll, what if you invested the next 5 years learning 10 new lakes a year, a few natural lakes up north, a few reservoirs to the south, a river or two, 50 different body's of water,,, that you know like the back of your hand. You've learned to present lures correctly, you've learned to identify a productive structure situation from a non producer on any lake you ever go. You've learned to troll correctly, you now use equipment, including boats that allow you to control your depth and speed with exact precision.You will at the end of that time know exactly where to cast if that's what makes you happy. But you will never do so imo, "just soaking up as much knowledge as possible".

There is a ton of confusion out there and only after having a base of true fishing facts will you be able to separate the two, and when you do you can spot bs from a mile away!

SF, buy one of my lure retrievers and all of your problems will be solved!

Edited by jerryb 9/28/2010 10:42 PM
jbidinger
Posted 9/29/2010 6:37 PM (#461459 - in reply to #461135)

Amem Jerry Amen, The truth is the truth.. Jerry u Know A lot of guys dont Know they dont know!! But reading Bucks books is a great start to the Truth...

Spoonplugger.net
simple fisherman
Posted 9/29/2010 8:28 PM (#461475 - in reply to #461135)

Jerry
Believe me I have more problems than your lure retreiver could solve although there pretty nice but I doubt they could turn teenage girls into boys. Well anyway I fish a large flatland impoundment deepest water 32' creek channel silted in for the most part to the end of the old flood plain breakline except where wind action keeps the breakline hard bottom at 22'. Almost all points go all the way and are narrow. The state and untold fisherman drop brushpiles and cribs from the top of these points to 17' weeds grow to 6' tops,shoreline trees are cut and dropped for cover. 90% of the muskys are caught trolling shortlines over water 10' or less especially in the spring. Please tell me how trolling a 100 or less spoonplug can effeciently cover water to 10' rather than a shallow running plug atop all that cover. And yes I do troll spoonplugs and mudbugs 17 to 22 and can hold position to pop a heddon sonar off a ticks ars because my flasher has a 11 degree cone. which unless you convince me otherwise makes mapping easier. Now lets hear from all the people who think the guidelines are flawed or not spot on. This could be very interesting and insightful so join in.
Posted 9/30/2010 6:45 PM (#461576 - in reply to #461475)

SF,

Your right about the girls, have fun with that.. I can relate some having 4 boys in the boat which had it's own set of situations. Fights, pushing each other in the lake, and lots of, shall we say other stuff. I'm sure you wouldn't change a thing.

Sound like you know your water well. The amount of muskie lures in those cribs. mmmm, You could have a field day in that place. Where is it? ha ha.

You can either move key brush piles (save it!) if possible, or get good shoreline sightings that allows you to just pass by them without getting hung up. OR,, I hate to say it but it may be that some lakes (very few) are not worth the effort or expen$e,, and our time may be better spent elsewhere. We can't make a lake something that it's not.

Fish caught up shallow in the spring sure, but a couple weeks after the spawn you should be able to get em in deeper water, out beyond the cribs.

"tell me how trolling a 100 or less spoonplug can effectively cover water to 10' rather than a shallow running plug atop all that cover".

You use what ever "tool" it takes to do the job, if you learn that the cribs in one area come up to 5' in 10' of water use a lure or bait that runs at 5'-6'. It could be a short line 250 or something else, what ever it takes. Don't be concerned with brand names. Spoonlpugging is NOT a lure.

Best of luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)