Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 200 Opti made some noise last night

Reply New post
Message Subject: 200 Opti made some noise last night
Lunker_1
Posted 9/27/2010 10:02 AM (#460941)
Subject: 200 Opti made some noise last night

I just left the landing and was running up to speed on my Tuffy 1890 w/ a 2006 200 Opti and all of a sudden it lost power (no alarm) and made a whole bunch of clicking/rattling noise like a card in a bicycle spoke. The motor died and when I tried to start it back up it just clicked like the motor was seized. Wouldn't even turn over. Check oil level - good. I thought this couldn't happen again as I had to replace the powerhead on it this time last year cause it blew up! After several times trying to start it I raised the motor up to see it the prop/lower end was ok, which it was, and then lowered it back down. Tried it one more time and it started right up and ran just fine the rest of the night. Weird!

Anyone run across this or have any ideas maybe what cause this?

Thanks.

Jeff
TJ DeVoe
Posted 9/27/2010 10:32 AM (#460946 - in reply to #460941)
Subject: Re: 200 Opti made some noise last night

I would suggest taking it in and having them hook the computer up to it. If there was any faults of any kind, the computer will tell them at what hour on the motor it happened, the time it happened, how many times it happened and it might even tell you the problem if there was one for it to detect.
sworrall
Posted 9/27/2010 11:35 AM (#460960 - in reply to #460941)

The sound you heard was probably the prop rotating after the engine lost power; that's exactly the sound it would make. I'd have it hooked up by a dealer to see what the computer says.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/27/2010 8:00 PM (#461060 - in reply to #460941)
Subject: RE: 200 Opti made some noise last night

Not sure why it stopped but the gears will 'click' like that if it shuts off in gear. Did you find that you moved the shifter a bit to find neutral, to get it to finally start?

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/27/2010 8:03 PM
4amuskie
Posted 9/28/2010 11:08 AM (#461147 - in reply to #460941)

That does not sound good. I doubt the computer will tell anything. You need to have compression. Head removal will tell the real story. Most opti engine failures are during ciold water conditions and are temp related. What ever you find make sure you get a smartcraft gauge if you dont have one already. Watch the engine temp before you take off to make sure it goes through a complete thermostat cycle before you take off and comes back to stable temp. Probably in the mid 120's on your engine. If you are running in cold water in the fall a gradual acceleration is best. Good luck. I'm assuming you still have a warranty on it.
sworrall
Posted 9/28/2010 11:20 AM (#461151 - in reply to #460941)

I think you missed the part where the motor started back up after trimming it up and down, started and ran fine the rest of the night. If there was a compression problem, it wouldn't have. This sounds electrical to me, and definitely should be checked by a Merc tech.
4amuskie
Posted 9/28/2010 1:02 PM (#461174 - in reply to #461151)

I didnt miss that part. Personal experience you might say. A computer scan would surely be in order and a compression check for sure. It is alot better than throwing a rod through the block. Good luck and dont forget the smartcraft. It is worth its weight in gold!
Captain
Posted 10/4/2010 10:08 AM (#462032 - in reply to #460941)

I would fear cold seizing a piston. I have had this EXACT same thing happen on snowmobiles. It would make a tremendous racquet. Then wouldnt start, but if it sat for a bit start right up and run fine.
Hopefully this isnt the case.
Cory
Posted 10/4/2010 10:40 AM (#462037 - in reply to #460941)

You also may have had some water run through your engine. This has happened to me on a 115 merc 2 stroke. Sounds horrible. After a few minutes I was able to get the engine running and worked just fine with no other issues.

As others have suggested, I have heard it is very important to let those optis warm up before cracking them wide open. Running at 20 mph for 5 minutes or so usually does the job.

Cory
Lunker_1
Posted 10/4/2010 12:12 PM (#462056 - in reply to #462037)

Just got it back from the shop. Nothing found. Scan test, compression test, fuel sample, etc all checked out ok. The clicking is confirmed noise coming from the prop being engaged when it died. Just weird that it just clicked like a seized motor when trying to restart. Then starting and running fine after trimmed up and then trimmed back down. So... I'll just go fish and keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I'll repower it with a 200 pro xs next year and not worry about it!

Jeff
TJ DeVoe
Posted 10/4/2010 1:37 PM (#462066 - in reply to #462056)

The clicking you heard may have been from when you tried restarting because you had the motor in gear. So, when the motor died, it was in gear, and you tried to restart it in gear, perhaps that's the noise you heard. I've done that once or twice, nothing to be worried about.
moreyes
Posted 10/5/2010 5:29 AM (#462165 - in reply to #462066)

If you have a OPTI i would highly rec a smartcraft gauge, they make a small 2inch version it could be a life saver for your engine by showing the engine temp. With fall coming and cold water temps proper engine warm up is critical. That little gauge shows engine temp, at times you could have a stuck stat and if the stat is not working right and your engine is cold when you put the throttle down hard COLD SIEZE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)