Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Line diameter, 20 lb. extra tough mono

Message Subject: Line diameter, 20 lb. extra tough mono
Cast
Posted 9/27/2010 9:20 AM (#460930)
Subject: Line diameter, 20 lb. extra tough mono

Here is one for you line experts. I am finally going to spring for a superbraid after a shocking break off incident when I was practicing with my jerk bait rod. (There is now a 6" Rattle Hawg (surface bait) floating down the Allegheny or Ohio rivers near Pittsburgh.) I am trying to gauge what weight superbraid to buy. I was using 20 lb. extra tough mono. Can anyone tell me what diameter that size mono would have. I don't want to get anything thicker than that in the superbraid.
Live and learn.

P.S. Is there any reason not to get mossy green colored superbraid?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 9/27/2010 10:00 AM (#460939 - in reply to #460930)
Subject: RE: Line diameter, 20 lb. extra tough mono

80lb braid = 17lb mono dia.
100lb braid = 20lb mono dia.
Also loosen your drag a click and U won't have to set the hooks as hard as with mono, braid has no stretch.
DR in VA
Posted 9/27/2010 11:23 AM (#460957 - in reply to #460930)
Subject: Re: Line diameter, 20 lb. extra tough mono

I think 80lb braid is a good all around musky line.

I keep my drags TIGHT and set the hook pretty hard as well. I'll only loosen a drag if I get a fish on that is worthy of loosening it. I dont like a reels drag to slip on the hook set, I want to PLANT those large diameter hooks as best as I can.

DR
Musky Madman
Posted 9/27/2010 2:26 PM (#460999 - in reply to #460930)

DR, it's only a matter of time before you snap a nice one off. I USED to keep my drags tight, until this year I had a 50' class tiger musky come out from under the boat and crush a mag tinsel on the 8. Snapped my line almost instantly (which was 80lb stealth) and I have to blame it on the drag. Since then I've found it easy enough to keep the drag a bit looser and thumb the line on hookset to avoid slipping.
Although I would agree, 80lb is a good all around line. If you're throwing bigger stuff like mag dawgs and pounders consistently I would not hesistate to go up to 100 or 130lb.
DR in VA
Posted 9/27/2010 7:05 PM (#461047 - in reply to #460930)

Madman I hope you're wrong LOL. I might should mention that I use Bass reels that dont have much more than around 10lbs of drag. Might make a difference? 45 has been my biggest....I can only pray for the 50

DR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)