Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> oppose the federal ban on lead in fishing tackle

Frozen
Message Subject: oppose the federal ban on lead in fishing tackle
DJS
Posted 9/9/2010 7:46 AM (#458737 - in reply to #458540)
Subject: RE: oppose the federal ban on lead in fishing tackle

I look forward to the day that when I rise out of bed in the morning and I need to call the government hotline so they can tell me the most efficient route I should use on the way to the bathroom and how long I can turn the lights on and how much water I can use for my shower. The above statement is only absurd until it becomes our reality and then we'll all ask, "How did this happen?".
It starts with a ban on lead and then what? Is there a harmful chemical in fishing line?
Muskiemetal
Posted 9/9/2010 7:58 AM (#458740 - in reply to #458540)
Subject: Re: oppose the federal ban on lead in fishing tackle

25,000 Boat
5,000 Locators / GPS
4,000 Fishing tackle
5,000 Fishing rods and reels (conservative)
Having to spend 1 more dollar for lead free jigheads OUTRAGOUS!!!!!
lambeau
Posted 9/9/2010 8:04 AM (#458741 - in reply to #458737)

The above statement is only absurd until it becomes our reality and then we'll all ask, "How did this happen?". It starts with a ban on lead and then what? Is there a harmful chemical in fishing line?

that's the kind of nonsense people used to say about Asbestos and Mercury and DDT and PCBs...and without those "absurd" government regulations and clean-up efforts, no one would be fishing muskies in the Fox River or Green Bay right now.

i'm not a fan of government over-regulation unless it's sensible and necessary, which i think it is in this case. i like loons, and i can fish just fine using other kinds of weights in my lures.

Junkman
Posted 9/9/2010 9:55 AM (#458750 - in reply to #458540)

I think that one of the hardest things to do in life is to sort out what folks are telling you because they have their own agenda at heart, or whether they really care about you. Some folks, like the ones who end up working at the DNR can be more confusing than others. They can seem totally out of touch with reality one minute, and then the next minute you see them do something that puts more healthy fish in the lakes and more healthy deer in the woods. It's no different with politics when you think the Dems are always going to stick up for the unions and the GOP is always going to stick up for the fat cats who own the oil companies. Life presents too complex a canvas to be painted with just one brush. I agee that when somebody shows up and says, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help," the heapingest teaspoon of doubt is fully in order. On the other hand, they put up stop signs at intersections where your kid might have been hit by a car, and developed a car seat that has kept plenty of them from crashing through the windshield. So, the argument really needs to get away from WHO is telling you to buy a different kind of split-shot sinker, and move strictly into the area of WHETHER it is smart "as and angler" to choose a different product. Marty Forman
gus_webb
Posted 9/9/2010 10:03 AM (#458752 - in reply to #458740)

Having to spend 1 more dollar for lead free jigheads OUTRAGOUS!!!!!

That's kind of the question, though... What constitutes a jighead? A Bulldawg/SuperD/Suzy Sucker could technically be a jig, couldn't it? It's soft plastic twister tail cast around what is essentially a giant jig. I'd bet a lot of bucktails have a lead egg sinker behind the hair or flash to get enough weight in the lure. So that's a lead sinker, right? And most every wood bait has some weight buried in it to run properly. While the lead may be more or less 'contained' in any given bait, it still (most likely) has some in it.
If we're going to consider this as something similar to the dangers of asbestos, could existing lures be grandfathered in the same way? My 1925 house has asbestos. It's still intact, not flaking (or becoming 'friable'), and not currently a health risk. New homes shouldn't use it, but mine has it... that doesn't mean I can't use my house.
I'd be much more inclined to support this legislation if there was some clarity on what the ban actually means. If it's that no lures containing lead may be used, that's one thing. If it's that no lures may be produced (after a certain date) that contain lead, that's something else.
Brian
Posted 9/9/2010 1:02 PM (#458786 - in reply to #458540)

If it can be done within a reasonable cost, I am in favor of banning lead. I prefer not to touch the stuff. When I work on my lures in the kitchen, I wipe down the table after I am done, and I am still nervous about it.

Brian
pterodactyl
Posted 9/10/2010 6:27 AM (#458872 - in reply to #458540)

seems the critical issue (besides ensuring waterfowl don't eat gravel-like lead pieces) is lead solubility in water. e.g. Does it just sit there as a big inert chunk or dissolve into our water?

from http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/lead/lead-and-water.htm

bold font is mine

In what way and in what form does lead react with water?

Under normal conditions lead does not react with water. However, when lead comes in contact with moist air reactivity with water increases. A small lead oxide (PbO) layer forms at the surface of the metal. When both oxygen and water are present, metallic lead is converted to lead hydroxide (Pb(OH)2):

2Pb(s)+ O2(g) + 2H2O(l) -> 2 Pb(OH)2(s)

Solubility of lead and lead compounds

Elementary lead does not dissolve in water under normal conditions (20oC, and pressure = 1 bar). It may however occur dissolved in water as PbCO3 or Pb(CO3)22-. A well-known example of a water soluble lead compound is lead sugar (lead(II)acetate), which derived its name from its sweet nature.
Lead frequently binds to sulphur in sulphide form (S2-), or to phosphor in phosphate form (PO43-). In these forms lead is extremely insoluble, and is present as immobile compounds in the environment. Lead compounds are generally soluble in soft, slightly acidic water.

simple fisherman
Posted 9/10/2010 10:17 AM (#458890 - in reply to #458540)

And if the water is slightly acidic, say from sulphur dioxide would lead then be water soluble. On another point is this ban the sky is falling type thing, maybe even initiated by anti-gun proponents as a back door effort to close shooting ranges. Water temps are falling and I am just so darn happy I could just poop.
sworrall
Posted 9/10/2010 1:27 PM (#458909 - in reply to #458540)

If there's no lead in fishing, whom shall we follow?

Sorry, had to. Long freaking week.
Simple fisherman
Posted 9/10/2010 3:38 PM (#458933 - in reply to #458540)

WE SHALL FOLLOW THE FISHING GOD MEPPS SON OF CISCO BROTHER TO LEGEND COUSIN OF WILEY AND LEO GRANDSON OF HEDDON AND RAPALA

Posts like this is the reason Im called simple

Edited by Simple fisherman 9/10/2010 3:47 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)