Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone want to carpool to the DNR input meetings?

Message Subject: Anyone want to carpool to the DNR input meetings?
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/30/2010 12:04 PM (#457346)
Subject: Anyone want to carpool to the DNR input meetings?

I'm planning on hitting the Waterville meeting this Thursday night. Anyone want to carpool?
jakejusa
Posted 8/30/2010 12:29 PM (#457352 - in reply to #457346)
Subject: RE: Anyone want to carpool to the DNR input meetings?

I'd chip in towards a BUS!
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/30/2010 12:51 PM (#457363 - in reply to #457352)
Subject: Re: Anyone want to carpool to the DNR input meetings?

I'm thinking of meeting either around 494 and 35w or maybe down in the Lakeville Gander.
happy hooker
Posted 8/30/2010 7:56 PM (#457431 - in reply to #457363)

carpooling is a good idea,,,bus is a bad one,,, if you see a big bus come pulling into the parking lot at meeting filled with musky guys all the local residents that might be on the fence one way or another are sure to vote against it seeing how MUCH more traffic is going to come to the lake
Believe it or not...
Posted 8/30/2010 9:48 PM (#457448 - in reply to #457346)

There is alot more local support than you might think. I know of around 30 plus people from the Waterville area showing up to speak their mind. We still will need to get as many people at this meeting as possible. There will be heavy resistance from the Darkhouse here. Why does this feel like they are starting a war?
Chad Cain
Posted 8/31/2010 9:19 AM (#457479 - in reply to #457346)

For those of us that can't attend the meetings, what can we do to help out. Is there someone we can contact to give our opinions, or do we have to attend the meeting. If I didn't have a guide trip already for Thursday, I would certainly attend.
jakejusa
Posted 8/31/2010 9:38 AM (#457485 - in reply to #457346)

Why yes Chad there is: [email protected], that's [email protected], and by mail to Muskie Stocking Proposals, Minnesota DNR, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids, MN 55744.
starts Sept 1st and the DNR will take input through Sept 30th.
Thanks for asking & how's Bassin Bob doing he's been pretty quiet lately!
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/31/2010 9:47 AM (#457489 - in reply to #457485)

Thanks for the support Chad. If you look at the top post here you will see the information. Please forward that link to everyone in your book as everyone's input is counted the same. This is the time we need to rally to help ourselves get more lakes!!!!!
AWH
Posted 8/31/2010 9:49 AM (#457490 - in reply to #457346)

You can also call and give your feedback directly to Tim Goeman, Regional Fisheries Manager, at 218-999-7819. Remember to voice your support for all 5 proposals.

Aaron
Musky Chad
Posted 8/31/2010 1:54 PM (#457538 - in reply to #457490)

I was at the Brainerd info meeting last night at the college and the upper and south long lake had a good showing there and they all appeared to be strongly against the proposal. They stated over and over again they dont want increased traffic on their lake and that there small landing cannot handle extra trailers.. They also fear we will bring exotic species to the lake. On a good note there does not appear to be much concern over damage to other species. We are going to need every musky fisherman to give there voice to have a chance. As Aaron stated remember to state your approval for all 5.
Chad

Edited by Musky Chad 8/31/2010 2:55 PM
short STRIKE
Posted 8/31/2010 2:37 PM (#457548 - in reply to #457538)

Chad is exactly right... the family cabin is 10 minutes from upper south, and all of the friends we have on Upper and Lower are strongly opposed to the stocking. It will take a collective effort but in my opinion if the facts are layed out in a straight forward presentation, without bickering and heated confrontations some of the land owners around the lake can perhaps be persuaded to soften their stance of opposition. People are afraid of change, and the unknown, but if it can conveyed to be a benefit to the lake and the surrounding communities, you might get some allies pretty quickly. I can't get to the meating in Brainerd in time due to work obligations, but I have sent my e-mail and placed my phone call.
Posted 8/31/2010 2:56 PM (#457554 - in reply to #457346)

This issue of transient trailers and their impact bringing exotics is an interesting angle they are taking. I just got an earful of that from a colleague at work who lives on Tonka and feels due to his proximity to the lake he should get a say in control over who can access that lake. He wants the DNR to eliminate access to transient trailers for unifested waters.

We shouldn't ignore this issue becuase it is a very real threat, albiet not unique to muskie anglers.

I'm starting to see a need to alter the mission statement for Muskies, Inc. to include the new addition of a objective to purchase land to develop access to lakes since so many of the proposed lakes have small ramps that are already full on a regular basis.
happy hooker
Posted 8/31/2010 3:00 PM (#457556 - in reply to #457554)

we need to push that angle on Mann lake, a lake with muskies in that we have no access to. Ive brought that up several times at MI and Alliance meetings
raftman
Posted 8/31/2010 3:47 PM (#457559 - in reply to #457554)

I just got an earful of that from a colleague at work who lives on Tonka and feels due to his proximity to the lake he should get a say in control over who can access that lake. He wants the DNR to eliminate access to transient trailers for unifested waters.

So I'm guessing this guy is so concerned about our lakes that he was all for the new rules Pawlenty buried that would have restricted dock sizes and help prevent overdevelopment of our state's shorelines w/ giant mansions sitting on top of the water w/ the lush, heavily fertilized green lawns.

Anyhow, I can't get to the meetings, but will be sending an email tonight.
Musky Chad
Posted 8/31/2010 4:02 PM (#457561 - in reply to #457346)

It was kinda funny, one person brought up that maybe they could get a new access built if this went through and many of them said that they did not want a bigger access... which in turn would bring more boats...
dcmusky
Posted 8/31/2010 4:45 PM (#457568 - in reply to #457561)

Boat slips thats the answer! What color canopy do you want.
Try having you phone number in a few stores in Waterville for a fun filled evening.
Dan Crooms ch54
B420
Posted 8/31/2010 4:58 PM (#457570 - in reply to #457346)

I was also at the Brainerd meeting last night and was very dissapointed in the turnout by muskie folks. To say the lake association is opposed would be understatement. If we get another turnout like that on thursday we are going to be hurtin
Musky Chad
Posted 8/31/2010 10:25 PM (#457613 - in reply to #457570)

Muskie Inc was also asked if we had Babe Winkelman take pics of south long... quote " Did you guys have Babe take pictures two years ago of our lake?" answer "no we did nothing of the sort" the persons reply " then who did and what was there reasoning?" This one kind of caught us all of guard... for some reason they do not like Babe..
and the beat goes on......
the beat goes on.........
Chad
Posted 9/1/2010 8:03 AM (#457637 - in reply to #457346)

I find it rather unbalanced to have the meeting for input on a week night in the backyard of the location in question. Doesn't the DNR realize that people have jobs that interfere with participating, people travel to fish muskie lakes, people have jobs that interfere with traveling to distant locations to participate in meetings like this, oh and did I mention that people have jobs? Why can't this be done on a weekend? Why can't this be done at the DNR offices in St Paul? Now that would be interesting. IF the opposition had to travel all the way to St Paul wouldn't that accomplish more than a few good things? It would test how real the opposition's commitment is. I bet their numbers would be way down. It would also put us all on a more level playing field and take the meeting out of "their" back yard where they feel ownership of the lake.

On another note this is turning out to be another sad reflection on how selfish the muskie community is looking at the low turnouts for the support. We all talk a great game but when it comes to deciding how we will use our free time, fishing always wins. Pretty sad. So we poke at the people who oppose our views because they act like a public resource is private but in reality aren't we the ones that look rather silly considering we want something but not bad enough to actually show up and then we cry about their actions when we don't get what we want?
Captain
Posted 9/1/2010 8:23 AM (#457639 - in reply to #457346)

Yeah, musky fishing is exploding in MN, but there arent enough people to show support over it.

Everyone likes the musky boon, but it is probably like a bell curve where it rises up then will fall off almost as dramatically unless changes are made.

I hope the decision is made more on facts than on public opinion, but I am not sure that would be a popular move by the DNR either.
guest 2
Posted 9/1/2010 8:33 AM (#457642 - in reply to #457637)

Guest - 9/1/2010 8:03 AM

I find it rather unbalanced to have the meeting for input on a week night in the backyard of the location in question. Doesn't the DNR realize that people have jobs that interfere with participating, people travel to fish muskie lakes, people have jobs that interfere with traveling to distant locations to participate in meetings like this, oh and did I mention that people have jobs? Why can't this be done on a weekend? Why can't this be done at the DNR offices in St Paul? Now that would be interesting. IF the opposition had to travel all the way to St Paul wouldn't that accomplish more than a few good things? It would test how real the opposition's commitment is. I bet their numbers would be way down. It would also put us all on a more level playing field and take the meeting out of "their" back yard where they feel ownership of the lake.

On another note this is turning out to be another sad reflection on how selfish the muskie community is looking at the low turnouts for the support. We all talk a great game but when it comes to deciding how we will use our free time, fishing always wins. Pretty sad. So we poke at the people who oppose our views because they act like a public resource is private but in reality aren't we the ones that look rather silly considering we want something but not bad enough to actually show up and then we cry about their actions when we don't get what we want?

I agree with your statement except the part "They act like a public resourse is private" Just maybe, thats what they see us as?
Good luck at the meeting guys and gals!
Muskie Treats
Posted 9/1/2010 8:39 AM (#457643 - in reply to #457346)

Soooooooo, out of over 50,000 muskie anglers in the TC metro area NOBODY wants to carpool to the Waterville meeting???? Wow, I guess we'll be burning a lot of excess gas tomorrow...
happy hooker
Posted 9/1/2010 9:39 AM (#457648 - in reply to #457643)

this is standard,,,born here Ive been to many of these meetings,,Minnesota muskie guys are very generous when opening up the wallet and donating but when it comes time to put the keys in the ignition and show up they just dont do it, tell them they can save $3 on a double ten and they'll drive across the twin cities,,,looks like it will be a big future migration to catfish,,hell even Nokomis is getting them put in
DocDean
Posted 9/2/2010 9:43 AM (#457806 - in reply to #457346)
Subject: Meetings Today

Shawn or anyone,

Can you tell me if the meeting in St. Paul is still on today??

Do we have to attend specific meetings to comment on all and/or specific lakes??

I will be quite squeezed to travel to Brainard to comment on Roosevelt/north and South Long Lakes. Was hoping I could have same or similar influence at St. Paul but Kevins update in above thread does not mention St. Paul. Id be willing to head to Brainard but wont be done with work until 12:30-1:00.
If anyone else wants to travel up there let me know.

Dean

happy hooker
Posted 9/2/2010 9:52 AM (#457812 - in reply to #457806)
Subject: RE: Meetings Today

anybody have a guess which one Schnitker will be at??? thats the one Id like to go to
Top H2O
Posted 9/3/2010 6:50 PM (#458039 - in reply to #457812)
Subject: RE: Meetings Today

Guys, I couldn't make it last night so,.... How did it go??

Jerome
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/3/2010 7:28 PM (#458040 - in reply to #457346)

ulbian
Posted 9/3/2010 7:30 PM (#458041 - in reply to #457346)

Holy crap Pointer. Nicely timed and out-freaking-standing!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)