Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky and Pike in brackish water

Message Subject: Musky and Pike in brackish water
Killerbug
Posted 8/27/2010 8:24 AM (#456941)
Subject: Musky and Pike in brackish water

In northern Europe we have a big population of pikes living in the Baltic sea, where the promille of salt is only around 7. The saltwater pikes grow to tremendous dimensions while feeding on herings, cod and garfish, and reaches 20 pound in just a few years.

Is there any cases of Musky or Pike in America that lives in brackish water?.

Edited by Killerbug 8/27/2010 8:25 AM
Cast
Posted 8/27/2010 8:35 AM (#456947 - in reply to #456941)
Subject: RE: Musky and Pike in brackish water

I'm no expert, but the closest I've heard of a muskie being caught near salty water was a fish caught in the St. Lawrence River at or near Quebec City. How salty is the water there? Really muskies seem to be an interior fish, native to the areas around the Great Lakes (Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario). (See how much geography I know.) Pike are not found east of the Connecticut River in the east. Whether they were native there or planted, I don't know. I know they are native to Lake Champlain. Much to the chagrin of trout guys, they have appeared in a few trout lakes in Maine. I don't know whether they appear in brackish water up by Hudson's Bay.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)