Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Converting trailer hubs to oil bath?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Converting trailer hubs to oil bath?
Chasin50
Posted 12/27/2010 6:38 AM (#472093 - in reply to #456233)
Subject: Re: Converting trailer hubs to oil bath?

I have the cool hubs on my ranger trailer. I ran them the first 4 years without changing the oil. There was no change in color or oil level. THen one started to get milky, so i tried getting the drain screw out to replace the oil and I couldn't budge it. So I took them in to the dealer. They talked me in to replacing all the seals and fluid. Cost me $300. Within weeks, all of them were off color, so I took it back. They talked to Ranger who said this was "normal". I had them write it on the receipt and told them i would be calling them for a flatbed if I had any trouble; even if I was out of state.

A year later, the fluid level started to drop in one, so i took them back to the dealer again. They talked me in to replacing all the seals and fluid again, said seals were leaking on 3... Crazy... I can run them for 4 years with no issue, now it becomes an annual repair??? I need to change dealers... In any case, i called Ranger and talked to them direct. As many have mentioned, they are designed to absorb a certain amount of water, which will cause the discoloration. He indicated that in their test labs, they run as much as 50% water and the run forever with no problems. So with that said, the only real "on the road" situation that could happen that would get you in trouble is that a seal fails and you lose all the fluid.

I run about 3000 miles per season, and knock on wood, no troubles on the road with this setup.

On the other hand, I ran grease in my previous trailer, and was about 5 hrs away from home and had the seal fail and had the bearings disintigrate. Almost lost the wheel. I had done annual repacking of these bearings. No explanation for the failure. Managed to cobble it back togather with a trip to Tractor Supply.

I guess my point is, there is no perfect system. Even with routine maint, you are still at risk. With either system, best thing to do is have the parts to do a repair on the road, and the know how to do it. IMOHO both do what they are designed to do, but have design limitations. Either system is a necessary evil...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)