Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Genesis trolling motors, garbage?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Genesis trolling motors, garbage?

Posted 8/19/2002 10:17 PM (#6025)
Subject: Genesis trolling motors, garbage?

This is five times since October that my Genesis has gone down. Fifteen hundred bucks is an awful expensive anchor. Has anybody else experienced alot of problems with this unit? It was replaced by Minnkota twice, repaired by an authorized service center and sent back to Minnkota once more to have the unit "completely upgraded" or so they say. Prior to the Genesis I never had a problem with my old powerdrive. NOw it's down again. I had the wife out with me SAturday and the darn thing deployed fine, then I lost all power in the unit. BAttery levels were fully charged.
All the other times it malfunctioned it would at least give me an error message. I had to remove it from the boat fully deployed. Do I accept another one or is it time to go back to a less complicated and more problem free unit? It would be an awesome unit if it worked, but what good are all the bells and whistles if the motor is malfunctioning all the time.[:knockout:]

Posted 8/20/2002 7:59 AM (#41993)

There was an overheating issue that I've heard has been fixed w/ the upgrade. You should be fine.

Posted 8/21/2002 11:44 AM (#41994)

tHEY DID UPGRADE IT AND IT'S NOT FINE. iT'S IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK FULLY DEPLOYED. iF ANYONE HAS HA A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE SHARE.

Posted 8/24/2002 8:36 PM (#41995)

I do give Minnkota credit. They do have good customer service. I have my third new Genesis on it's way to the house. Hopefully this one works.

Posted 1/15/2003 10:09 PM (#41996)

[:(] MY genesis malfuntioned three times on trips. After a veteran repair tech told me he works on them repeatedly I exchanged my Genesis for a maxxum. This unit is bulletproof. When someone makes a reliable auto stow unit I may buy one. I see that a lot noted magazine fisherman recommend the Genesis, they must bring a spare!

Posted 1/27/2003 11:21 AM (#41997)

This post is discouraging. I am seriously thinking about rigging my new boat with a Genesis, mainly due to the auto-trim feature.

Does anyone out there have good things to say about these motors?

Posted 1/27/2003 11:35 AM (#41998)

It took three units and a total of four returns to Minnkota to get the problem solved. The unit I have now has really been put to the test and I haven't had a problem (knock on wood)

Posted 1/28/2003 10:05 AM (#41999)

How old are the units everyone has had problems with? Is it possible that bugs have been worked out of the newer units? I won't be purchasing for another month or so.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)