Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

Frozen
Message Subject: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"
Hammskie
Posted 8/11/2010 8:30 AM (#454497 - in reply to #454493)
Subject: Re: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

All girth discussion aside, let's address the crux of this whole scenario.

Is it safe to assume that muskies hate it LESS when the angler is using the proper tools?

My request to all those targeting muskies is this: Bring up-to-date handling/release devices if you plan on catching one.

Here is a good example. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/08.13.2009/1775/Muskie.Relea...
BNelson
Posted 8/11/2010 9:03 AM (#454507 - in reply to #453399)

very nice example Hammskie, this shows that if you stopped to take a few pics the time out of water might end up being 35-45 seconds... one other thing you might want to consider is a small bungy cord to strap your net handle down so you don't have to stand/sit or hold it down...this strap is the one I use...works great
permanently mounted.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_1...

Edited by BNelson 8/11/2010 9:49 AM
Bytor
Posted 8/11/2010 9:44 AM (#454520 - in reply to #454507)

I rest the handle of my net on a seat and lock the seat down. This secures the net and frees me up to gather my tools etc.

It really makes it easy when you are fishing solo.
Herb_b
Posted 8/11/2010 11:20 AM (#454538 - in reply to #453399)

I just attach the net to one of the cleats on the side of the boat. Then I put the handle under one of the seats and it stays put. Fish are in the water safely in the bag. Allows me time to get everything set up and lets the fish recover.

The key is getting a big net with a deep enough of a bag.
Sam Sterner
Posted 8/17/2010 5:10 PM (#455599 - in reply to #453399)
Subject: RE: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

nice fish, nicer Wyoming gear you got on
Chasin50
Posted 8/19/2010 6:49 AM (#455783 - in reply to #454495)

BNelson - 8/11/2010 9:26 AM

this will illustrate how I girth fish...which really isn't very often... I have girthed a very small percentage of the fish in the boat..Here is a pic of a 53"er on the bumpboard which shows how I have girthed the fish..you can clearly see the girth tape (from rollie and helens) laying there ...this tape was put there before the fish was brought out of the net and placed on the bumpboard...this fish was girthed a hair under 23.5"......which is fat imo..as Lambeau pointed out girths in the 20-23 range are actually on the fat side of things...we got a 46 x 22 last fall that was simply a pork belly...but some would say "only 22" well if you saw the pic you would realize what a frickin porker it was.....girths of 24" + just aren't that common....even in the fall it takes a lot to get over 24"...

Over the years this topic has been discussed adnausium (sp)... Whenever I read these girth posts, I just sit an shake my head... And every time, BNelson says what I am thinking... Brad has clearly caught many larger fish and is in a credible position to voice his views. I personally think he represents reality...

I have had a few mid fifties and a 57 in my hands, which were all summer fish. I wanted to see something over 23/24 on the tape with each one of those. When I only saw 22 to 23.5, I was bummed... The 54.5 x 23 I got looks like a twin to the fish in the pic in Brads post. It is ONLY 23, but man did it look heavy and fat. Its a shame you can't be excited about a 23 inch girth because of so many posts where people state inaccurate girths. Its almost like if you aren't boasting about a 25 plus, your fish isn't worhty.

But as Brad said, look at an honest 23 inch gith, and you will see a beautiful and heavy fish. Someday, i want to fish water that produces 25+... For now, its just not real to me.
MARINE1
Posted 8/19/2010 9:41 PM (#455908 - in reply to #453399)
Subject: RE: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

You know it never eases to amaze me at how many people want to question a picture. I caught a fish earlier this summer and intentionally did not post because everyone would have questioned my measurements. you can only see 2 dimensions. You can't tell how think the back is and anyone that wants to disute that I say you're full of it. How about you just say nice fish and if you don't believe measurements call your buddy, tell your wife whatever. Who gives a poop? It's not being submitted for a world record and if a guy lies on the internet so freaking what? He's only lying to himself, so what? Get a life, get off the internet and go fishing for cripes sake!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)