Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> muskys staying on top after release

Message Subject: muskys staying on top after release
BILL
Posted 8/3/2010 9:01 AM (#453129 - in reply to #452676)
Subject: RE: muskys staying on top after release

I never said everyone, I said some people, not all...Never said I was the most ethical person or anything like that so stop making things up and jumping to conclusions since you have no facts to prove your point... I'm just stating the facts and maybe trying to educate a few people so they don't unintentionally kill muskies by not practicing proper care to help them survive. There's a lot (not all) of muskie fishermen who unintentionally kill muskies because they don't know or care about proper procedures of releasing the fish. If you want to keep fishing for muskies during the summer, then that's your business, but I don't because I don't want to take the chance of killing fish... Deeper water does not have much dissolved oxygen in summer months and also puts stress on the fish because the deeper the water the more pressure there is.... Shallow water with aquatic vegetation gives off a lot more oxygen which helps the muskie adjust and recover faster. Never said that releasing a muskie in deeper water will always kill a muskie but more times than not it will, especially if the water temp is 80 degrees or higher.

I'm not going to argue with you guys... I suggest you do your own research and believe what you want to.
I'm done.

-BILL
BILL
Posted 8/3/2010 9:04 AM (#453130 - in reply to #452676)

I never said everyone, I said some people, not all...Never said I was the most ethical person or anything like that so stop making things up and jumping to conclusions since you have no facts to prove your point... I'm just stating the facts and maybe trying to educate a few people so they don't unintentionally kill muskies by not practicing proper care to help them survive. There's a lot (not all) of muskie fishermen who unintentionally kill muskies because they don't know or care about proper procedures of releasing the fish. If you want to keep fishing for muskies during the summer, then that's your business, but I don't because I don't want to take the chance of killing fish... Deeper water does not have much dissolved oxygen in summer months and also puts stress on the fish because the deeper the water the more pressure there is.... Shallow water with aquatic vegetation gives off a lot more oxygen which helps the muskie adjust and recover faster. Never said that releasing a muskie in deeper water will always kill a muskie but more times than not it will, especially if the water temp is 80 degrees or higher.

I'm not going to argue with you guys... I suggest you do your own research and believe what you want to.
I'm done.

-BILL
BILL
Posted 8/3/2010 9:08 AM (#453132 - in reply to #452676)

jonnysled
Posted 8/3/2010 9:19 AM (#453135 - in reply to #452676)
Subject: Re: muskys staying on top after release

can you at least leave the ball Bill?
BILL
Posted 8/3/2010 9:19 AM (#453137 - in reply to #452676)

BILL
Posted 8/3/2010 9:35 AM (#453139 - in reply to #452676)

Yeah, you can have the ball, bat and glove, cause I'm done playing... Just trying to get my point across and some people think I'm trying to preach or lecture... Nope, I just love the sport and would like to see more trophy lakes, never said I was better than anyone or anything like that.

sworrall
Posted 8/3/2010 10:07 AM (#453145 - in reply to #452676)

Water temps, depths, and dissolved oxygen:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03334.htm

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/predicti...

http://pearl.maine.edu/windows/community/Water_Ed/Dissolved%20Oxyge...

On pressure, lactic acid, swimming, and swim bladder relationships:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swim_bladder

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/bruno08.htm

There are quite a few reference documents that will assist you in better understanding the relationship; some you may need to pay for or pay to join an association.
CiscoKid
Posted 8/3/2010 12:16 PM (#453175 - in reply to #452676)

Steve, those are some good links. I have been to most of them, but a couple not so thanks.

Another good source is: http://www.waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/08_dissolvedoxygen.h...

In general that Water on the Web site is a good one. Do the Lake Ecology from start to finish.

A few more thoughts. Yes deeper you go the more pressure there is. It has been mentioned the more water pressure there is the more stress there is. At what point is the pressure considered too much? What is considered too mush of a change in pressure? Here is the breakdown of water pressure from 0-30’. I have it in PSI since most people are familiar with that.

0’ (surface) – 14.6959 PSI (Atomospheric pressure)
5’ – 16.9178 PSI
10’ – 19.1396 PSI
15’ – 21.3614 PSI
20’ – 23.5833 PSI
25’ – 25.8051 PSI
30’ – 28.0269 PSI

So looking at that the pressure almost doubles at 30’. It was mentioned to release fish in 10’ or less because after 10’ the pressure is “more”. So is a change of 4.4437 PSI from 10’ to 20’ too much pressure now for the fish to overcome the additional stress of the pressure?

D.O. levels, and the reasoning on releasing in shallow water. Typically as depth increases D.O. levels decrease. The problem with this is every lake is unique, and has different factors at play affecting D.O. levels. Vegetation is one of them. While it does produce more oxygen, during the day, it is also removing oxygen when it is decaying. My question is if we were to take a D.O. meter in say 10’ of water, and full of weeds, would the D.O. be the same 1’ down as it would be on the bottom? If there is anything decaying in 10’ of water, does say the first foot of water on the bottom contain a lot less D.O. as a result of it? That I do not know. What is known is decaying matter in “deep” water removes oxygen, and often times why there is little D.O. below the thermocline. However on lakes that are Oligatrophic and early mesotrophic it is common to have plenty of D.O. levels below the thermocline to the lake bottom.

If every fish truly swam to the bottom when it was released then there could be an issue with pressure and D.O. levels in some lakes. However all fish do not swim to the bottom when released.

My interest would be in what the D.O. levels are in shallower water, and shallower water with vegetation. Also how those levels correspond to the D.O. levels of same depth out over deep water.
Will Schultz
Posted 8/3/2010 12:59 PM (#453190 - in reply to #453175)

CiscoKid - 8/3/2010 1:16 PM  My question is if we were to take a D.O. meter in say 10’ of water, and full of weeds, would the D.O. be the same 1’ down as it would be on the bottom? If there is anything decaying in 10’ of water, does say the first foot of water on the bottom contain a lot less D.O. as a result of it? That I do not know. What is known is decaying matter in “deep” water removes oxygen, and often times why there is little D.O. below the thermocline.

At night there will also be less oxygen in the under 10' weeds than there will be in deeper water. No sun, no photosynthesis, no oxygen and in fact oxygen is being removed.

CiscoKid
Posted 8/3/2010 1:46 PM (#453197 - in reply to #452676)

Will I didn’t mention that as I thought that was “common knowledge” based on a recent high water temp thread.

Another D.O. tidbit is this. In some waters with high water clarity the D.O. levels are actually higher as you go deeper…to a point. This is a result of light penetrating farther and thus algae within the water column producing more oxygen. With algae producing more oxygen and cooler waters being able to dissolve more of it we can get higher D.O. levels deep.

An excerpt from my link in above post, and here: http://www.waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/08_dissolvedoxygen.h...

“In oligotrophic lakes, low algal biomass allows deeper light penetration and less decomposition. Algae are able to grow relatively deeper in the water column and less oxygen is consumed by decomposition. The DO concentrations may therefore increase with depth below the thermocline where colder water is "carrying" higher DO leftover from spring mixing (recall that oxygen is more soluble in colder water). In extremely deep, unproductive lakes such as Crater Lake, OR, Lake Tahoe, CA/NV, and Lake Superior, DO may persist at high concentrations, near 100% saturation, throughout the water column all year.”
Will Schultz
Posted 8/3/2010 2:16 PM (#453204 - in reply to #453197)

CiscoKid - 8/3/2010 2:46 PM Will I didn’t mention that as I thought that was “common knowledge” based on a recent high water temp thread. 

I must have missed that thread. Anyway, that wasn't directed at you. I was just adding to your thoughts and when it might not be better for the fish to be shallow. The guest "Bill" insisted that it was never OK to release them deep, neglecting that there might be times when it really isn't OK/ better to release a fish in shallow water.

esox50
Posted 8/3/2010 3:46 PM (#453220 - in reply to #452676)

Hmmm, this thread has given me a good excuse to take the DO meter out and put some of these theories to test...
jakejusa
Posted 8/3/2010 4:10 PM (#453227 - in reply to #452676)

Original post Comment: A old Musky fisherman I knew would follow a fish that stayed on top and give it some time to orient. Then he would tap it on the back of the head with his rod tip and swoosh...gone. the other thing I saw him do is bring the fish in and give it slack letting the fish sit on the bottom & recoop still hooked up. He'd grab another rod and start casting. After 5 mins or so he'd raise the fish, unhook and she'd swim away. Almost 90% of his fish never ever came out of the water. I can't say leaving them hooked up is a good idea but i sure like not taking them out of the pond. You can get good pictures with the fish still in the water.
sean61s
Posted 8/13/2010 11:18 AM (#454992 - in reply to #452676)

I agree with the "shock" theory. I will follow the fish around for a while so that she doesnt get hit by a boat. If she stays up too long, I will give her a gentle slap near the tail, and she almost always reacts by swimming down to deeper water.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)