Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hughes River Baits

Message Subject: Hughes River Baits

Posted 8/13/2002 3:15 PM (#4103)
Subject: Hughes River Baits

I have a few of the original HR baits (not the drop belly Shaker) mixed in with my huge pile of 10" Cobbs that I've acquired over the last 10 years. Never understood what the "hype" was all about.

Well, in my search for a DEEP running glide bait (for when I simply need a change in scenery from my deep diving cranks) I finally "caved" and decided to TRY and buy me an 8" Hughes River Shaker to see what it may have to offer over the original "cigar" baits I already have. I am amazed that each of the retailers (Pastika's, Thorne Bros, Island Sports Shop, and Guides Choice) I called to inquire about a purchase each laughed and said that they have an order placed.... but not real sure if they will ever get it. This probably supports why Jim Wilson has the reputation he has become famous for. Oh yeah, just an FYI... the ONLY place that did have any in stock was Reed's and they only had black with REEDS written on it.

Now, I DO NOT want to have any personal comments about Jim and his business posted here..... however I would like to know just what is it about the HR's that makes them so difficult to find..... and fricken expensive????? In the past I've been quoted as saying that people are just buying a "pretty paint job"...... but is that really so?? If these baits supposedly catch more fish than the others..... (you guessed it)...... I wanna know WHY!

I'd like to hear from all the current owners of HR Shakers to find out exactly WHAT these baits do that is so "special". Just what is the difference between the Shaker and the other good glide baits (blitzen shad, slidin' shad, cobbs crazy shad, phantom, amma bamma, etc.)??

I'd buy one to find out for myself.... but obviously that is not an easy task.[:halo:] Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Posted 8/13/2002 3:31 PM (#41543)

Jason,

I broke down, and ordered one from Reese's Country store. So far I am not to impressed, but I have only thrown it a few times. I like the action on Phantoms a little more, but I will keep this one for now. I think the only reason Reese's gets their is because Jim Wilson is just down the street. The guy I talked to at Reese's said, Jim was going to drop off an order within the next couple days when I talked to him. I have heard that they are great, so I will see what the fall bite will produce with an 8" Red and White Holoform shaker. Otherwise I will use it for trade when I decide to get rid of it.

Lance

Posted 8/13/2002 3:32 PM (#41544)

Man-o-man I can see this thread deteriorating quickly. Let me be the first of many to say I don't condone his business tactics or more acurately his lack of good business acumen. I was one of the many who waited more then a year and had to threaten him to get a recent order.

I have had a few for a couple years and will say that when others have had nothing moving, the Shaker has put fish in the boat. Yes they are very similar to other baits but they are not the same IMHO. Of course I paid $34 and $39 for mine, not $50+. I'm not sure I'd pay $50 for them. What is really different then the paint? I'd say that it does the best job of a simultaneous combination of slow glide and belly roll. It is also the best ballenced of the glide baits I have had the opportunity to throw.

Posted 8/13/2002 3:40 PM (#41545)

I have about 10 of the shakers in various colors,a couple in 6" and the rest 8".your right the paint jobs are superb,they run right out of the box ,(never had to tune one)even after being mauled.I think the shakers success ratio has to do with its great belly roll and flash with the longest glide of any glide baits out there.It can be worked as fast or as slow as you want,or as deep as you want. As far as price ,well its getting high ,but you know this bait will do what it says it will do with no fiddling with it .What pattern would you like I might just part with one if I have it The only one thats off limits is my irridesant blue perch ARTIE

Posted 8/13/2002 4:29 PM (#41546)

Call Reeses...yes I swear by HRs as my #1 glide bait, but it's NOT the magic bait...there is no magic bait. But I fish'em DEEP and SLOW, and they put fish in the boat, most gliders won't stay down where they will. And for the usual side to side with roll at normal depths, I do think its better than the usual glider right out of the box, longer glide, more belly roll, and lots of pretty paint jobs. Is it worth the $$$? Thats for you to decide...

Slamr

Posted 8/13/2002 4:42 PM (#41547)

I just got some this year because I also wanted to see what the hype was about. I am a big fan of Jack Cobbs lures so I wanted to do a comparison.
I got mine from Pastikas. They called me when their order came in so I didn't have to deal directly with the manufacturer. They had them for less than $40, so I bit.
I've only thrown them on one fishing trip, and so far I am impressed.
The paint job is impressive. The weighting is done so the lure sinks at a nice rate and it remains level during the retrieve and at rest.
Both the 6" and 8" have a real nice belly flash and roll. Better than the Cobbs that I use.
I removed the middle hook from the 6"ers because it got tangled with the back hook more times than I liked.
They are easy to use. Not tiring at all, but that is the norm with most quality glide baits nowdays.
I'll still throw the hell out of my Cobbs, because they are my tried and true favorite, but the HR's will definitely see alot of action this year. I have a feeling that the 8"ers will be good producers during the upcoming fall.
So all personal feelings aside, I'd say that they are an excellent lure.
Are they worth twice as much as a Cobbs Crazy Shad? Let's just say that if I had $40 to spend, I'd buy 2 Cobbs first.
Do I regret buying them? Hell no. I look at muskie lures like investments anyway. They'll still be around catching fish when I'm worm bedding.
I'm sure there will be people bashing HR just because of Jim Wilson, but I never dealt with him. So from a completely unbiased standpoint, I'd say go and buy one or two if you can afford to, you won't regret it.
Beav

Posted 8/13/2002 5:12 PM (#41548)

Jason
the 8 inch shakers I have you have to slam hard to glide with the result kind of a delayed jump which looks very erratic,its not a imediate respose to your rod tip jerk but delayed reaction making it look awesome, I guess because its so heavy and it stays deep,,I cant really do it justice,,,Do you want me to send you one of mine for a trial and then you can send it back

Posted 8/13/2002 5:31 PM (#41549)

A what for how much!? Just talked to the wife, maybe for x-mas. (it's always early when it comes to fishing[:bigsmile:]) Can anyone post a pic of one so I know what I'm looking for other than by name?
Actually, for some of us newbes, some pics of all these lures we here about wouldn't be a bad idea.

Posted 8/13/2002 5:36 PM (#41550)

I in no way endorse the use of Hughes River or it's owner Jim Wilson.

But if you'd like to what they are visit..

www.hughesrivercustombaits.com

Posted 8/13/2002 5:39 PM (#41551)

Hey ANON...do I smell stupidity? Jlong says: the ONLY place that did have any in stock was Reed's.....and I write Reese's has them....and you think that means I get a kickback? Jlong was looking for one, I told him where to get one. Next time something like this is asked by a contributing member who at least has the guts to write his name I'll make sure NOT to help. By the way....since you are man enough to rip, are you man enough to identify yourself?

Andrew "Slamr" Golden
[email protected]
847/989-9271

Posted 8/13/2002 7:32 PM (#41552)

Steve and the Gang....I just got up off the ffloor from laughing./ I ent to the Hughes River site...DO YOU HEAR WHAT SONG IS PLAYING????????...YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!!!

STILL KILLING ME

Posted 8/13/2002 10:17 PM (#41553)

Terry,

Here's a pic. I called Reese's about 3 wks ago and got these two HR's, an 8" Hughey in the "Reese's" color, and an 8" Shaker in Rock Bass. They've never been in the water yet, but I'm heading to Hayward area in about 10 days. Will let ya know if they work [:0]

Hopefully, you'll get an early Christmas present!

Posted 8/13/2002 10:24 PM (#41554)

Sorry, man. Uploads are not working correctly. I'll keep trying.

Posted 8/13/2002 11:01 PM (#41555)

maybe...

Posted 8/13/2002 11:08 PM (#41556)

Sorry Terry. Can't get it to work with any file size. E-mail me if you like and I'll send it to ya!

Posted 8/14/2002 8:13 AM (#41557)

Controversy aside - I love the Hughsies- One of the most difficult actions for a bait to acheive is an erractic and productive action at depth. The "8 inch shakers have a beautiful injured fish action that is consistent with every bait produced.The "level" pause between pulls is an awesome tigger . I could care less about the paint job.My client threw one yesterday that has almost no paint on it, is chipped up, and has over 50 muskies to its credit. We threw every thing in the box for 7 hours on the Gile flowage yesterday . After 6 casts with the Hughsy a 46" 22lb. just annihilated it. It produces fish and thats the bottom line.

Price is one thing- but Value is another concept. He has the right to charge whatever he wants for the bait.Its called the free market.

Slamr is right - Magic baits dont exist now nor will they in the future ,but this is one of the good ones for sure. Personally its one of the best VALUES ive found in muskie baits- considering what it has produced over 3 years.

Posted 8/14/2002 8:44 AM (#41558)

Hey guys, thanks for the great feedback (and sticking to the subject without bashing).

What I gather so far is that the HR Shaker has perfected the ability to run deep, has a unique belly roll/flash, keeps its horizontal balance at all times, is consistent from purchase to purchase, and can really take a beating and still perform (good investment).

So, it looks to me that the ONLY thing it truly has to offer over other lures is the ability to easily maintain depth..... which just so happens to be what I am looking for. Looks like my buck knife will be coming out soon and I will have to carve me up a few custom Jlong HR's in the basement before fall (since I can probably make one faster than I can go out and buy one).

Thanks again for sharing your experience with how this lure performs. I now have a crude pattern for me to follow with my basement creations.

Posted 8/14/2002 8:53 AM (#41559)

Yeah, like we're supposed to believe that your office job pays for your fishing habit? Yeah, right. There's some kind of connection there. In fact, I saw Slamr walk into a phone booth, and 30 seconds later, I saw Reese walk out. Coincidence? I think not. Unmask yourself, Slamr!

----------------
On 8/13/2002 5:39:31 PM

Hey ANON...do I smell stupidity? Jlong says: the ONLY place that did have any in stock was Reed's.....and I write Reese's has them....and you think that means I get a kickback?
Andrew "Slamr" Golden
[email protected]
847/989-9271
----------------

Posted 8/14/2002 9:58 AM (#41560)

CMunger,
In all fairness, Pastikas, Thorne Bros and Reeses all carry the Hughes River. Yes, because of a personal friendship and geographic proximity, Reese's will usually have a better selection of HRs and more often. And yes, the prices are higher. Want to know my kickbacks from these places? Read below, I'm sure you have seen these before, and are finding ways to lend help wherever and however you can.

Pastikas (http://www.pastikas.com) in the Hayward area has just blown me away by their generosity! They have offered to contribute:
4 Billy Finn Bucktails
10" Hughes River Shaker in Flourescent Orange Okoboji Perch
A BRAND NEW NOT RELEASED YET TO THE PUBLIC Eddie Bait Flap Tail
6 HunterTails bucktails (they are no longer made, but if you have a chance at these tails, you WONT be disappointed!)
Pastikas has been more than generous with these offerings, make sure to check out their website, but for some more info....Pastika's Sport Shop has been in business since 1921, making it Hayward's oldest and most popular Bait and Tackle Store. Dedicated to bringing our customers the very best selection tackle available, they not only offer the muskie crazy the chance to walk into the shop, but their on-line catalog gives a great viewing of a large selection of offerings to the lunge!
Check them out, they've got a great website, and more than a few hard-to-find baits!

A little less known name in the Muskie world, Reese's Country Store (the main retailer for the Hughes River Product Line) has donated a 10" Hughes River Shaker....not just any bait, but a black/mother of pearl collector series! A total of 8 of these baits were made, and this is numbered 5 of 8, and is dated 6-1-02. If you are interested in getting a Hughes River bait, call Roger Park at Reese's at 304-679-3502, he's probably got the most at any one time....

Andrew "Slamr" Golden
847/989-9271
[email protected]
*Cmunger if you need to find new ways to help with the Auction, there are a lot of things I would love to do to further the cause, but yes, I have an office job, and it does take most of my time. So, give me a call, we'll find somethings for you to do to help! Thanks!!!

Posted 8/14/2002 11:39 AM (#41561)

This is a subject that has gone "SOUTH" before and it looks like its heading that way. Slamr is not endorsing, just informing, the same thing I do when Smokey's gets a new bait in and everyone is looking for it.

Please go back to jlong question.

Thanks![;)] [:)]

Posted 8/14/2002 11:43 AM (#41562)

Aha, plugging Thorne Bros and Pastikas now, too. Absolutely shameless. [:bigsmile:] I think that anonymous joker underestimated the little cottage inductry you are building for yourself. Just a second while I plug a Ferrari dealership (Hey, a guy can dream).

In all seriousness, I was just tossing a bit of stinkpowder on anonymous's fire, but I do hope to get in on the auction from a bidders perspective. I'm a crappy salesperson, worse fisherman, but by god, if I can buy a little something to help the kid out, I will. [:bigsmile:]

Posted 8/18/2002 6:10 PM (#41563)

They are great baits and they just plain work. The 8" shaker you can jerk it like a suick if you want to and it will come forwrard and then glide. You cannot do that with any other glide bait. They are weighted completely different than any other glider as well.

Another cigar glider that stays relatively deep is made by widowmaker lures. I forget the name, it's not the t-bone or the deadhead but I know Tony Grant sells them.

Posted 8/19/2002 8:49 AM (#41564)

Just a heads up on the issue....there are TWO 10" Shakers on the auction block for Tuesday night: one donated from Pastikas, one from Reese's in WV.

Slamr

Posted 10/5/2002 8:01 PM (#41565)

Why, what's up? I kinda like the bait myself. Are they pouchers or something.

Posted 10/5/2002 8:45 PM (#41566)

Who is supporting what? Me telling people where to find something that they are looking for is supporting? Giving some credit and maybe a little business to people who have made sizeable donations for a cause that I and we as a whole at MuskieFirst have support?
IF YOU DON'T LIKE HUGHES RIVER JERKBAITS, DON'T BUY THEM, THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER JERKBAIT MAKERS OUT THERE! IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH JIM WILSON, PLEASE TAKE IT UP WITH HIM, NOT WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC HERE. THOUGH HE ALMOST NEVER ANSWERS HIS PHONE, AND IS HARD TO GET TO CALL YOU BACK (he would even admit that this is an understatement) HIS PHONE NUMBER IS ON HIS WEBSITE. IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO LEAVE A RESONABLE MESSAGE ON HIS ANSWERING MACHINE, YOU HAVE A GREATER CHANCE OF HIM CALLING YOU BACK.
Like Jim Wilson or not, use Hughes River Jerkbaits or not, in the end they do glide and work in the water as advertised. I catch fish on them, so do other people. Some people catch more on Phantoms or Pigs. What can I say?

Slamr
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)