Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wrist Pain help

Message Subject: Wrist Pain help
Slow Rollin
Posted 7/8/2010 1:57 PM (#449036)
Subject: Wrist Pain help

i have some bad wrist pain from left wrist (the wrist i hold my rod with). mostly from working jerk baits and pulling bull dogs. and i suppose from the pull from cowbells too. anyone ever have wrist pain too from fishing and have any suggestions or things they did to help. any suggestions would be great (treatments, different rod positions, etc would helpful) thanks
sworrall
Posted 7/8/2010 2:00 PM (#449038 - in reply to #449036)
Subject: Re: Wrist Pain help

I wear an elastic wrist 'glove' style brace if I'm going to be on water all day or throwing double 10s. About $6 at Walgreens, and a day saver for sure. Also, balance you rods, huge difference.
jonnysled
Posted 7/8/2010 2:04 PM (#449039 - in reply to #449036)

train yourself to hold the foregrip of your rod. palming a reel will make your wrist ache and eventually do damage and cause chronic problems if you continue especially if you fish a lot. the uncomfortable part going to the foregrip will go away soon and quickly become habit. i assume a reel palm by your description. ergonomics and musky fishing are important and can ease a lot of tension aches and pains if you develop some simple habits. it's especially important now with longer rods and larger reels. also, learn to cast left-handed if you don't already to reduce the amount of movements you make on each cast. rod up, cast with left hand on the foregrip and then underneath the arm in one smooth reduced motion motion.

Posted 7/8/2010 2:17 PM (#449040 - in reply to #449036)
Subject: RE: Wrist Pain help

I've been having a lot of wrist pain this year also in my right wrist - I use left handed reels. I think most of it has come from working those darn weagles and the little bit I throw dbl 10's.
I may have to try a brace like Steve mentioned but man, I'm only 27 yrs old.
I have tried to use the foregrip and it feels foreign. I suppose with practice it would start to feel more natural.
For those that use the foregrip, do you still work WTD baits holding onto the foregrip? I would think you may not have the feel or control like you do when palming a reel.
Slow Rollin
Posted 7/8/2010 2:24 PM (#449043 - in reply to #449036)

i have started to cast lefty too instead of righty....probably need to completely switch to a left handed reel and try the other wrist. this all started when i switched over to longer rods and bigger reels to take the pounding, before w/ the smaller rods and reels i had no problems......maybe need to downsize on equipment too.

Edited by Slow Rollin 7/8/2010 2:27 PM
Posted 7/8/2010 2:31 PM (#449045 - in reply to #449036)

For me, I honestly think it was all the snapping of the rod when working topwater WTDs (for which I've had about 10 strikes, 2 fish ON, and none in the bag.) Ughhh... very frustrating year for me so far, last thing I need is my wrist to hurt when I go out.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/8/2010 2:47 PM (#449050 - in reply to #449036)

I fish both left and right handed, and I hold the foregrip. That's gotten me a long way to be able to fish all day long with little or no pain. I can throw cowgirls all day. After 3 or 4 days straight I start having some back pain, but I'm 40 -- I expect a few aches and pains along the way. Most important thing is to expend the least effort required, and relax. When I started out, EVERYTHING hurt. It was mostly due to unnecessary effort on my part, using my arms and shoulders and back to cast, death grip on the reel... It's not nearly as much effort as we make it sometimes. Just a quick flip of the rod gets you as much distance as the cast where you're throwing the lure as hard as you can, for example. Being all tense in anticipation of a fish, or during your figure 8's takes a lot out of you as well.

Another tip: Eat. Eat a good breakfast. Bring protein and carbs on the boat. And stay hydrated. And don;t drink like an idiot the night before. I used to fish hung over on four hours of sleep and not eat or drink all day. By 4:00, I was finished, and everything hurt. Now? Well, a 12 hour day still kicks my butt a little, but I'm good to go in the morning.

muskie! nut
Posted 7/8/2010 2:57 PM (#449051 - in reply to #449036)

Holding the foregrip and using you elbow to work the rod - not your wrist will help a lot. When I 1st started throwing jakpots for an entiire weekend this had happened to me. I started using my elbow and that took care of it.
Posted 7/8/2010 5:14 PM (#449079 - in reply to #449036)

I switch from right to left. I also foregrip the heavier baits. The type of reels you use help as well.

Given the size of your hands I would think you would have little problem.

Angler II
Posted 7/8/2010 5:39 PM (#449085 - in reply to #449036)

I broke my left wrist three years ago. 8 pins and one plate later they had it fixed up. It hurts like hell after every outing. I'm thinking the brace could be the way to go.
Cast
Posted 7/8/2010 7:48 PM (#449107 - in reply to #449036)

First, rest the wrist. Don't aggravate the injury. It will mend on its own, probably. Then work it back to strength gradually.
Windburn
Posted 7/8/2010 8:00 PM (#449110 - in reply to #449036)

Try a relaxed grip, not a death grip that we normally have on the rod. It helps me along with switching to the foregrip hold after a couple of hours.
Posted 7/8/2010 9:26 PM (#449122 - in reply to #449036)

are you still able to get a solid hook set with the foregrip hold?
Posted 7/8/2010 9:38 PM (#449124 - in reply to #449036)

Rest it, Troll if you really want to get out on the water (if that's legal where you fish)
Slow Rollin
Posted 7/8/2010 9:43 PM (#449125 - in reply to #449124)

Guest - 7/8/2010 9:38 PM

Rest it, Troll if you really want to get out on the water (if that's legal where you fish)

yep, been trolling more w/ fairly poor results, but really helps the wrist problem
tuffy1
Posted 7/9/2010 6:22 AM (#449149 - in reply to #449125)

I agree on using the foregrip when you can. Throwing dble 10s, ripping big plastic, and ripping big minnow baits wears on ya. With those types of baits, I'm holding the foregrip now and haven't had any wrist pain since I started going that route. When I was palming the reel with those types of baits, I was hurt'n quite a bit.

I haven't noticed any difference in my hooksets holding the foregrip as far as missing fish. Seem to get more power with those types of baits when hooking fish that way.
muskydope
Posted 7/9/2010 7:14 AM (#449155 - in reply to #449036)

Posture and stance help as well, stand up straight, don't hunch. Also I've found that holding the rod with the handle sort of like it was pinned in one of your belt loops helps, I hold the rod that way, in tight, keeping the rear portion of the handle somewhat hinged at my waist and using my elbow as more of a fulcrum than my wrist. If I'm working the topwater wtd heavily, my elbow will start to get sore after a few days, a brace really helps there. I have arthritis in both wrists so I figured this little trick out a few years back. A plus is, if your working a bait with a cadence you can really get a good rythm going.
Rick W
Posted 7/9/2010 8:32 AM (#449171 - in reply to #449036)

When I first started this type of fishing, about 15 years ago, I too had wrist pain. I would go through alot of Ibprofen, tried a wrist brace, but as I began to work out more at the gym, especially wrist and arm curls and I no longer have pain. Not only straightening the muscles and the tendons, I feel is the main thing. By the way I am 62 years old and I can cast many hours in the day and DBL 10's are no problem, I am not Charley Atlas, but being in the "right" shape for the sport sure helps...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life", Dean Vernon Wormer
welldriller
Posted 7/9/2010 10:40 AM (#449186 - in reply to #449036)

I also had a lot of wrist pain from palming the reels. But, I just can't fish holding onto the foregrip. I finally went to the doctor about it last winter. It ends up I had a broken alterior ulna, a broken tendon, and a ganglion cyst. I now have a 6" steel plate in my arm with 7 screws, and a patched ligament. It's getting better, but I know I am losing fish because I don't have as much power on the hooksets as I used to.
AJ
Posted 7/9/2010 11:47 AM (#449201 - in reply to #449036)

I had major issues with my wrist. I moved to a smaller reel (think 250 Calcutta or 5500 Garcia) and they all but went away. No drop in performance in fighting fish or working in baits. All the other comments about managing effort, posture, figure 8 technique, etc will also help. Lastly, I used one of those rubber balls/rings that rock climbers use to improve grip strength. I found that helped too.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 7/10/2010 12:13 AM (#449293 - in reply to #449036)

It got so bad for me that surgery was the only option. Had the sheaths around the tendons removed in fives places so the tendons could still move when the swell up from use and abuse. Can't say that Muskie fishing was 100% to blame (Maybe 98.2%). right index finger one year, followed by the left wrist and left index finger the next, right wrist and right little finger the year after that. It's been 3 years now without any cutting on me, but I think the left ring and little finger are going to go in for repairs soon. If I make a tight fist those two won't open up without help from the right hand and a lot of swearing. Doc said I should stop fishing, I asked for a second opinion. My fishing buddies told me to put down my purse

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2911.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2919.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2911.JPG (48KB - 142 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2919.JPG (65KB - 151 downloads)
Hunter4
Posted 7/10/2010 7:15 AM (#449303 - in reply to #449293)

When I fish in Canada. Its always a long day. I like Jeff (Esox Addict) am in my 40's. 44 to be exact. My wrists would be screaming bloody murder. I ended up with Cortizone shots in both. That helped a lot. The doctor had some great advice and it really goes along the same line that Jeff ( Esox Addict) wrote. First start off with some Advil or Aleve taken with a good breakfast. Big on protein and carbohydrates. The next thing was a little bit of head scratcher for me. He said drinking tons of fluids would keep things well lubricated. But of course nothing good to drink like beer and pop. But water and juice. For me the pop thing was hard. Daddy likes his pop. But the pain was bad and I really wanted to try and do something here. I followed this doctors order to the letter. Not only are my wrist still pain free after a year from having my Cortizone shots but I've lost #*^@ near 40 pounds from cutting out the pop and beer. Its made fishing enjoyable again. With eating breakfast in the morning Which usually consists of anything I can shove in my mouth. I have noticed I've got a ton more energy towards the end of the day and I'm not eating like a horse when I get back to the cabin.

I hope you guys can get this wrist thing fixed. I'm not the toughest man in the world. But I wouldn't consider myself a big baby either. Some mornings my wrists would hurt so bad I just didn't know what to do. This regime has helped me a lot.

Good Luck,

Dave

Edited by Hunter4 7/10/2010 7:17 AM
Posted 7/10/2010 1:50 PM (#449334 - in reply to #449036)

hey guys,
As an old bugger who's been tossing big lures and pulling on fish for a long, long, time I can relate to your pain. I had a period when I couldn't even pick up a toothbrush.
The muscles that operate when fishing are your forearm flexors and extensors.
After much abuse adhesions often develop with effectively shorten those muscles, which are manifested in either carpal tunnel syndrome or pain near the elbow (golfers elbow and tennis elbow).
A chiropractic technique called "active release therepy" is designed to break down those adhesions and it cured me, along with a regular regimen of very specific stretches for those muscles which I do every day when not fishing, prior to fishing and during fishing. A topical transdermal compound called Speed Gel, available in both a homeopathic form and in prescription form is a huge help as well. It delivers anti-inflamatories directly to the spot without distributing it all over your body. A couple of drops on the right spot and it will deliver more medicine to the problem area than if you ate a half a bottle of ibuprofen.
I invented the Balancer to help mitigate the problem, and it helps a great deal but is not a cure by any means.
When longer rods and heavier, harder pulling lures came on the scene I predicted there would be a rash of this problem with musky guys and it certainly has come true!
Hope this helps! Have a great musky season!
Larry Dahlberg
Ranger
Posted 7/10/2010 7:02 PM (#449345 - in reply to #449036)

Years ago I posted an off-season excercise program that is sure to eliminate your issues. Do the serach thing.
Grass
Posted 7/13/2010 12:11 PM (#449694 - in reply to #449036)

Hold the fore grip instead of palming the reel. It will not take more that a few hrs of casting to get used to it. It is a much stronger grip than palming the reel, you have more hookset power and the pain will go away.
northern
Posted 7/13/2010 1:14 PM (#449705 - in reply to #449036)

I work the rod more with my underarm and a more or less stiff wrist i also make use off my schoulder to use different muscle groups. WTD and gliders kan sometimes work well with the main power coming out of the reel turn and a littke twitch with the forearm. Learned this from a musky guide in Canada during an 8 day trip.
Worked oke, but the burn from casting 8 days in a row stil comes. I'll try trowing with the other hand, when nobody is arround ^-
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)