Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling Motor

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling Motor
MuskieMike
Posted 7/6/2010 3:54 PM (#448757)
Subject: Trolling Motor

I have a question about Trolling motors. My friend has a Wireless Motor Guide on his 2007 1760. It is on it's second set of batteries, these are less than a year old. Even when charged to what the charger says is "Full". It seems to only have half power? Any ideas as to what could cause that?
Tim Kelly
Posted 7/6/2010 11:32 PM (#448809 - in reply to #448757)
Subject: Re: Trolling Motor

If it's a 24v motor and the wiring is wrong the motor might only be getting 12v? Check the wiring at the plug receptical with a multi meter.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 7/7/2010 10:16 PM (#448958 - in reply to #448809)
Subject: Re: Trolling Motor

Tim Kelly - 7/7/2010 12:32 AM

If it's a 24v motor and the wiring is wrong the motor might only be getting 12v? Check the wiring at the plug receptical with a multi meter.

That sounds about right. I just switched from a 12v to a 24v and had to rewire. Trying it at 12v, a 65lb thrust was actually putting out less than my older 30lb. Your battery cables should run like this: Pos on battery #1 to Neg on battery #2 using a jump cable. Neg from trolling motor to battery #1, Pos from trolling motor to battery #2. If you have the batteries run in parrallel, with the terminals hooked up to only one of the batteries (12v), the gauge might say "fully charged". But that's just 1 battery. The uncharged battery is then sucking juice off the fully charged one even as the motor is going.
MuskieMike
Posted 7/7/2010 11:06 PM (#448963 - in reply to #448757)
Subject: RE: Trolling Motor

It's kind of wierd. After looking into it further, the Marinco 24 V Trolling Motor plug, actually jumps the 2 batteries together in the plug. So the batteries are actually wired parrallel. A volt meter is much needed in this situation to test both the Toliing motor plug, and the plug in the boat to make sure it is all set up correctly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)