Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Catch & Release DOESN'T work???

Message Subject: Catch & Release DOESN'T work???
Posted 6/14/2010 12:46 PM (#445428)
Subject: Catch & Release DOESN'T work???

Please read and comment on the Star Tribune website:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/blogs/96226054.html

Steve Jonesi
Posted 6/14/2010 1:02 PM (#445435 - in reply to #445428)
Subject: Re: Catch & Release DOESN'T work???

.....and crack doesn't smoke itself.
Anonymous
Posted 6/14/2010 1:17 PM (#445439 - in reply to #445428)
Subject: RE: Catch & Release DOESN'T work???

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=58...
CPR does not work. Just look at the tiger CPR thread. It's a hoax.
mstranglr2
Posted 6/14/2010 1:25 PM (#445440 - in reply to #445428)

If that was the case, I guess the DNR kills every fish that they tag. Give me a break. What a joke
Herb_b
Posted 6/14/2010 1:30 PM (#445443 - in reply to #445428)

Yeah, the idea that release doesn't work is nonsense. The guy who wrote it sounds like a "kill everything" type like the dark house people who seem to believe that the only good fish is a dead one.

There is some truth in the study though. Logic and experience indicate that keeping the fish out of the water for a very short time or not taking it out at all will greatly increase a fishes chances of survival.

But there will always be some who try to justify killing every fish and taking it home to eat. Unfortunately, that is what this guy sounds like.

Edited by Herb_b 6/14/2010 1:35 PM
JRedig
Posted 6/14/2010 1:43 PM (#445446 - in reply to #445428)

Did you guys even read the article? From most of the comments here, i'd say not....

He's not saying C&R doesn't work, he's saying that C&R of fish kept out of the water too long doesn't work. Not exactly the dumbest thing i've ever heard, he makes a great analogy about running a marathon which i've read on here repeatedly.
Anonymous
Posted 6/14/2010 2:08 PM (#445450 - in reply to #445428)

From a musky fishing standpoint, most fish are in the net within 30 seconds. This by no means is playing out the fish. That is one of the main advantages of super braids these days. Now, catching a musky on 4 lb test while panfishing and actually landing the fish would require the angler to play out the fish and in this case, will most likely die. But for the author to make generalizations about practicing CPR, he's an idiot.
I feel it is very irresponsible that the Star Tribune would even print this article.

Edited by Anonymous 6/14/2010 2:11 PM
john skarie
Posted 6/14/2010 3:16 PM (#445460 - in reply to #445428)

Most fish are in the net in 30 seconds? Not for most anglers.

The biggest mistake this guy makes is assuming that what happens with trout happens with every other fish as well.

Trout aren't muskie, bass or bullheads. They aren't the toughest fish out there by any means. To take the findings of one particular study and declare it the gospel shows a big lack of understanding of science and the ablility to read a study and put it's conclusions into perspective.

But the point of fish being out of water is something that the majority of muskie anglers tend to ignore.
I see more anglers with fish out of the water for an "extended" period of time than not.

JS
raftman
Posted 6/14/2010 3:19 PM (#445462 - in reply to #445428)

Seems like a rant from a bitter, old-timer w/ an agenda. To the C&R angler, one can certainly read and understand the point of a played out fish being held for a photo for an extended time and the increased risk of delayed mortality. To the average joe who doesn't have much of an interest in fishing, it reflects very poorly on fishing as a whole. What happened to that dandy walleye you released? It probably died. PETA couldn't even have done a better job of taking that one study and planting a negative seed in the head of the general public.

Edited by raftman 6/14/2010 3:22 PM
dtaijo174
Posted 6/14/2010 4:00 PM (#445472 - in reply to #445440)

mstranglr2 - 6/14/2010 1:25 PM

If that was the case, I guess the DNR kills every fish that they tag. Give me a break. What a joke

Now that's a good point.
Muskiefool
Posted 6/14/2010 4:46 PM (#445483 - in reply to #445428)

Trout are very sensitive especially the larger fish.
JRedig
Posted 6/14/2010 4:48 PM (#445485 - in reply to #445472)

dtaijo174 - 6/14/2010 4:00 PM

mstranglr2 - 6/14/2010 1:25 PM

Now that's a good point.

Didn't read the article huh?

Edited by JRedig 6/14/2010 4:50 PM
HuskieMuskie
Posted 6/14/2010 7:15 PM (#445521 - in reply to #445428)

C&R does work. Grad student Sean Landsman, from Carleton University in Ottawa, is on year two of a MUSKIE C&R study. Last year, with help from some local anglers, he caught, tagged and released 30 muskies. These fish were tracked until ice up. They all survived. Read more about Sean and the study at:

http://projectnoblebeast.blogspot.com/

Don't have to tell you how important this study will be.

Bill
sworrall
Posted 6/14/2010 8:01 PM (#445536 - in reply to #445428)

Seriously uninformed. He needs to stick to liking dogs and mentoring kids to like dogs, and leave us conservation minded CPR guys to our blind, unfettered faith.

If that Canadian study had been done on bluegills...
Posted 6/14/2010 9:27 PM (#445552 - in reply to #445536)

sworrall - 6/14/2010 8:01 PM
If that Canadian study had been done on bluegills...

Then what????
CM_IA
Posted 6/14/2010 9:30 PM (#445553 - in reply to #445428)

The article said played out trout were sampled. If he wants to say that if an angler plays a delicate fish species to exhaustion, then holds it out of the water for a while and then releases it, it is probably going to die, let him because he is right. But to generalize that to fishing for all species is nonsense, and to tournaments? If he's writing about pro bass tourneys none of the bass are played out, they are almost all caught 10 feet from the boat on muskie gear, but the boat could be brutal. I think that the recovery of lakes like Eagle for walleyes is enough proof that catch and release fishing helps fish populations.
sworrall
Posted 6/14/2010 10:40 PM (#445567 - in reply to #445428)

Guest,
Seriously?
IAJustin
Posted 6/14/2010 10:51 PM (#445568 - in reply to #445567)

almost every fish I catch in Iowa has been caught before (hook scars) - just caught a fish this weekend I know I caught last year (deformed mouth). I would say about 90% (or higher) of muskies caught and that are properly handled live even with 30-60 seconds for a pic....
bturg
Posted 6/14/2010 11:27 PM (#445572 - in reply to #445428)

The world is right side up again, power of the pen..............

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/blogs/96352279.html?elr=...
esox50
Posted 6/15/2010 7:58 AM (#445597 - in reply to #445428)

Normally I would stay out of conversations such as these. However, I felt it necessary to let the public know what some of the methodologies were that the study in question used and the purpose of the study, which was not to tell anglers that the fish you catch likely die from air exposure as was implied by Klein.

http://projectnoblebeast.blogspot.com/2010/06/catch-and-release-to-...
Kuhly
Posted 6/15/2010 4:55 PM (#445725 - in reply to #445428)

Good points by sworrall and raftman! The results of not reading the fine print.
Lens Creep
Posted 6/15/2010 7:06 PM (#445756 - in reply to #445428)

"Grad student Sean Landsman, from Carleton University in Ottawa, is on year two of a MUSKIE C&R study. Last year, with help from some local anglers, he caught, tagged and released 30 muskies. These fish were tracked until ice up. They all survived".

While I'm sure this is true, Sean is not the "target market" the catch & release philosophy needs to be geared to. This practice needs to get out to weekend anglers and those fishing for other species who happen to catch a muskie in the process. I suspect very few fish caught by anglers who frequent this message board die from delayed mortality, but I know some do.

I once saw a guy catch a mid-30 inch muskie and take 10 minutes removing the hook from it's mouth while the fish was lying on the boat carpet. After finally removing the hook, he AND the two other guys he was fishing with all had a picture taken with the fish before releasing it. I doubt that person is even aware of this or any other muskie message board, not to mention the correct technique and practice of catch & release. That is an example of who needs to be educated. I wonder how many anglers of this type read the Trib and have only that as their source of information instead of muskie periodicals and forums such as this? If the newspaper is their only source of information, we need to do all we can to be sure the proper message is getting out. Good fishing all.
gregk9
Posted 6/15/2010 10:50 PM (#445781 - in reply to #445756)

Lens Creep - 6/15/2010 7:06 PM

I once saw a guy catch a mid-30 inch muskie and take 10 minutes removing the hook from it's mouth while the fish was lying on the boat carpet. After finally removing the hook, he AND the two other guys he was fishing with all had a picture taken with the fish before releasing it.

That's just plain ignorant and irresponsible. Why would *anyone* think a fish can stay outta water that long!!??
Lens Creep
Posted 6/16/2010 7:04 AM (#445803 - in reply to #445428)

If the fish swam away, why would that person not think it would survive? They haven't been educated on delayed mortality, that's why. That was the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. Sean is a good muskie fisherman who has handled plenty of fish and knows exactly what he's doing. Of course the delayed mortality rate of his fish is going to be extremely low. But the fish I described above ALSO swam away, so without anything else to go by why would that angler NOT think the fish was fine and would live to fight another day? I assume that fish expired within an hour, but who knows. That is the type of angler we need to get information to, but I still don't know the best way to do it.
john skarie
Posted 6/16/2010 7:17 AM (#445805 - in reply to #445428)

The best way to do it is to get it out there. There are plenty of TV shows that feature muskie fishing, but very little time spent talking about fish handling. Unlike most fly-fishing shows that feature trout fishing and place an emphasis on the importance of fish handling and habitat.

Besides Esox Angler there hasn't been a whole lot of print about muskies and delayed mortality/fish handling either.

The biggest problem I see is that so many anglers that do catch lots of fish have an attitude that "it's just a fish".

The perception is that the guys who do talk about fish handling are over the top and just want to tell everyone else what to do.

We'll see how many people feel that way when the 50"ers become more scarce in MN after these late 80's and ealy 90's stockings which boomed here start to die off, and we're left with the populations that have endured the heavy pressure as those fish grew up.

JS
Mary
Posted 6/16/2010 2:10 PM (#445877 - in reply to #445805)

john skarie - 6/16/2010 7:17 AM

ither.

The biggest problem I see is that so many anglers that do catch lots of fish have an attitude that "it's just a fish".

The perception is that the guys who do talk about fish handling are over the top and just want to tell everyone else what to do.

JS

I just have to ask, if it's not just a fish, what is it? In your perception, that is.
jonnysled
Posted 6/16/2010 2:18 PM (#445879 - in reply to #445877)

Mary - 6/16/2010 2:10 PM

john skarie - 6/16/2010 7:17 AM

ither.

JS

I just have to ask, if it's not just a fish, what is it? In your perception, that is.

It's a Musky Mary ...
Lens Creep
Posted 6/16/2010 5:24 PM (#445917 - in reply to #445428)

I think John is refering to the investment it takes to be able to catch a muskie. It's not like a carp or Bullhead in which there are numerous lakes to fish for them and plenty of fish to go around. Just getting them in a new lake is quite an ordeal as most of the guys here know. To buy muskies to stock in a lake can cost around $25.00 each or more depending on which size you choose to stock. It's quite an investment into the resource to have a lake that produces decent size fish and most people here, just like John, don't enjoy seeing the fish treated like crap by people who really could care less if it lived or died. It becomes much more personal in a way for a few people, which is a good thing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)