Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> bucktail bite!

Message Subject: bucktail bite!
Anonymous
Posted 6/5/2010 12:27 PM (#444065)
Subject: bucktail bite!

stupid question maybe but not sure if I should set the hook when fish hit bucktails or not? I see people trolling on t.v. with them occasionally and don't remember seeing them setting it. but other times here people talk about setting it on boatside fish on the 8 and setting it opposte directions the fish is going! so it sinks it into the corner of the mouth.
BWB
Posted 6/5/2010 1:16 PM (#444068 - in reply to #444065)
Subject: RE: bucktail bite!

When your trolling the boat sets the hook, but when your casting let her rip as hard as you can, dont be shy even give her a second shot.
muskyhunter63
Posted 6/5/2010 1:30 PM (#444069 - in reply to #444068)

When casting, set the hook so hard your hat falls off!
Ken

Edited by muskyhunter63 6/5/2010 1:32 PM
pepsiboy
Posted 6/5/2010 6:23 PM (#444097 - in reply to #444068)

BWB - 6/5/2010 2:16 PM

When your trolling the boat sets the hook, but when your casting let her rip as hard as you can, dont be shy even give her a second shot.

i highly disagree,if you troll at lets say 4 mph no hook set is needed,when we cast a bucktails the speed is generally very close to 4 mph or even faster so why a hook set that hard and a second?
second hook set is the best way to lose a fish.
big hole in the mouth =biggest chance to lose a fish
bucktails is just a piece of wire with 2 hooks,there is no restriction so imo just a lil fore harm,or wrist movement is required
BWB
Posted 6/5/2010 6:50 PM (#444099 - in reply to #444097)

So how hard do you actually think your hook set is? I'll be shocked if you break 5 lbs. Try it with a scale that marks your weight you will be shocked, and if you think that your 3-5 lbs hook set is going to rip a muskies mouth, try again.
Joe Cal
Posted 6/5/2010 7:15 PM (#444103 - in reply to #444065)
Subject: Re: bucktail bite!

when trolling your rod is secure in a rod holder and doesnt move, when a fish hits while casting and retrieving your arms move toward the fish from the pull of it hitting. So yes a hookset is required.
leech lake strain
Posted 6/5/2010 9:21 PM (#444117 - in reply to #444065)

actually had that problem this morning, lost a nice fish on a bucktail I set the hook but just a quick small one I think maybe not hard enough though, after losing the fish I feel like I dint set it hard enough!
NJ Musky
Posted 6/6/2010 8:58 AM (#444133 - in reply to #444117)

The angle of the hook set is very important. The top of the mouth is very boney so if you lift the rod straight up on the set you might not be needing the net. One nice side arm set into the softer side section of the mouth works for me. I got this one 1:00am Saturday morning on a Black & Purple Cowgirl.

Edited by NJ Musky 6/6/2010 9:02 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P6040112WA.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P6040112WA.jpg (45KB - 122 downloads)
pepsiboy
Posted 6/6/2010 3:06 PM (#444169 - in reply to #444099)

BWB - 6/5/2010 7:50 PM

So how hard do you actually think your hook set is? I'll be shocked if you break 5 lbs. Try it with a scale that marks your weight you will be shocked, and if you think that your 3-5 lbs hook set is going to rip a muskies mouth, try again.

i have seen a pike who have choose to try a undertaker.believe it or not my extreme hook set have make a cut of 5 inch long in his upper mouth.maybe my young muscle are just 2 strong
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/6/2010 5:29 PM (#444187 - in reply to #444133)

NJ Musky - 6/6/2010 8:58 AM

The angle of the hook set is very important. The top of the mouth is very boney so if you lift the rod straight up on the set you might not be needing the net. One nice side arm set into the softer side section of the mouth works for me. I got this one 1:00am Saturday morning on a Black & Purple Cowgirl.

Another subject that can get overthought in a hurry. A lot of times you are somewhat limited in the hookset. To read people's comments, you would think that there are all these choices in hook setting. Get the fish to bite, give it the best jerk possible under the circumstances, and live with the results.
Mr Musky
Posted 6/6/2010 8:08 PM (#444208 - in reply to #444065)

I've put quickstrike rigs right through the top of the ski's mouth. I'd think 5 lbs is pretty sufficient. Put a razor sharp treble on a 5 lb weight and hang it from your lip. Better yet bite a sharp treble and have your buddy drive away with the rod.
triton1
Posted 6/6/2010 8:23 PM (#444213 - in reply to #444208)

It's all about the feel really.

Meaning if it felt good the first time, leave it be. If in question, hit it again. Keep the slack out and do it again if you feel like you didn't get a good solid set. It comes with time and experience.

**Disclaimer** I'm not supporting the tuna pump.
mnmusky101
Posted 6/6/2010 9:52 PM (#444223 - in reply to #444068)

BWB, I agree completely, let it rip low and to the side. But I have heard from multiple guides to never set it twice

Edited by mnmusky101 6/6/2010 9:54 PM
NJ Musky
Posted 6/7/2010 9:27 AM (#444279 - in reply to #444223)

mnmusky101 - 6/6/2010 9:52 PM

BWB, I agree completely, let it rip low and to the side. But I have heard from multiple guides to never set it twice

I agree.

For Busktails it's once, low and to the side. Lifting up on the hookset is a mistake.
muskie-addict
Posted 6/8/2010 8:00 AM (#444424 - in reply to #444279)

I always look to make sure I can see the bait in the fish's mouth before setting the hook. Yeah, it sounds tough. It takes practice. Doing this also lets me know where the bait is in the fish's mouth, so I know if I should sweep sideways, straight up, down low, or just a reel set. If I'm really feeling sassy, I'll roll the rod and spin my body to face the other direction so the line actually rotates, to get the proper hook in their mouth. Usually one of the three trebles I keep extra, extra sharpened. When I see that a fish has really tough mouth parts, I'll rotate my gear as the fish strikes to aim that one super sharp hook at their mouth.

#$%^&*!!!! Bwah?

Are you people serious?

95% of this amounts to keeping a TIGHT LINE AND LOW ROD TIP throughout the fight, no matter if you were casting or trolling. Most of the time, the fishy does all the work for you before you had time to react.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/8/2010 8:24 AM (#444427 - in reply to #444424)

I think it is funny when a guy looses a fish on the hook set, the first thing he says is I should have set the hook harder ?????? With XXXXXH rods and 100lb test line and lock down drags I thing he should say WOW I rip that out of his mouth !!!!! A fast snap of the rod is what I do and reel as fast as U can, to take up any slack in your line. Sharp hooks over a Babe Ruth Home Run Hook set anyday for me.
I like muskie - addict idea on how to fight a fish.
The only time I will hook set hard is on a Dawg !!!!!

Edited by PIKEMASTER 6/8/2010 8:25 AM
Hammskie
Posted 6/8/2010 8:25 AM (#444428 - in reply to #444424)

muskie-addict - 6/8/2010 8:00 AM
I always look to make sure I can see the bait in the fish's mouth before setting the hook. Yeah, it sounds tough. It takes practice. Doing this also lets me know where the bait is in the fish's mouth, so I know if I should sweep sideways, straight up, down low, or just a reel set. If I'm really feeling sassy, I'll roll the rod and spin my body to face the other direction so the line actually rotates, to get the proper hook in their mouth. Usually one of the three trebles I keep extra, extra sharpened. When I see that a fish has really tough mouth parts, I'll rotate my gear as the fish strikes to aim that one super sharp hook at their mouth.

Hahaha! Excellent material. But I've got the secret to setting the hook on a bucktail bite... wait for iiiiiitttt...

Go fishing more often! You'll get to feel more bites, and your catch/miss ratio will let you know if you're doing it right. I don't take time to "think" about how I'm setting the hook each time... I instantly respond to what I feel on the other end, and you can't teach that feeling to someone who's never felt a tick-slack, a slack-boom, the rumble, the rumble-slack, the two-foot-o-slack, the bump, the tug-bump, the freight train, or the t-bone... you just have to go feel it for yourself.
Tim Schmitz
Posted 6/8/2010 8:39 AM (#444432 - in reply to #444428)

Andy I think most of the bites you listed are in the Kama sutra. LOL
muskie-addict
Posted 6/8/2010 8:45 AM (#444434 - in reply to #444432)

I will say that for whatever reason, most of the fish I whiff on, I whiff on a bucktail. Sounds odd, but usually its a thump, a hookset, and either there's a hard-wired fish on the other end, or the bucktail is hurtling toward the boat about 3' off the water and comin' in hot!

Waiting just a second is wise advice. Kinda like walleye fishing. Mono is different than braid. My ice fishing buddy taught me a thing or two about walleye hooksets through the ice. After a hit, a nice easy steady swiftish pull is better than a mousetrap snap reaction.

And yep, when using a pull bait like a suick or a dawg, making sure there, and then trying to break your rod is better than a reaction hookset.
Muskie Al
Posted 6/13/2010 11:02 PM (#445342 - in reply to #444065)

Everyone missed the boat here. A good hookset starts BEFORE you put the lure into the water. Sharpen your hooks to razor sharp. When the fish hits, the hook is already going in, then when you feel the right resistance from the fish, put some muscle into it.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/14/2010 11:11 PM (#445570 - in reply to #445342)

Muskie Al - 6/13/2010 11:02 PM

Everyone missed the boat here. A good hookset starts BEFORE you put the lure into the water. Sharpen your hooks to razor sharp. When the fish hits, the hook is already going in, then when you feel the right resistance from the fish, put some muscle into it.

Gee, I never thought of sharpening the hooks.  Hmmm....wonder how that'd work?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)