Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> WTD Action

Message Subject: WTD Action
buckedrake
Posted 5/18/2010 9:16 PM (#441498)
Subject: WTD Action

I was curious how aggressive you get with your wtd topwaters. Do you leave a pause in between jerks or just rip it in? Thanks
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 5/18/2010 10:09 PM (#441511 - in reply to #441498)
Subject: Re: WTD Action

I keep it very random, with a lot of pauses of different lengths. As for how agressive, I just try to mix it up, keep it erratic. It seems like a steady consistant wtd retrieve brings in more followers. Its the occasional pause with erratic jerks that get them unglued
PSYS
Posted 5/19/2010 6:04 AM (#441535 - in reply to #441498)

+1

I do the same. I've been starting out pretty rhythmic... but then about halfway back to the boatside, I've been going bezerk with my retrieve. Couple of rips here... a few pauses there... then slow it down... then speed it back up... I really try and make it as INconsistent as I possibly can.

I think you can do the consistent death march with the bait... but I'm trying to give them something they don't see everyday. And usually, that's what tempts the most finicky of eaters.
Kuhly
Posted 5/20/2010 2:40 PM (#441877 - in reply to #441498)

I usually switch it up cast to cast and see what the fish like. I usually change the direction of the bait with the rod tip once or twice during the retrieve as well. I do like to pause bait a couple of times as well, seems to be when I get strikes more often and have a better hook up percentage.
pamuskyhunter
Posted 5/20/2010 4:41 PM (#441902 - in reply to #441498)

First off i am no master at WTD for muskies but have had success with it.
I switch my presentations up alot to see what they want. First couple casts it normally is a nice steady retrieve then i switch to a steady retrieve with a few pauses in there and so on and on. I really get eratic and pause if i see a follow. I watched a video a good wile back that had alot of WTD techniques(cannot remember what it was) and it helped me out alot. Also u have to remember not all TWD lures are built the same and can be worked eratic. some actually work better with a steady retreive and pauses.

Edited by pamuskyhunter 5/20/2010 4:44 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)