Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky Fishing north of Wiley Point

Message Subject: Musky Fishing north of Wiley Point
MuskyMidget
Posted 2/16/2010 5:22 PM (#424096)
Subject: Musky Fishing north of Wiley Point

Hi:

I've been fishing the NW Angle for 9 years now. We never really have ventured and fished north of Wiley.

Just curious if any of you guys fish much further north than Big Narrows or Wiley area? And how the musky population is up there?

Thanks - Ball Cap
50inchGrinch
Posted 2/16/2010 6:38 PM (#424119 - in reply to #424096)
Subject: Re: Musky Fishing north of Wiley Point

Definitely a lower population, but some big fish around...
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/16/2010 6:58 PM (#424125 - in reply to #424096)

sent you a pm
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/16/2010 7:37 PM (#424130 - in reply to #424125)

When I first started fishing LOTW, Wiley Point was about as far north as we would venture from Oak Island too until one particularly slow (no?) fish trip when we decided to check out Ptarmigan Bay area. If you like rock fishing that area is hard to beat.

Long story short... we worked our way into Shoal Lake Narrows and that quickly became one of our favorite areas after August. We eventually just started bringing along tents and sleeping bags because of the distance, plus we could go anywhere and "camp on them" except Whitefish Bay.

The Moore Bay area was really nice too, but in the fall we just started staying at Ash Rapids Camp and either fished Ptarmigan or Shoal for the day depending on the weather.

The water is clear, and hooking up be difficult at times, but that general area provided the most enjoyable overall fishing experience on LOTW for me.

Good luck!
IAJustin
Posted 2/16/2010 8:39 PM (#424156 - in reply to #424096)

Whats up Ballcap? Are you staying at Frolanders this year? - there is lots of good stuff between Kenora and Wiley and big fish roam those waters - but if you are going to fish north of Wiley I would stay/launch in Kenora...
Breutzmann95
Posted 2/16/2010 8:55 PM (#424163 - in reply to #424096)

I have stayed at the NorthWest Angle and there is no need to go farther than Wiley. Though I would not recommend staying there because of the 10 mile trip to get to the open lake. But honestly it is Lake of the Woods and you can find muskies anywhere on that lake.
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/17/2010 10:16 AM (#424241 - in reply to #424156)

The main reason we roamed the lake like that from Oak Island was I had a friend with a guesthouse we could stay at for free anytime we wanted... it was a sweet deal! I actually reconfigured my boat with two sets of batteries, extra storage, and an extra gas tank for those long-range camping expeditions. Sometimes we would stumble into excellent fishing before our target area and have no reason to venture further... Quandary Bay would be red-hot sometimes for instance.

In the beginning of the trip we would just fish our way to different areas of the lake and then just camp where we moved fish. To each their own, but it was huge for us to be there at first/last light and be able to take a nap break in the middle of the day. In the summer we would typically just relax with an afternoon shore lunch and then head back out around five o'clock on those real nasty sunny days.

I no longer fish LOTW, but toward the end of that phase I actually enjoyed the camping and solitude almost as much as the fishing. My son and I used to have such a blast that I can remember him actually tearing up once when it was time to go home.

I agree, you would typically not want to launch out of the Angle to mainly fish north of Big Narrows, but with today's GPS I see no reason not to expand your horizons and check that water out for yourself.
MuskyMidget
Posted 2/17/2010 10:17 AM (#424242 - in reply to #424096)

Yep, staying at Frolander which is the perfect location because of my smaller boat. But, we are paying for meals that we don't even eat all the time. So I was looking at other resort options outside the angle that still do housekeeping plans.
Posted 2/18/2010 4:45 PM (#424525 - in reply to #424096)
Subject: RE: Musky Fishing north of Wiley Point

Lake of the Woods is so diverse that you shouldn't limit yourself to one particular area like the angle, breaking the lake down and learning different areas gives you the ultimate in versatility...finding greener pastures is sometimes only an hour's boat ride away.
dougj
Posted 2/18/2010 5:36 PM (#424534 - in reply to #424096)

There are fish where every there are islands.

There's really no better areas, there are fish almost every where. Some areas have slightly higher densities. Almost all areas have fishing pressure, coming from different directions.

Doug Johnson

ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/18/2010 5:44 PM (#424540 - in reply to #424534)

Let's see; the last time I checked musky fishing was still pretty good in Lac Seul, and I think that's well north of Wiley Point! Sometimes we over think the issue's - just go fish, you might find the next WR.

Have fun!
Al
MuskyKat
Posted 2/19/2010 9:04 AM (#424648 - in reply to #424540)

Bus Stop is the place if you're north of Wiley Point. When you see it you'll know why. Where is Bus Stop? Look for the sign.
Ryan Marlowe
Posted 2/20/2010 1:16 AM (#424742 - in reply to #424648)

The Bus doesnt stop there anymore
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)