Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Spring Northern Fishing

Message Subject: Spring Northern Fishing
fishingfrenzy
Posted 2/10/2010 12:17 PM (#422873)
Subject: Spring Northern Fishing

The Northern season on Lake of the Woods never closes on the main lake (Illegal to fish up rivers and ditches) but it is a hoot to fish at the mouths of these areas to hit the post spawn fish. Most people out of Warroad sit on the mouth of the river, either in boats or from shore, and usually do pretty well. However, I feel there may be more productive ways to find fish other than the direct area right off the the river. My question is, if you were going to fish this area, where would you go and what would you do? The main method of attack is to soak a frozen herring or live sucker under a float. Muck and mud shorelines. Remember, people are fishing the mouth as the ice goes out on the river first. Even when the lake is generally ice free, people still anchor up in the mouth. Thanks for any help!

Edited by fishingfrenzy 2/16/2010 8:53 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(map.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments map.jpg (70KB - 105 downloads)
dougj
Posted 2/12/2010 8:30 AM (#423201 - in reply to #422873)
Subject: RE: The Other White Meat

There really aren't too many spots that you can get on the lake except at the mouth of the Warroad River. Most of the other creeks that enter the lake don't have an access and or quite small little creeks or ditches. On the south shore between Warroad and Baudette the other access points are Zipple Bay and Bostic Creek that have any place to put your boat in, and no place to fish from shore. The fishing for northerns in these areas is done the same way that we do out of Warroad. I've tried casting a few things, with no success, in general the fish are post spawn and not aggressive. plus the water is very cold. They seem to like dead meat laying on the bottom or under a float. I don't think there's many areas on the lake that would allow you to take a boat along shore between the shore and the ice. I would guess that the fish are concentrated at the mouths of these rivers and creeks. Once the ice goes off the fish seem to disperse rapidly.

There are a few small creeks and ditches that get a run of pike in the spring, but they don't have boat access. The Rainy is open, but I haven't had much luck with northerns on the Rainy.

The area that would be interesting is Stoney Creek coming in on the south end of the NW Angle, but there are no roads to get you there. You'd have to go by windsled.

Remember there's a slot on pike on the Mn side of the LOTWs and all fish between 30" to 40" must be returned to the lake.

Doug Johnson
fishingfrenzy
Posted 2/16/2010 8:55 AM (#423987 - in reply to #423201)
Subject: RE: The Other White Meat

Thanks much for the reply. I always wondered if a Suick or something similar worked slowly enough could get a reaction. I remember the first time I ever went down there to fish I was throwing a Reef Runner and it got smacked boatside.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)