Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> rod tip repair question...

Message Subject: rod tip repair question...
STUSHSKY
Posted 2/5/2010 11:10 AM (#421871)
Subject: rod tip repair question...

what to use to properly secure a new tip on a rod? would regular super glue work? would two part epoxy be better? would either of those work just as good as whatever it is that i have seen that is heated up first before applying?
thanks...
tuffy1
Posted 2/5/2010 11:12 AM (#421873 - in reply to #421871)
Subject: RE: rod tip repair question...

All you need is a glue stick from a hot glue gun. Heat it up, rub some on the tip of the rod and a little inside of the guide itself, and put it on. Then keep the stick handy in the boat in case you ever need an on the water repair. If you use super glue or any other type of glue, it will be tough to get the tip off if you ever have to repair again. The glue from the stick you can heat up and slide the tip off again if needed.
Posted 2/5/2010 11:30 AM (#421877 - in reply to #421871)

super glue will work just fine.
Lee_Tauchen
Posted 2/5/2010 12:49 PM (#421890 - in reply to #421877)

When I worked at tackle shops we used knock or insert hot melt glue sticks that are used for assembling arrows for archery. Just put a lighter to the glue, spear some on the rod tip, and put the tip on. The excess glue will just peel off.

Hope this helps,

Lee Tauchen
http://LeeTauchen.com
lambeau
Posted 2/5/2010 1:11 PM (#421894 - in reply to #421871)

when replacing a tip-top i also add some shrink-tube.

- slide a proper size piece of shrink-tube onto the rod blank.
- glue the tip-top in place as described by others above
- slide the shrink-tube up to cover some of the rod and the bottom of the tip-top
- heat the shrink-tube so it snugs firmly in place

it just adds a bit more security to hold that tip in place.
muskie! nut
Posted 2/5/2010 3:16 PM (#421908 - in reply to #421871)
Subject: Re: rod tip repair question...

never use super glue
J Nail
Posted 2/5/2010 3:25 PM (#421909 - in reply to #421871)

Use 5 min epoxy for a more permanent, removeable fix. 5 min epoxy can be broken with heat if you need to replace it later. DON'T use superglue. you can use the hot glue stick also, but it doesn't adhere well to the stainless or carbide tips, and you may find your tip loose after you leave it in a hot vehicle. The glue stick is better for smaller rods. Get a good tip too, generally unless a tackle shop sells rod building supplies, they will only offer junk tips.
STUSHSKY
Posted 2/5/2010 4:25 PM (#421925 - in reply to #421909)

what is the problem with using super glue? have you tried it? and what happened?
Posted 2/5/2010 5:16 PM (#421935 - in reply to #421871)

Super glue make's it hard to get the tiptop of if it need's replacing.I don't no any rod builder that recomend's any thing but hot melt.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/5/2010 6:19 PM (#421949 - in reply to #421871)

Super glue will work. But if you ever crack the insert on that tip top you just superglued on, you're really going to wish you used anything but superglue.
Posted 2/5/2010 8:13 PM (#421966 - in reply to #421871)

I have been building custom rods for a while now. I would recommend NOT using super glue or any type of heat glue. Here is why. Super glue will take a while to bond. it bonds with the lack oxygen and is really tough to get the tip off again. Any of the hot glues work but do not hold up to musky equipment very long. All of my rod tips get glued on using a two part epoxy. Five minute is fine. If the tip breaks again you can still remove without damaging the blank. If you apply small amounts of heat to the tip, where the ceramic is, the heat with slowly transfer to the epoxy making it pliable. Then you will be able to pull it off. It is important to heat the tip up for about 3-4 seconds then wait about 10 seconds then do it again until you are able to pull the tip off. If you apply to much heat it can loosen the resin in the blank and then the blank is in jeopardy.
esoxfly
Posted 2/6/2010 12:07 AM (#421994 - in reply to #421966)

guest - 2/5/2010 9:13 PM

I have been building custom rods for a while now. I would recommend NOT using super glue or any type of heat glue. Here is why. Super glue will take a while to bond. it bonds with the lack oxygen and is really tough to get the tip off again. Any of the hot glues work but do not hold up to musky equipment very long. All of my rod tips get glued on using a two part epoxy. Five minute is fine. If the tip breaks again you can still remove without damaging the blank. If you apply small amounts of heat to the tip, where the ceramic is, the heat with slowly transfer to the epoxy making it pliable. Then you will be able to pull it off. It is important to heat the tip up for about 3-4 seconds then wait about 10 seconds then do it again until you are able to pull the tip off. If you apply to much heat it can loosen the resin in the blank and then the blank is in jeopardy.

It's not often I agree 100% with a guest, but here I do. I've been building rods for a long time, and epoxy is all I've ever used, and it's removable in just the manner mentioned above.
ToothyCritter
Posted 5/7/2013 11:12 AM (#639707 - in reply to #421871)

Where do you purchase the replacement tips?
esoxaddict
Posted 5/7/2013 11:42 AM (#639713 - in reply to #421871)

Hey Mike, check Gander/Bass Pro/Cabela's. They have all different size tips. There's even a kit you can buy that has the glue, a bunch of different size tips, and a gauge to measure the blank to see what size you need. Last time I checked, the tip top guides are like $6 for a Fuji/Alconite guide and $4 something for the cheapo's.

You can also order the stuff from Mudhole if you want to go that route.

horsehunter
Posted 5/7/2013 11:50 AM (#639714 - in reply to #421871)

Most tackle shops beter quality from rod building supliers. I bought 3 good enough for my grandkids rods Eagle Claw 3 sizes and glue for $5. at Canadian Tire (auto sporting goods store ) Muskie size will be a bit harder to find but rod building supliers will have them or you could steal from a rod you no longer use

esoxaddict types faster than me
ToothyCritter
Posted 5/7/2013 4:17 PM (#639793 - in reply to #421871)

Mudhole it is, Ganders are too small. Tried that already.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/7/2013 5:17 PM (#639805 - in reply to #421871)

If it is a St. Croix they sell the exact tip on their website that will for sure for the rod.
Zib
Posted 5/7/2013 9:31 PM (#639873 - in reply to #421966)

guest - 2/5/2010 9:13 PM   It is important to heat the tip up for about 3-4 seconds then wait about 10 seconds then do it again until you are able to pull the tip off. If you apply to much heat it can loosen the resin in the blank and then the blank is in jeopardy.

I learned that the hard way.

I've used the hot glue on a tip for a walleye jigging rod & after a long time in the sun the tip came loose.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)