Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fitness question

Message Subject: Fitness question
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 2/4/2010 11:14 AM (#421656)
Subject: Fitness question

The Jim Saric article in Musky Hunter from Feb/Mar 2002 was on off-season conditioning for musky fishing. It is out of print and not available. Things have probably changed with the longer rods, heavier reels, and heavier baits. If anyone has a background in physiology, would they post the muscle groups we should be addressing in the off-season to cast long hours for an entire season?
Thanks,
Tom

I am also anticipating the humorous answers, like, "bicep curls with a bottle of jack".
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2010 11:51 AM (#421664 - in reply to #421656)
Subject: Re: Fitness question

From my experience, all of them... at least that's what hurts when I get off the water after a long day.

Even the one between the ears.
Slow Rollin
Posted 2/4/2010 12:00 PM (#421666 - in reply to #421656)
Subject: RE: Fitness question

definetly work out in the off season.....i start working out right when the season ends. it will definetly help you fish longer and feel better through out the next season.... a great start would be purchasing PX 90 Video and following that. any time you can increase lean muscle it will help prevent injury. weight training is a must if you can. however diet can be equally as important. supplements will help in your traing ( i would start researching what supplements to use and diet recommendations). PM if i can help w/ any questions.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/4/2010 12:10 PM (#421670 - in reply to #421656)

I am currently seeing a Kinesiotherapist who also does wellness training (use to work with the Packers) for back/neck issues, and am getting specific exercises to do to help me with the therapist keeping in mind what I enjoy to do.

The area he is stressing on the most is the core. Everything stems from your abs, but also your mid back muscles. Find some exercises to do to strengthen those, and the standard sit-up is NOT a good one.

Another huge issue I have is my shoulders, and am doing exercises to strengthen the upper shoulders between the “blades”, but not the top of your shoulders. Along with this is leg strengthening exercises. Legs are another key in helping reduce back issues.

As you can see basically it is all of the muscles. What I am learning is you have to be balanced in strength in all the different muscles throughout your body as they are all connected in some way. You would be amazed in what areas can hurt as a result from a tight muscle in another area of your body. However everything originates from the core, and having a strong core is essential in staying “in shape” especially for anyone that suffers from back issues like I am.

Go to Wal-Mart and get some of those resistance bands. They are pretty cheap. Find out what exercises you can do with them, and learn the correct way to do them. Hopefully I can add more once I have spent a few more weeks with this guy.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/4/2010 12:13 PM (#421671 - in reply to #421656)

I forgot to add. I see Al Lindner's son is also doing something called Fit 4 Fishing. I got a little book in the mail with my DVD order from them. Some good stretches to do in there.

Also as Slow Rollin mentioned...Nutrition. Cut out Sugar. Cut out fried foods. I am drinking a min. of 100 oz of water a day, and also taking supplements. Fish Oil is a big one!
CiscoKid
Posted 2/4/2010 1:30 PM (#421696 - in reply to #421656)

Link to Fit 4 Fishing.

http://www.fit4fishing.com/
Dave Williamson
Posted 2/4/2010 2:32 PM (#421700 - in reply to #421656)

I do a lot of cardio work. Sometimes I am fishing 20 hr days in the summer and I think it important to have the endurance to handle it day in and day out. Most of my buddies that are big bulky seem to really run into a lot of shoulder issues towards the end of the season. So, I would have to agree with the lean muscle philosophy.
Muskie Treats
Posted 2/4/2010 3:17 PM (#421709 - in reply to #421656)

About 3 years ago I was well on the way to becoming the "fat dad" and changed my ways. During that time I dropped around 30-40# of fat and now run at around 10-15% body fat depending on how much partying we're doing and lift 2-3x more then when I started. I used to have a lot of back pain and would quit fishing on some days, now I never do. Working your legs and core will get you there faster then anything else.

If you go to a gym with some decent equipment here's a few things you can do to get you there. ***Note have a trainer make sure your form is correct otherwise you will more then likely hurt yourself and/or not gain the benefit from them***

Squats - legs and core
Front Squats (where the bar is resting on your upper chest) - legs and core
Dead Lifts - glute, back and core
Bent Rows - core, back and tri's
Seated Rows- back, core, arms
Lunges - legs and glute

Upper body is good too, but when you do these lower body exercises using your large muscle groups you will see improvement all over. This is because of the hormones released after doing these go though your entire body. In one study where there were 3 groups of people 1 upper body only work outs, 2 balanced "traditional" workout and, 3 lower only, the groups 1 and 3 saw the same upper body gains.

muskellunged
Posted 2/4/2010 3:24 PM (#421710 - in reply to #421656)

Being fit and healthy is important to everyone.

That said, I think musky fishing is like bowling in that you can be out of shape and still get it DONE.

Plus, fat guys set the hook harder.
Slow Rollin
Posted 2/4/2010 3:31 PM (#421712 - in reply to #421710)

muskellunged - 2/4/2010 3:24 PM

That said, I think musky fishing is like bowling in that you can be out of shape and still get it DONE.

good luck w/ that in the long run or those real long days when your really pressing to get a bite or after a long day the fish turn on and your dead tired....you could always troll
Top H2O
Posted 2/4/2010 4:39 PM (#421727 - in reply to #421712)

WOW!
This thred is way to serious for me.......Anybody ever hear of hard WORK for staying in shape? Basketball, Hocky,Splitting fire wood(with an ax) Shoveling Snow(with a real shovel) ??? I don't have the time for exersize. life is to short, but if you like that sort of thing, then go for it.

Mr. Worrall, Muskie fishing is supposed to relax the mind not work it, right ?
Relax,,

Jerome
Slamr
Posted 2/4/2010 4:59 PM (#421731 - in reply to #421710)

Having fished in an out of shape state and while in shape, I'd say you might not realize that you would feel better over all after a day of fishing if one were in better shape. But, if you think that carrying an extra 30lbs makes for a better day of fishing, keep eating those donuts.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/4/2010 5:01 PM (#421733 - in reply to #421710)

You can get it done for half a day, or even a long day, but when you start talking about week long trips and 10 hour days? Once you hit 40 you ain't gettin' it done without a lot of pain and a lot of Advil unless you're in good shape.

As for setting the hook harder? Women and children can set the hook hard enough. I'm pretty sure I don't need to be a fat guy to get a good hookset. And when the fat guy is sitting down or has stopped doing figure 8's, or slowed down casting, who is going to catch more fish?

Edited by esoxaddict 2/4/2010 5:42 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/4/2010 5:10 PM (#421738 - in reply to #421656)

Brett Favre skips training camp, I think I'll be ok to fish. Though Favre doesn't win the big one, I guess that means I'll miss the big one. I can settle for the 45 incher though.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/4/2010 5:32 PM (#421743 - in reply to #421733)

esoxaddict - 2/4/2010 5:01 PM
You can get it done for half a day, or even a long day, but when you start talking about week long trips and 10 hour days? Once you hit 40 you ain't gettin' it done without a lot of pain and a lot of Advil unless you're in good shape.

You got it EA.

I know I am out of shape (IMO) during the season, but I still manage it hard to find someone that can go at it with me all day consistently. Those that can are those that workout pretty religiously.
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2010 7:25 PM (#421764 - in reply to #421656)

Jerome,
That mind needs to be active and in shape in order to truly appreciate the experience and ....relaaaaaax.
muskie_man
Posted 2/4/2010 7:28 PM (#421766 - in reply to #421656)

My workout consists of heavy lifting of cheeseburgers and pizza with a little bit of fishin on the side!
Top H2O
Posted 2/4/2010 7:28 PM (#421767 - in reply to #421764)

Oh, Yaaaa......and I love donuts.. + I'm happy.

Edited by Top H2O 2/4/2010 7:57 PM
BenR
Posted 2/4/2010 7:42 PM (#421770 - in reply to #421656)

Everything you do in life is better if you are in shape...muskie fishing is really not hard work, but not be able to do it better. I don't think I have ever been in better shape in my life and it really has made a big difference for me...BR
CiscoKid
Posted 2/4/2010 8:02 PM (#421777 - in reply to #421770)

BenR - 2/4/2010 7:42 PM

Everything you do in life is better if you are in shape...muskie fishing is really not hard work, but not be able to do it better. I don't think I have ever been in better shape in my life and it really has made a big difference for me...BR

Wow, not hard work? Perhaps if you throw Mepps #5's all day, or gliders. Like anything it is as hard as you want to make it I guess. Unfortunately I have chosen the hard route and jerks cranks for 16-20 hours a day. Somebody that is not in shape cannot do it, and ends up tossing rubber or prop style topwaters in my boat as a rest.

Or take the guys that are tossing pounders all day, or burning double #10's all day.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/4/2010 9:04 PM (#421781 - in reply to #421656)

6 days straight throwing nothing but cowgirls will hurt 'ya, especially when you have fish coming up a few times an hour and going round and round and....

firstsixfeet
Posted 2/4/2010 9:44 PM (#421797 - in reply to #421656)

Oh crikey.
You excercise guys are the same bunch that would run to the ER to have a hook removed, and probably have a slice of quiche in your lunchbox. Just cast, and pass the ibuprofen please!
Slow Rollin
Posted 2/4/2010 9:48 PM (#421798 - in reply to #421797)

even if you dont care if working out helps your fishing performance........working out, eating a good diet, and overall increasing your health will lower you risk factors for more serious illnesses (diabetes) or critical illness (stroke) as well.
Top H2O
Posted 2/4/2010 10:10 PM (#421801 - in reply to #421798)

Slow Rollin,
Are you a Dr. ? and do you have to be sooooo serious, Relaaaaaxxxxx, and have a giant, Jelly filled Krispy Kreem....... and wash it down with a full bodied Beer ........ em,em , Good............. THEN go jog 20 miles.
Jerome
Jim Saric
Posted 2/4/2010 10:54 PM (#421810 - in reply to #421801)

There are a lot of good points here. I'll try and dig up that article and post it tomorrow. A friend of mine is a personal trainer and he developed a workout based upon what he felt were the major muscle groups being used when fishing. Of course, you can't just focus on one part of the body but work on all parts for total balance and conditioning.

A few things to consider. After having reconstructive shoulder surgery on my casting shoulder a few years ago, I can tell you it's very important to take care of the smaller muscles around your shoulder. Rotator cuff-type injuries are pretty common among musky fisherman, due to the repetative overhand motion. Make sure to do some light excercises with various smaller muscle groups around the shoulder.

The core work as mentioned above is also key. It will keep your back from hurting in big waves or just a long day on the water.

Cardio work including a little coordination-type cardio such as jump rope is a real good idea. When operating a foot pedal with one leg, particularly in wind, the extra balance really helps and these type exercises help with balance. More important is that cardio work, can get you into shape which ultimately helps the mental aspect of musky fishing. I find being in good physical condition results in not being impacted by the elements such as heat during the summer. So, you can focus more on musky fishing, spot decisions, etc.

Last thing to add is to do some hand stretches. Extend your arms on a table with your palms flat on the table and apply pressure. This will help preven the nerves from pinching in your wrist area. Its a common carple tunnel prevention exercise. Believe me using the big blades or chucking heavy baits can lead to problems. Again, carple tunnel is more common among anglers then most people realize.

Is this type of approach taking musky fishing too far or seriously...that's a personal choice. I think it feels great to exercise regularly and try and stay in shape. Then again, I rarely pass on desert.....at least I don't feel as guilty.
BenR
Posted 2/4/2010 11:09 PM (#421812 - in reply to #421777)

CiscoKid - 2/4/2010 8:02 PM

BenR - 2/4/2010 7:42 PM

Wow, not hard work? Perhaps if you throw Mepps #5's all day, or gliders. Like anything it is as hard as you want to make it I guess. Unfortunately I have chosen the hard route and jerks cranks for 16-20 hours a day. Somebody that is not in shape cannot do it, and ends up tossing rubber or prop style topwaters in my boat as a rest.

Or take the guys that are tossing pounders all day, or burning double #10's all day.

It is not hard work...I choose to not throw pounders and the such, but I could all day with no issue...but I live a different lifestyle, so I look forward to and enjoy hard activities...I also had back surgery 9 years ago and realized it was much better to be in shape, than out of shape...BR
esoxaddict
Posted 2/4/2010 11:42 PM (#421816 - in reply to #421656)

Yeah. I used to make fun of the old guys too. "Aw suck it up -- drink until 4, get up at 6, have a couple cups of a coffee and a donut or something, cast for 12 hours, go to the bar, have a burger and some wings, top it off with 6 beers or maybe 10... What, are 'ya some kind of broad?"

You young guys, man... Enjoy that crap while you can, because one day you'll wake up and you won't be able to do it anymore, especially if you make your living behind a desk. You can laugh about it until you find ourself out on the water three days into a trip thinking "crap. That HURTS! I'm not sure I'm going to last three more days! I don't know what happened, I used to be able to pound the water for 12 hours on two hours sleep and no food, still half drunk from last night..."

Many of you know what I am talking about. Those of you who don't, will. I've seen enough guys, guys younger than me, having to sit down and take breaks, stop casting, gobbling Advil like its candy, complaining about this or that that hurts or went numb...

fish4musky1
Posted 2/5/2010 12:59 AM (#421819 - in reply to #421656)

Definitely work all major muscle groups. Squats, dead lifts, and cleans are three of the most effective lifts. Treat your body as a whole where all muscles should be equally balanced, they are all important (especially legs and core). Just focus on the getting in good physical shape and it will pay off on the water and in many other aspects of life. Eat healthy, lift weights and stretch and you should start feeling a lot more energized. Believe it or not, stretching is very important to preventing injuries and pain. I bet alot of the pain that is causing fishermen to pop advils could be solved by stretching. Lifting weights is said to be one of the most effective methods to slowing down aging of the body. There are tons of websites out there with good lifting/diet/stretching guides to help get started.. you can pm me and I can send you some links.
From my own experience, even when I was around 20 percent body fat I was feeling sluggish and pathetic. I can't imagine what getting in the upper 20's would feel like. Getting in shape really has helped me feel more energized and life is much better! Plus there are no benefits of being overweight... only countless health problems.
Also, being able to row a boat across a 300 acre lake through 25 mph winds and white caps is physically demanding, if i wasn't in good enough shape to do that I wouldn't have caught a musky one day!!! so being in shape paid off!
fish4musky1
Posted 2/5/2010 1:18 AM (#421820 - in reply to #421810)

Jim Saric - 2/4/2010 10:54 PM

I think it feels great to exercise regularly and try and stay in shape. Then again, I rarely pass on desert.....at least I don't feel as guilty.

There is nothing wrong with eating dessert. As long as your burning more calories than you are eating you will loose fat. Working out also gives me reason to justify eating that bowl of ice cream at night!

For those of you who think that in order to get in shape you must drop all unhealthy food and start eating like a dieting woman, its untrue. Just limit portions and become conscious about what your putting in your mouth. If you put more calories in your body than you burn, you will gain fat. Put in less, loose fat.
heres a basic tip to loose fat:

- Find your BMR- this is the esitmated amount of calories you burn during the day. (The calculations online are never 100 percent accurate but a god place to start)
http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

-It will give you an estimated amount of calories needed to maintain weight. If you want to loose fat then subtract about 500 calories from this total and try to eat about that many. If you eat 500 calories under maintenance level per day you will loose about a pound of fat per week.
7days x -500 cals= -3500 cals
3500 cals= 1 lb fat

here's a great message board with lots of good info:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I guarantee any question you may have has been asked on there, just search it up. There are also lifting guides to help learn some new lifts and understand what muscles are targets by each lift.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/5/2010 5:59 AM (#421822 - in reply to #421812)

BenR - 2/4/2010 11:09 PM
I also had back surgery 9 years ago and realized it was much better to be in shape, than out of shape...BR

Ben now I get why you think it is easy...as you are in shape!

I think those that are not wanting to listen to those of us who have experienced the pain are foolish. IT WILL HAPPEN. EA mentiones getting older and seeing issues. Heck I am only 33 and am going through quite a bit right now in the way of muscle issues. That is coming from someone that was in pretty good shape due to the sports I was in, and only being anywhere from 5.5-8% body fat. I thought I was invincible, and that nothing would happen to me. My issue was I slowly phased out of sports, did nothing in the off seasons, and pushed my body too far during the season with 20+ hour days. Also the repetative motion we go through as fisher people, and my dailey job (office) all accumulated up to big big mess.

I know some here are responding to keep things light and funny, but sitting here in my shoes I am not seeing it as such. I don't wish my issues upon anyone including my worse enemies. The question was asked on what muscle groups to address to stay in shape for fishing. Not whether or not a workout routine is needed for fishing, and if we should become pansies and start watching our health.

Sorry for the rant. I'll step off now.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)