Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Get off my spot you spot stealers!!!! Duck
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Suick style questions

Message Subject: Suick style questions
SteveP
Posted 1/26/2010 5:16 PM (#419723)
Subject: Suick style questions

I would really like to build a few suicks, my problem is that I have done a good deal of research and the only thing I can find on them is that they were originally made from rock maple. I have heard that this was a factor in why they acted like they did in the water....

What do you guys use to build them with?? Do you prefer the round of flat profile?? What lengths and how do you cut the cup out in the front??

Thanks in advance

Steve

Edited by SteveP 1/26/2010 5:32 PM
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/26/2010 5:49 PM (#419729 - in reply to #419723)
Subject: Re: Suick style questions

Steve,

i built a couple last year and I am happy with them. i made mine out of cedar and poplar. I turned them on the lath so the are more like the old round bottom. i playede with the weighting to get the action i wanted and it worked. i wanted them to work over submerged weeds with a lot of top action and with belly roll.
i made mine in the 7 to 9" range. I cut the front on th band saw an sanded it to the profile I wanted. i hope this helps.

MS
SteveP
Posted 1/26/2010 6:36 PM (#419743 - in reply to #419729)

Helps a ton, I had planned on turn the round bottoms on the lathe. You wouldn't happen to know about how you weighted (belly, tail, head) it would you?? Was that AYC or ERC??? I have both and also have a good bit of 1x2 ash and aspen was kinda hoping one of those would be good. Also can you give me a rough dimension on both of those??? I don't have one nor do I have a way to really get one and would like to know about what I am shooting for it to look like.

Steve
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/26/2010 6:50 PM (#419750 - in reply to #419723)

Steve,

I weighted them with 50 calib round balls. I weighted them to be front heavy, I put one weight where the cut face meets the body, and the other (s) behind the front screw eye (1 for the 7" and 2 for the 9") If you tape weight to the blank and float ot in a big beer cooler full of water you can get the positin in the water you like then mark where the weights are and use a fostner bit ti drill the hole. Glue weight into blank with epoxy or gorilla glue, seal with epoxy puddy and sand. For the cedar it was aq cedar deck spindle i bought from Home depot about 1.5 " diameter.

Best of luck,

MS
SteveP
Posted 1/26/2010 11:01 PM (#419831 - in reply to #419750)

Awesome, thanks... hadn't though of the 50 cal balls, I have been melting my leftovers from my blackpowder for all kinds of things. thanks again I'll let you know how it comes out.

Steve

Edited by SteveP 1/26/2010 11:02 PM
ldahlberg
Posted 1/21/2011 8:17 AM (#476724 - in reply to #419723)
Subject: RE: Suick style questions

The original suicks were made of white cedar and were not weighted at all. Many woods will work, but they must be buoyant. (fun fact: the original rapalas were made from the dark brown subsurface bark on local pine trees!)
The eddy baits were made of rock maple, a heavier, much less buoyant, more dense wood.
It's about specific gravity. Water has a specific gravity of 1.
Let's say you had two identical, missile shaped lures and one was made of buoyant wood (low specific gravity)like pine or cedar, and the another other of a heavy wood (specific gravity close to 1) like ash or rock maple.
If you toss the cedar one in the water and give it a jerk it will move toward you while you are pulling, then abruptly stop or even jump back.
Do the same with the heavy wood and it will glide.
Add lead to any wood until it is neutrally buoyant and it will glide.
Obviously, in addition to specific gravity, shape and balance determine action. You have to experiment with that and let the fish tell you which is best.
The original suicks had both a rounded back and bottom. Plus they were slightly wider in the front and narrower in the back.
The back to belly width at the thickest point was slightly thicker as well.
The reason I point out the small shape details is that they increase the buoyancy in the front, which increase the likely hood that after swimming down and stopping, the lure will give a sexy move to the side, then with an uncertain side to side movement actually SWIM FORWARD as it rises to the surface.
Good luck!
LD
esox69
Posted 1/21/2011 6:11 PM (#476864 - in reply to #476724)
Subject: RE: Suick style questions

larry, you're flippin' amazing!
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/21/2011 6:34 PM (#476867 - in reply to #419723)

Larry,

Thanks for the info! I love that stuff, the science behind the fun

Cool,Cool

MS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)