Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Avet SX MC 6/4 reel

Message Subject: Avet SX MC 6/4 reel
allegheny river kid
Posted 1/17/2010 1:59 PM (#417860)
Subject: Avet SX MC 6/4 reel

Anyone using these to cast double 10s and mag dawgs? I'm giving strong consideration to getting one for a new 9' rod i bought at the end of the season..Seems like i could beat on this reel for a few seasons..Any input greatly appreciated!
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/17/2010 3:11 PM (#417869 - in reply to #417860)
Subject: RE: Avet SX MC 6/4 reel

i used my sx mc 6/4 the back half of last season for exactly what you stated and it was simply fantastic. it's lighter than some of the other "db 10 reels" out there and the side plate has the same diameter as a luna 300 so its' easy to palm if you choose to. casts like a dream and built like a tank. i was amazed as it makes a db 10 feel like a #5 mepps coming thru the water. the two speed is useful too depending on what you are throwing at the time. it comes in a lefty version which is what finally "put me over the edge". i purchased mine from eddie at cabbage key rod and reel in florida. he is extremely knowledgable about these reels and easily answered many questions that i had before ordering. just make sure you tell him what rod you are going to put it on because they will have to switch out the feet to properly fit most musky rods out there...no big deal though just a couple of screws...

Edited by STUSHSKY 1/17/2010 3:14 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 1/17/2010 6:16 PM (#417888 - in reply to #417860)
Subject: Re: Avet SX MC 6/4 reel

STUSHSKY, I looked on the Avet web site. Am I seeing right that these reels have no line guide? If so, can you say a few words about that (pros/cons)? I like the fact that the it comes with a left side retrieve, to which me being right handed can keep my dominate hand on the rod, like I do for my spinning outfit.
allegheny river kid
Posted 1/17/2010 8:36 PM (#417923 - in reply to #417860)

Thanks STUSHSKY!!! I thought i remember reading about you having one..i'm gonna try one out, American made and built for saltwater, and lighter than saltists. All pros and few cons in my book. What reel seat do they come with? I'm gonna throw in on a 9' tackle industries rod..

Edited by allegheny river kid 1/17/2010 8:39 PM
kevin cochran
Posted 1/17/2010 9:10 PM (#417927 - in reply to #417860)

I bought my first one before opener of '07. It was an SX 2 speed and has a ton of hours on it. I since have added a MXJ 5.8:1 magged and and it is an incredible reel that will last for years of abuse. It is the lefty's answer to the Trindad 16N. As far as I know they haven't made many of these. If they don't have any in stock it might take awhile for it to get built.
They are made in the USA, California to be exact. I have talked to the operators at the factory and they have been very helpful.
I would purchase an Avet that is magged instead of one that is not. They are easier to cast the lighter baits. Also, the 2 speed is not necessary and quite a bit more money. I found that when fighting a fish on the lowest speed you are reeling very fast which can create slack line.
Charkbait is the place to buy the reels. They are the largest supplier of Avets and can get you which ever model you want. Also, they have some pretty crazy colors in stock.

tfootstalker
Posted 1/18/2010 9:19 AM (#417961 - in reply to #417860)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=48...
muskie! nut
Posted 1/18/2010 10:29 AM (#417969 - in reply to #417860)

Thanks for the link, tfoot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)