Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic

Message Subject: Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 1/1/2010 8:48 PM (#415076)
Subject: Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic

So how does the swap actually work, I've never been to it or any swap meet for that matter. Is there a bunch of lures people put out that you can buy. Idk this may be a stupid question. Just wanted to know if I should go to it after going to the show
sworrall
Posted 1/1/2010 9:07 PM (#415081 - in reply to #415076)
Subject: Re: Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic

Tons of lures, rods, reels and equipment for sale and trade by tons of people. It's a blast.
bridgeman
Posted 1/1/2010 9:09 PM (#415082 - in reply to #415076)

You definitely want to go. Great buys on alot of gently used equipment.
muskellunged
Posted 1/1/2010 9:53 PM (#415086 - in reply to #415076)

Picture a place where there is a big open room, with lots of circular tables, that are normally shared in half by two people, and sometimes as many as 4-5. Baits are placed ON the tables, usually without any price stickers. It is a large room, and it gets crowded early. Everyone takes a walk around and looks at the everyone's junk and gems, having a friend or an acquaintance watch their lures while they are away from the table. Deals are made, an generally the best route is asking "How much?" or working a trade that is mutually beneficial.

There is a mini bar in one corner with a TV on the wall, usually playing a playoff football game. And there is a full bar downstairs near the bowling alley which serves food. In another corner there are two large pool tables which are reserved for the heavy hitters(huge selections- often a guide pros) It's run by a guy named Andrew who wears glasses and goes by the alias Rabid Panda or Slamr'. He collects the canned goods from everyone (not required, but encouraged). You receive more tickets for ten cans or more, and they raffle off products from Okuma to those who donated food. It lasts a little more than 2 hours, and is a-w-e-s-o-m-e

sometimes you can find a steal of a deal at the end of the night, sometimes you miss out because you were holding out for a deal rather than snatching up a cool bait when you had the chance!

Edited by muskellunged 1/1/2010 9:56 PM
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 1/1/2010 10:17 PM (#415089 - in reply to #415076)

Sounds like a good time, looking forward to going!!!
Slamr
Posted 1/1/2010 11:15 PM (#415095 - in reply to #415076)
Subject: RE: Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic

Ryan_Cotter - 1/1/2010 8:48 PM

So how does the swap actually work, I've never been to it or any swap meet for that matter. Is there a bunch of lures people put out that you can buy. Idk this may be a stupid question. Just wanted to know if I should go to it after going to the show

A few basic pointers:

a. if you want to sell, get there early. tables will fill up by 7:45 at the latest.
b. if you want to win raffles, bring canned food items.
c. bring CASH. though I am pretty confident that the facility has an ATM machine there, the charge for use is probably $3.50 or more. i highly doubt anyone is going to be taking checks or credit cards.
d. bring canned food items.

Jonesi Unplugged
Posted 1/2/2010 6:08 PM (#415198 - in reply to #415076)
Subject: RE: Another Chicago Swap Meet Topic

Did someone say "fire sale". Hahahahahaha. Bring lots of cash!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)