Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> push button vs. thumb bar

Message Subject: push button vs. thumb bar
hawkeye9
Posted 12/31/2009 12:30 PM (#414771)
Subject: push button vs. thumb bar

Found a great deal on some new reels. Got me thinking though (not that its gonna change my decision). What do you guys find as advantages/disadvantages between a push button vs. a thumb bar. I'm guessing it has more to do with personal preference than anything. Perhaps though there is a difference in mechanical problems. Just wondering what you all think.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 12/31/2009 1:19 PM (#414783 - in reply to #414771)
Subject: RE: push button vs. thumb bar

Under stress the little push button will be hard to engage. Thumb bar bigger and easier to engage under stress. Not to mention easier to locate.
Flambeauski
Posted 12/31/2009 1:44 PM (#414790 - in reply to #414771)
Subject: Re: push button vs. thumb bar

If you you want to free spool on a figure 8 you want the thumb bar.
curleytail
Posted 12/31/2009 2:16 PM (#414792 - in reply to #414771)

I don't know that I can think of any advantages of the push button? I have only used the push button reels a little bit, and didn't like them much. I'm sure you get plenty used to the button, but I would go with the thumbar if I had a choice.

curleytail
muskie! nut
Posted 12/31/2009 6:17 PM (#414831 - in reply to #414771)

If you are right handed then and the crank is on the right, its hard to use a push button when you have to cross over the reel to depress it.

However, if you are like me right handed and crank with the left hand (like you would a spinning reel), its very easy to do and if there is any pressure on the spool, just use your thumb (as it will be on spool regardless) to roll back the spool to relieve that pressure and the push button is easily pushed to give you free spool.
AFchris
Posted 12/31/2009 8:50 PM (#414860 - in reply to #414771)

Thumb bar, one vote for what flambeau said~! Push buttons get stuck when there is alot of pressure!
ToddM
Posted 12/31/2009 9:14 PM (#414868 - in reply to #414771)

Depends on the reel too. I have a couple garcias that won't depress the thumbar under a load. I started out with a button and I am used to it it and i have not really seen any advantages at least for me. I can hit the freespool pretty easy with my right hand.
CASTING55
Posted 12/31/2009 9:46 PM (#414881 - in reply to #414868)

I use both kinds of reels and don`t have a preference over the 2,you can always loosen the drag after the fish hits on the 8,or push the button.I saw on the musky hunter that saric said to bend your knees to get pressure off your reel before you put the reel in free spool,I noticed that too a couple years ago and now I bend over a bit.
jwelch
Posted 1/1/2010 4:13 PM (#415047 - in reply to #414771)

Thumb bar!!

I started out with the garcia 6500 push buttons, not only do they get hard to push went pressure is them, it also made my thumb raw by the end of the day.

With a thumb bar it is not only all more comfortable through out the day. It is way easier to engage your reel when you start your figure 8.

I won't buy a reel without a thumb bar.

Jeremy
J Nail
Posted 1/4/2010 10:42 PM (#415580 - in reply to #414771)

I use them both, I don't really think that one works better than the other,but what I DON"T like about the thumb bar is when I fish glide baits, it seems like I hold the rod/reel differently, so that the thumb bar digs into my hand between my thumb and finger. I love them for bucktails though, they are quicker to find and push if you are casting and burning quickly. It comes down to personal preference, you have to try different reels out to find out whay YOU like, everyone is different. The only one I can't get used to so far is the lever on the 7000's. That seems like extra work to me, although they work really well for sturgeon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)