Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> flashers?

Message Subject: flashers?
MD75
Posted 12/13/2009 3:07 PM (#412526)
Subject: flashers?

I was watching Al Linder's fishing edge show and noticed that he was using "flasher" sonar equipment...I do not have any experience with this type of depth/fish finder, and had not seen them used on boats before(only on ice)...do any of you guys use this technology on your boat?...if so what do you see as the advantage to these units...Al Linder seems to be one of the best all around fisherman and he had two on his boat...any thoughts?

Matt
muskie! nut
Posted 12/13/2009 4:23 PM (#412541 - in reply to #412526)
Subject: Re: flashers?

1st and foremost the reading that you are looking at is the reading below the boat that that exact time. Unlike a screen, if you see a mark on the screen and depending on how fast you are moving, its could be feet to many yards behind you by the time you see it in the middle of the screen. Example - if you a running a high rate of speed, by the time you see the screen getting shallower, it maybe be too late to react. A flasher processes this information faster than a screen.

Also the folks that use flashers use them to find structure, not fish. While they do pick up schools of fish (and even thermoclines) and do it quite well, you have to keep and eye on the flasher to see them.

Edited by muskie! nut 12/13/2009 4:25 PM
reelman
Posted 12/13/2009 5:47 PM (#412553 - in reply to #412526)

The simple answer is look who sponsors Al Linders!

As for the flasher being faster than a graph that may have been true 10 or 20 years ago but it is no longer true, they are both just as fast. I like using a flasher for ice fishing but would never give up the "memory" of a graph on a boat.
VMS
Posted 12/13/2009 6:00 PM (#412555 - in reply to #412526)

I use a flasher on my console when I am running for the exact reason that Nut mentions. When I am running, the only thing that concerns me is knowing where the bottom is, or if I am searching for something, it is usually structurally related. I have the Vexilar FL-10 which replaced my speedometer dial on the console since the GPS gives me the speed reading anyway.

I used to have my FL-8 up front which I miss at times, but with the GPS technology and high detail mapping technology, I have made the jump to that...although I can use the flasher mode on the new units as well.

Steve
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2009 6:20 PM (#412560 - in reply to #412526)

reelman,
Al can and does use any equipment he chooses. He would not use any equipment he doesn't believe in and enjoy using.
Posted 12/13/2009 6:29 PM (#412563 - in reply to #412526)
Subject: RE: flashers?

I asked him why he uses a flasher and the answer was a simple one. He said it was because he used them long before any of the newer units came out and he was used to it and didnt feel like changing what worked for him
reelman
Posted 12/13/2009 8:30 PM (#412591 - in reply to #412526)

Steve, I know Al and he has more integrity than just about anybody I know but he still is persuaded by his sponsors.
sworrall
Posted 12/14/2009 9:44 PM (#412803 - in reply to #412526)

Hate to disagree. He influences his sponsors, directly, and that's a fact.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)